Dealing with homesickness in Guatemala

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Guatemala can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Guatemala? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I have been living in Guatemala at Lake Atitlan for a year and a half. I am lucky in that there are many places here to satisfy my cravings for food from "back home". As much as I love the local food, sometimes I just need a bacon cheeseburger! I find that eating food I know and love helps ease homesickness. There is also an import store here called Sandra's that stocks many food items not only from my home country of Canada but from other countries around the world.
Another great thing to combat homesickness is having a great circle of expat friends to talk to in English. It's mostly Americans here but I also have friends from Canada, Australia, Europe, and Asia. We can listen to English music and speak in our native tongue, which eases some of the low-grade stress of struggling to communicate in a foreign language that I haven't quite mastered.
A philosophical tip about homesickness... I spent 40 years in Canada, so of course I miss it, it's what I am familiar with. But now I am spending my time somewhere else and loving the new experiences! And I think that when I leave Guatemala, I will feel a sort of homesickness for it as well. Plus, I am saving money for a trip back home to see the fall colours. I miss the changing leaves and brisk October winds!
One more thing: It's okay to be homesick. It happens to all of us. And it's okay if you want to go home. It's okay if you actually do go home! Your life can take many paths and maybe it will be a zigzaggy path to and from different countries. Who knows? Just raise your head and smile at the new things around you and know that you are living a life of adventure that not everyone has the courage to attempt. Good luck!

Hi,
I'm very curious about your life there as I've considered moving to the Lake before. Would it be possible to email/chat directly. I currently live in San Francisco. Alan
[email protected]

sure I have sent you an email