putting uk car on bulgarian plates?

Hello. I am new to this forum and haven't moved yet. Currently I live in Greece but I am thinking of buying a property in Bulgaria to spend some months there and also to take advantage of 10% tax that I've heard about. I love Bulgaria and have been there over 20 times. I would buy close to Greek border.  My question is what is required to put a UK car on Bulgarian plates? Do I need to set up a company first, buy a property first? In Greece they want crazy money and its about 4000 euros road tax a year on a 5.5 litre engine.
Also how easy is it to get a Bulgarian passport? Would I need to live for 5 years in Bulgaria?

Also my other question is, how easy is it to get internet in village properties? Ideally I want a house with few or no neighbours in middle of no-where and lots of land.

Hi there,

Basically you do not need to put BG plates on ana UK car - you can drive it with your old plates. But if you want to reregister the cat in BG it will cost you approximately 150 EUR. No need of setting up a company or buying property.

All this is done at regional road police office. I guess first you have to cancel your UK registration and then reregister in Bulgaria. It takes about two hours.

Road tax will definately be less - a К3 vignette costs 50 EUR. Municipal tax will be more, in your case maybe 100 EUR per year, depends on the municipality - the smaller - the better.

Internet: just buy a BG SIM card with Internet plan. That's it. Other options vary, depending on the size and location of the village.

And if you want to buy property in Bulgaria, then you will need to set up a company.

Getting BG passport is another thing, you have to apply for residence and own some propery may be. I think there was a separate topic on this somewhere in the forum.

This outlines becoming a Bulgarian citizen clearly: … Itemid=176

Yes, it is five years of permanent residence or 3 years of permanent residence after you have married a Bulgarian citizenship. I am not 100% sure, but I think I read somewhere that Bulgaria does NOT allow dual citizenship, so you will have to give up your original citizenship. Keep in mind that if you are not an EU citizen, then you will have to live in Bulgaria for 5 years before you can get your permanent residence, so 10 years before you are eligible for citizenship.

Dual citizenship is not a problem in Bulgaria. No need to cancel your current citizenship.

Ohh- good to know that I was wrong about that :)

Questions and answers about transports

Ask your question
Van hire from UK to BG
By Shirley51
Buying a New Car In Bulgaria
By kojidae
By PottyPolly

Expatriate health insurance in Bulgaria

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Bulgaria

Moving to Bulgaria

Find tips from professionals about moving to Bulgaria

Travel insurance in Bulgaria

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Bulgaria

Flights to Bulgaria

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Bulgaria