Dealing with homesickness in Malta

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Malta can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Malta? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

It is difficult to move forward while looking backwards, so embrace the moment. It has been my experience over the years that memory plays plays tricks and in fact things never were as they used to be, which becomes a painful lesson for those who try and brake the rule that you should never go back, as you will only find an alien country that has moved on without you.

Hi,

When it comes to home-sickness, this is something that varies from person to person.
To be honest I can happily say that I've never had to deal with any of this , but my friends on the other hand said to have had a much tougher experience moving away from their home countries.

Here in Malta, the Dutch community doesn't do much , at least that I'm aware of..

-Something that helps both my friends and I is having family and friends come over from time to time. This gives you something to look forward to , and I can guarantee you this makes the weeks and even months fly by!

-Something else that helps when not being in your home country is receiving letters or even packages with home goods. Who doesn't like receiving some sweets, that remind you of back home or a letter from you besties!

-Skype, everyone's best friend. Do I need to explain more..?

-Put your mind to it. Simple. Focus on the here and now. Something that might sound a little to simple but it's what works best. Don't focus on holidays or birthdays you're missing back home. Don't focus on what your friends or family did during the weekend. Try to make the best out of your holidays, birthdays, and weekends.

-ENJOY