Dealing with homesickness in Hong Kong

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Hong Kong can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Hong Kong? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

It's been ten months since I've started working as a domestic helper in Hongkong and homesickness usually attacks me every now and then specially when I see pictures of my  friends and families on facebook. Every people abroad needs to surpass homesickness because if not, it will lead to insanity for some and  you might end up losing your job,too. In my case, coming here to Hongkong is a first step in reaching my goals and plans in life. It's not a professional job unlike the once i used to have but my sacrifices will lead to something better someday. To distract my mind from thinking too much about work, family, and  stress i usually go for hiking. I believe being with the nature is a good way to release these things (homesickness, emotion,etc..). Climbing up till you reach the top or the summit changes your mood and it's like it energizes you to start again and it reminds me about the purpose why i have to come here.
The best part is Hongkong makes you feel like home because everywhere you go there is a Filipino.You can talk in tagalog or if you have the same hometown you can talk using your own dialect. And there is worldwide where you can buy mostly Filipino product like cookies, cooked food and etc. People have there own ways on how to relieve their homesickness. If hiking works for you then you can also try it if not then explore other ways.

When I feel homesick - I rely on social media to keep in contact with loved ones, spending time with people from home also helps as well as keeping busy and trying to fully adapt...make new friends,join a sport/club, get busy, get out and explore your new area and make wherever you are feel like "home":-)

:) my answer is very easy. As an expat working in HK you have to fulfil serious tasks for the company which sent you to HK. Consequently you have to work, to work, to work so there is no time to get homesick. If one is very sensitive, such persons shall stay at home and work in their home company.

Questions and answers about Hong Kong

Ask your question
Need help with Cantonese writing check weekly
By team_usa
By Tootsie57
Are you happy in Hong Kong?
By Priscilla
Egyptian dentist wants to move to Hong Kong
By Dr_som3a

Expatriate health insurance in Hong Kong

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Hong Kong

Moving to Hong Kong

Find tips from professionals about moving to Hong Kong

Travel insurance in Hong Kong

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Hong Kong

Flights to Hong Kong

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Hong Kong