Dealing with homesickness in Sri Lanka

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Sri Lanka can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Sri Lanka? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I would suggest , hanging out with friends would be a way to avoid being caught for homesickness,
try to learn something that will be good for the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if I would quite call it 'homesickness' or just plain old missing certain people and family. Fortunately it is 2016 and most people, (including my elderly parents) have Skype, as well as Facebook &  WhatsApp. With these programs available, I can talk or text with them regularly and see their faces on my computer. If I had 'homesickness' I would miss my home, which is not part of the equation, or else I would be there instead of here. Besides, I always say that if we want to move to a place that is 'just like home', why move? A major part of the experience is learning a new culture and way of life. I must confess sometimes I wouldn't mind some certain food that I can't find here, however just about when I stop searching, lo & behold, it appears on the shelf at Arpico. Just enjoy the experience of this amazing land.