Dealing with homesickness in Portugal

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Portugal can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Portugal? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi!
For me, homesickness is not such a big problem, but there are certainly things that I miss.

The first of these is food and drink. While the food and drink in Portugal is usually excellent, there are some British staples which I will always miss. This is all the more true at festive times like Easter and Christmas, but also during the year with staples such as marmite and gravy.

Fortunately for me, in and around Lisbon there's a chain called Glood, who have pretty much everything you could possibly desire, in terms of British and American food products. They even have Christmas Puddings and Hot Cross Buns in season!
https://www.facebook.com/glood.pt/?fref=ts

Another thing I miss is beer, but this too has been remedied since the opening of Lisbeer (https://www.facebook.com/lisbeerbar/?fref=ts ). This place stocks literally dozens of excellent beers and, while it prides itself on its range of Portuguese brews, they also stock a lot of international brands, including some British classics.

The final thing - and one that is harder to solve - is missing my friends. But, with Lisbon's airport now having direct flights to 6 UK airports, supported by TAP, BA, Monarch, Ryanair & Easyjet, it's getting easier - and cheaper - for them to visit me and vice versa!

hi Priscilla how are you i am also expat leaving in Portugal since 6 year only thing i find to get read of homesickness to mingle with people of your own country and try to talk to them on your own language its make you feel better and you wont find away form your place and try to have good friend and go of side singing places with friend and have party enjoy you self that what i do and feel better if you like you can reply me back

have nice time

take care

akram