Moving to Northern Cal from Scotland

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for any information people feel might help guide my decision to move to North Cal. My partner and myself have both been offered positions in the North Cal region with salaries of 80K USD each. Now I know we still have to go through the visa process etc etc etc, but was wandering if people had any advice?
Looking specifically if they think the salaries are good enough for a couple that will in the next 5 years be starting a family, but any advice would be really helpful. Have been told a few places that we might end up working Pleasanton, Dublin, Oakland and some other bay areas.
I'm gonna spend some time trawling through the previous posts here but like i said would appreciate any help you guys could offer! Thanks in advance guys.

We were happy expats in the Bay Area for three years and think you guys will love it.

However, as far as salaries go, it can be tricky for someone at this stage of things. At my husband's company they offered people relocation packages only if they made 100,000 a year or more. A relocation package covered 100% of moving expenses plus a cash settlement for incidentals and a signing bonus. For Salaries under $100,000 they offered only a signing bonus which was not enough to cover the whole move.

The people in HR sometimes tried to offer expats something under 100,000 to save themselves not only the higher salary but also the relo package. Fortunately most people negotiated for a while, counter-offered and got more out of them. Anyway, that's the skinny from the inner workings of one multi-national corporation in that area of the world. I don't know if you've already done a lot of back and forth with them on salary but if you haven't, do it. There might be more there than you thought. Good luck!

Thanks for reply. The salaries quoted come with full relocation package, shipping, flights and a relocation advisor to help us ... Adjust. Do you feel the salary is good enough to manage?

I think you guys can live in a decent neighbourhood on that in the East Bay, especially if you are both working. The cost of living (though most Americans will complain to you about it) is really not that high in California compared to the UK. Expect food and most other goods to be very cheap. I even found it a bargain after Vancouver. Find out what rate you'll be taxed at and what other things like health care premiums you need to pay into (if at all?). Did they give you a weight limit for how much you can ship?

Apparantly we're allowed a 20 ft container, not sure if that has a weight limit. I just assumed we'd be taxed at a rate set by our salary?? Or am i being very naive? They do have a 'good' medical plan but haven't got into that yet!!

Oh a container move is way easier than being given a certain weight to adhere to. Good stuff. It's not a bad idea to ask questions about taxes and deductions. Sometimes it really changes your take-home income. A casual conversation about how it all works might be good.

Will do, thanks for advice, will keep you updated. Exciting times!!

Ok guys so things changed a wee bit, it now looks like it might be Sacremento Valley we're moving to. Anyone have any experience here?