Dealing with homesickness in Czech Republic

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Czech Republic can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Czech Republic? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Keeping in touch with your own culture is important. Every weekend I watch live rugby from New Zealand. Hearing the Kiwi accent makes me feel like I'm there,

Before I started doing this I was homesick, now homesickness is no longer a problem. I also read stories from home via the internet too.

Not many things from NZ are offered here, with the exception of wine and lamb meat, so if I want something from NZ I either have to import it, or get someone to send it. Things like pies and sausage rolls my wife and I make.

Learn the language ......

The key is to keep yourself busy somehow.

Go out and do some exploring, get to know the place and the people.

It may sound counter intuitive, but a good way to overcome homesickness can be to reduce contact with your homeland and culture until you adjust more fully to the one you're living in.

You can often aggravate and magnify feelings of homesickness if you try to contact home while you are homesick.

For me the homesickness started AFTER  I got to know the place, the people when I saw how different it was to my home country, so that is why I felt the need to reconnect with my own culture. Nowadays I are more comfortable with straddling both cultures, but I will always be a New Zealander.