Dealing with homesickness in Nigeria

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Nigeria can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Nigeria? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi sorry I'm late to respond. But as for me NIGERIA is my second home... It's all South African shops I see here so I don't have any issues so far being 2 years here!

Home sick is the one Unavoidable when you've moved to a new place, Homesickness symptoms may vary from person to person, but in general, homesickness can leave you feeling upset, distressed, isolated, or lonely, place like Nigeria has not much entertainment like other cities, Except so many bars and night club which is not a common liking by many professionals & house wives

Homesickness can affect people of all ages in almost any situation,
So don't be ashamed if you're longing for home. There are some steps you can take to help you deal with homesickness and learn to love your new environment

1.    Understand what causes homesickness. ...
2.    Recognize homesickness symptoms. ...
3.    Keep familiar things around
4.    Obtain high speed internet at home
5.    Do some things you loved to do at home? ...
6.    Talk about your feelings with someone close to you
7.    Read the books interested to you, online many site provide free e  books down load
8.    Get plenty of exercise in outdoor & Gym..
9.    Talk with friends and family back home now you have whatsup Skype etc  .

I spent several years in Lagos - and homesickness was something I saw constantly amongst work colleagues, many only lasting a couple of weeks at our offices in Lagos.

There's no doubt that the very alien way of life there can make home seem so far away. But you must make the effort to scratch the surface and see what's underneath.

I did that, and found myself totally immersed in the local culture. Once that barrier is broken down, you will find that Nigerians are not only (generally) charming and generous people - but they're very warm and aware of your homesick feelings.

Learn a little of the language. Yoruba might be best place to start if in Lagos, Igbo in the Delta. Or Pidgin if you're up for it. Greet, thank or apologise to Nigerians in their own language and you'll find they absolutely love hearing an Oyibo making an effort.

Once you've bridged the gap, your homesickness will be very much tempered... and your close family will feel much better knowing you're not alone and upset far away.

Well said .. Nigerians are very warm and friendly . I remember an American friend of mine who works offshore saying " of all the African countries I've been to , Nigerians are the most friendly , hospitable people I've ever known ". Hope this post helps other expats who are new in my country !!