Looking for cinemas that show films in English

Hello everyone! First off, happy new year to you all.

I want to know if anybody knows of any cinemas that show Hollywood films in their original English language, because I really, really, really want to watch Machete. I only know that's it's being shown in Star Cinema, Port Louis, but I'm assuming it's only in French.

Aatish.

dude find a torrent

There is no cinema in English right now on the island, as far as I know, but there'll be soon in a few months time, from what I've heard.

As from 19 September 2011, Bagatelle shopping mall, the first regional shopping center will be open to the public, and if I'm not wrong, there'll be cinema in English there.

http://www.mallofmauritius.mu/http://i41.tinypic.com/2ch54e8.jpghttp://i43.tinypic.com/1ta0c4.jpg

Aint sure of those new cinema playing  movies in their original language.

It just is different when you cant watch a movie in english.

I would find a torrent, but my internet speed is even slower than the movements of the giant tortoises in Pamplemousses Gardens. It would be good if films are shown in English at the new mall. All films are better in their original language no matter which country it's from. Anyway, guess i'll just wait for DVD to come out.

Aatish wrote:

I would find a torrent, but my internet speed is even slower than the movements of the giant tortoises in Pamplemousses Gardens.

You are very funny ;) Nice one dude

How can I not help another Machete fan :) ? I have it on my laptop which is in my house which is in the North near Trou aux Biches. Do you know someone passing by who can bring it to you?

thanks for the offer mroncev, but I don't know anyone around trou aux biches. I'll just wait for the dvd.

Have load of DVDs. I buy them on ebay. You can get them for 2-3 pound + shipping 3 pound. Equivalent to a cinema ticket. I know watching in cinema is much better but at least its in English.
But my 55 inch TV helps a lot :D

I miss  going to the cinema, no matter how big your TV is its not the same as getting your popcorn and going to the movies!!!!!

Emma P wrote:

I miss  going to the cinema, no matter how big your TV is its not the same as getting your popcorn and going to the movies!!!!!

Ditto!! Its been almost a year since I watched a proper English Movie in a cinema hall, this after being used to watching one every other week!!
Hope that Mall of Mauritius keeps upto its promise of Multiplex with English Movies screened in English!!!

Maybe the current cinema halls should consider putting up Subtitles, the way they do for the Hindi Movies!!! Atleast we can understand whats being said!!

Yes even if they had subtitles it would be better than nothing. The last time I went to the cinema was May last year and I think I saw Sex in the City 2. 
When does Mall of Mauritius open, I really hope they are true to their word

19 September 2011 is the opening date as stated on the official website and facebook page, Emma.

I have also heard on the 'grapevine' that the cinema's at La Croisette being built in Grand Baie and due to open in 2012 will be showing movies in English.  Does anyone know if this is true? I sure hope so.

I heard that as well, HeyJude.

Here's an article I came across a few days ago.
--> Grand Baie: La Croisette

And it does say that there'll be "5-screen multiples cinema". And it will be opened in the midst of 2012, instead of the end of 2011 due to some lateness in their work.
La Croisette to be ready by 2012 <--

I think the prob with showing English films in Mauritius is not so much whether the cinemas will show it or not, but rather with the importer/distributor of the film stock itself. The thing is if a distributor actually imported the 'Reel Cans', it would not be viable to do so for just a few viewings. However, with the number of expats/tourists in the country, this situation could change. Also to note - some cinemas abroad now 'download' the films (like a DVD file really) and play it with 'new generation' cinema projectors. IF a cinema in Mauritius used this technology then they could download the English version on a 'per view' basis. Something to look forward to i guess!

ps: 25 years ago we did not have English newspapers in Mauritius. Today we have 3 (two hard copy and one downloaded. The downloaded one is daily) Mauritian newspapers. This is a sign that English is become more popular in Mauritius.

English is our National Language (Creole the mother tongue). It's a shame that we don't have enough movies in English here - cinema or on TV!

I think that'll change (hopefully!) as from this year.

I cant tell you how painful it was to watch an English movie in French and not get a word!! To add insult to injury the movie itself was terrible (wall street Money never sleeps)!!!

AM waiting eagerly for the English Cinemas to open up...

Here's a slightly wacky thought though..If some1 has a projector, and some1 a screen ( or we could do it on a wall) we could probably gather in place and mebbe have like a movie evening or something of Good english movies.. Just a thought...

Great thinking Musheer!

Here's the thing I find a little strange. Hollywood films orginally in English language are dubbed in French, yet Bollywood films have always been subbed in English.

Musheer that's a great idea, we could watch films and have a picnic or something.

musheer wrote:

I cant tell you how painful it was to watch an English movie in French and not get a word!! To add insult to injury the movie itself was terrible (wall street Money never sleeps)!!!

AM waiting eagerly for the English Cinemas to open up...

Here's a slightly wacky thought though..If some1 has a projector, and some1 a screen ( or we could do it on a wall) we could probably gather in place and mebbe have like a movie evening or something of Good english movies.. Just a thought...

You do come up with good ideas every now and then! :lol:

A white sheet would do as well.

Aatish wrote:

Great thinking Musheer!

Here's the thing I find a little strange. Hollywood films orginally in English language are dubbed in French, yet Bollywood films have always been subbed in English.

Thats because the majority are from Indian Origin and like to listen/watch the Bollywood Movies in HIndi... Not to mention they love the Songs in the original form... Think about how Complicated it will be to Dub hindi songs into french ( haan haan meine pyaar kya will sound as "Oui Oui J'ai amie" :P:P
)
The theatre owners could do US EXpats a favour if they atleast Subbed the dubbed versions in English. Atleast till the "promised Land" of English cinemas comes in the distant, i mean near :cough: near Future!!

I watched Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham in french!

Mate, hearing Shah Rukh speak french made me die of laughter literally!:idontagree:

And Harry Potter - hogwarts is called Poudlard! It's a shame. Really!

Thanks Nadsmeister I saw that as well, pity it does not mention what language the movies will be shown in.

Sorry, what I was trying to say was that if English films are dubbed over in French language, surely by that logic, Bollywood films would have to be subtitled in French rather than English.
That's what doesn't make much sense to me. (not that I'm complaining of course).

Anyway, on the subject of funny subtitling/dubbing whatever, here's this little gem i found a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJhCnB_6rE

Aatish wrote:

Sorry, what I was trying to say was that if English films are dubbed over in French language, surely by that logic, Bollywood films would have to be subtitled in French rather than English.
That's what doesn't make much sense to me. (not that I'm complaining of course).

Anyway, on the subject of funny subtitling/dubbing whatever, here's this little gem i found a few years ago.

It all depends on who is the distributor and from where and with whom that distributor has business dealings. For "western" movies, it has always been IIRC France and for Bollywood, no brainer from some company from India. Same M.O. for pharma drugs.

alisa_ram wrote:

I watched Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham in french!

Mate, hearing Shah Rukh speak french made me die of laughter literally!:idontagree:

And Harry Potter - hogwarts is called Poudlard! It's a shame. Really!

Watching that movie is bad enough, be it any language!!!! :p
It ranks among the most irritating movies evahh!!!

As for the other plan... can any1 source a projector??! we cud then think of a place!!

As for t movie, am sure we wont have much difficulty in sourcing them considering the well protected "legal" DVD market :P

I didn't go past the first 5 minutes. You're such a Hriiteeek fan :proud

Those DVDs they sell on the streets? Downloading is better.

The venue needs to be big enough as well. I have at home, am not sure it's still working. Need to check that.

Hi all,

Watched it 4 weeks ago. Good proper dvd version out in the s(hop)treets! :P

Not too bad for an entertainment, but not one i'd watch again. Too full of clichés, and bad CGI for my taste.

If Cinemas here are worried that not enough people will watch a movie in Englis (i think they are wrong if they think that)  they can do what every other non english country does....show them with sub-titles

Grief I will even watch the movie in friench if it had english subs.. (eventhough the dubbing into french must be some of the wors dubbing i have ever heard)

sagoodboy10 wrote:

Grief I will even watch the movie in friench if it had english subs.. (eventhough the dubbing into french must be some of the wors dubbing i have ever heard)

You can say that again!!!! There some great movies we have missed, and a few lined up, esp the ones which have been Oscar nominated and the Fantasy/Book based ones. Shame we cant see them.
While on the dubbing subject, I am guessing it will be spuah entertaining to go watch the King's Speech in French!! even if one doesnt understand a word, the dubbing should leave ya in splits :p :p

This is killing me! I have just moved here and i am a HUGE! Harry Potter fan and i refuse to watch the last harry potter movie ever on a blury pirated copy. I have already missed out on my year 12 graduation, year 12 formal, schoolies and not to mention no 18th birthday party so i am NOT going to miss this. I can always go back to Australia to visit friends and i have a birthday every year but this is the last time to be excited for the next film and i have always watched it the day the movie came out since i was in grade 5(or at least the first weekend if it came out on a school day) I wouldnt be so anoyed if it wasnt the last film. Sitting in that dark room with my friends eating all that cinema junk food and the loudness of the action is one of my most favourite feelings. I dont want to miss that for the last time :( especially knowing that my friends back home will be sitting in those big red chairs to watch harry potter at the cinemas for the last time without me *sigh*.....also subbtitles are not an option for me. i know thats being greedy and i should be happy that at least i can view it but how can i watch it if i need to read? i have already done that with the books!

Aatish wrote:

Thx for sharing this one :D

So true. I miss the cinema too. :( . Hope they open a cinema in cascavel.

Hello guys! I'm from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. And in my city very popular now to watch old classic movies on big screen with original sound. I used to go to such cinemas. And I'm thinking to open here something common.
I mean not NEW NEW movies, I mean something like classic or art house as Arisona Dreams, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, In the Mood for Love and many others..
How do you think, would it be popular?

Hi Olga,

+1 Great idea.
This is an old thread though.
Maybe you should start a new one.

Regards
Armand