Dealing with homesickness in Egypt

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Egypt can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Egypt? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

This is exactly as the Russian shock when I used to live in Moscow. This happens when you move to a new place where you still need to know how to around and meet new people and make friends.

It will take a while but I do not advise you to stay home, but try to go around and by time you will find your way around and meet new people.

Good luck on that,.

How do I cope with homesickness......... Not very well. ...thank goodness for Skype, Facebook and messenger.   For me it doesn't matter how many friends I have or keeping myself busy all that is part of life and living in society,  When home sickness strikes your just out there on your own. As I said thank goodness for Internet technology

Hi Priscilla,
             If you are looking for shopping you can go Carefour markets or Cairo festival mall in new Cairo and Maadi or you can go to Arabs mall if you staying in 6th October. you can also go to the Egyptian museum in Tahrir square. have a good time in Egypt
Regards

I don't suffer from home sickness at all, I used to look at Egypt being my home, but recent events and all this visa turmoil with no explanations, it's dual pricing for locals and foreigners, and big brother goings on, I no longer consider it to be very homely at all. Let's hope that attitude to Westerners change. Luxor is almost empty of Europeans now.

I like you was never home sick in Egypt I love it conciser it my home as long as I can find peanut butter american I am fine..., I do not miss any thing.....I love Egypt...so far no visa but no problem......

I hope to be home soon......have to leave for surgery......no insurance in Egypt...

I fee bad for Luxor I love to visit once or twice a year......

Netflix
making homemade s'mores
BCA club
Thank Mr. Magic Jack

Nice

Chocolate Eclair wrote:

I don't suffer from home sickness at all, I used to look at Egypt being my home, but recent events and all this visa turmoil with no explanations, it's dual pricing for locals and foreigners, and big brother goings on, I no longer consider it to be very homely at all. Let's hope that attitude to Westerners change. Luxor is almost empty of Europeans now.

What do you mean by " Big brother goings on "
LoL just wondering.

Am sorry, no cure for that!
Just my humble opinion.
It  means you love your place a lot. You have somebody you care there, parents,family,friends.
Try to love your new place as well, it will mitigates the feelings.
Only mitigates....
It is so many years am working abroad and home sickness increases with time, it's my companion.
Good luck and enjoy your daily life anyway.
Ciao
Mac

Hi dear,

My recommendation to you that if you specially live near Maadi is to visit CSA which is a community association services premises where it offers variety of activities which make all your time useful and busy moreover you meet a lot of different people from all over the world and might also meet people from your nationality as well. lots very famous there and easily you can be a member as its opened only for the sake of helping any expat new comer who is looking for any kind of assistance.

Good luck and best stay
Omar

Same for Hurghada!

Yes it it may be better in Maadi but. I am not near there or Hurgadha