Zuma + Zimbabwe = Zoo?

It's incredibly surreal to live a million miles away from the country and the people that you love - your ROOTS. I'm in the UK for awhile - and our plans are to return to South Africa as soon as we can: i.e. as soon as we have enough money to settle down and buy a house. (My fiance's a primary school teacher and earns a pittance in South Africa - whereas here he works at one of the best private schools and earns a really fantastic salary.) And yes, things are a bit safer here and all those other cliches - but it just ain't HOME...

When I saw Mbeki's stand-down speech, I was shocked into thinking outrageous thoughts such as: will SA become another Zimbabwe? Or is it NOT outrageous to have thought that?
I find it hard to follow the news from here - I don't feel tapped into the emotional/psychological climate, unlike if I was actually there. What are South Africans thinking? Planning? Hoping? What are the FACTS? Please let me know what your thoughts are about the future of SA under Zuma et al.

:) Thank you!

Hi Lisa

Its a good thing you are in the UK and your hubby is doing great! Im living in SA its fantastic just that security is always on one's mind and with the political divides happening i bet its about zimbabweans stopped counting on Zuma, SADC or the AU for Zim's emancipation.

Luckily every thing went well with the election.  Zuma didn't get a 2/3 majority - which means he can't chop and change all he wants..

I think SA is one of the countries with the most hope for the Future - with every thing we've been through there isn't any thing we can't face.  There are challenges - crime and poverty - but you are right - there is no place like home!

SA will always be more stable than Zim!  Zuma gave his state of the nations yesterday - most people say he was too hopeful, that the economic crises is going to play a bigger roll in hampering job creation, ext.. I think people are too negative and too quick to say that they want to immigrate. Other countries have problems to and not every one is as friendly as your average South African..

Live has gone on and every thing is normal here. Well as normal as it gets in Africa. ( bus drivers are on strike ) ;)

We are going to Libya in the next few months - my husband has received a contract there for the next 3 year. But we will definitely be back after that!

I am planning to move to South Africa and have been following the elections.  I gather kind of neutral response? from most South Africans.  I guess his election is not considered great, but not so bad?  Where can I go to learn more about the political climate of the country?  I am a U.S. citizen and have been living in Denmark now off and on for about 2 years. . . Thanks!

Yes, the elections were not great but they were also not bad..Nothing like the one in US.

You can go to http://jv.news24.com/News24/Elections/Home

Should give you enough info.

Remember SA is not like Zimbabwe - I would say our political climate is stable. You don't have to fear that some rebel group is going to over through the president or any thing like that. 

Crime is a problem though, but they are trying to work on it. 

SA is really a great country and if you have the time and money you must take every chance to see our countries natural beauty.:)