Close

Dealing with homesickness in Morocco

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Morocco can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Morocco? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla  :cheers:
It depends on the city you're based in. If you are living in cities like casablanca, rabat , Marrakesh, tangiers, there definitely is places, clubs etc to hung out in  ,or you can visit old medinas like in Fez , or Marrakesh ... there's so much to do especially in Marrakesh city ...you should give it a try. Marrakesh is a cosmopolitan   and  vibrant  city  .There are  people from so many different nationalities who, live in the city either for work or for  tourism, and who managed to fit in so easily because the city has so many things and places to discover. ..
Hope this helped  :)
Good luck,
Ikram

Hello,

I'm currently living in Tetouan and there is not a big presence of tourists or foreign people here, so it is easy to become homesick. I find that going to the grocery store, Marjane, to help sometimes. It's a place that reminds me of stores back in the US. I also keep in touch with my family on Whatsapp and have started a blog to share my experiences with the public. Making an effort to smile at people and bond in small ways with locals helps you to feel more at home as well.

Best,

Hannah

I think it's important to remember that homesickness is a normal feeling even when you're otherwise happy being an expat.  I've lived in Rabat for almost three years and still get homesick from time to time.  It's particularly difficult because I don't know very many English speaking people. 

What I do to combat homesickness is to stay in close contact with family and friends over whatsapp and the internet.  Also I read US news sites to stay up to date with what's going on in the US and my home city.  I also try to stay busy so I don't dwell on sad thoughts of missing family and friends.

Homesickness is a natural thing. We definitely miss the places we have been at & we got used to. The way I look at it, is to make the best of where you are. Just smile more often and life will smile back at you. We are citizens of the world after all and we can be happy if we live the moment wherever we are!

Questions and answers about Morocco

Ask your question
Mukarrim ali
Want to marry with a Moroccan
By Mukarrim ali
Mnm11
Dutch speaking people
By Mnm11
salma1111
nice pubs/bars in tangier?
By salma1111
Moroccan Angela
Meeting American expatriates :)
By Moroccan Angela
Julien
Mpendi
Looking for a translator
By Mpendi

Expatriate health insurance in Morocco

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Morocco

Moving to Morocco

Find tips from professionals about moving to Morocco

Travel insurance in Morocco

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Morocco

Flights to Morocco

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Morocco