Close

Dealing with homesickness in Australia

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Australia can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Australia? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

No homesickness at all :-)

Meeting friends among diverse communities as you may know Australia is a diverse multi-cultural community.

There is always a lot happening on weekends.

However, should that not help one can seek professional assistance/advice/counsel that is readily available in most suburbs.

Or religious communities.

Hello, everyone. My wife and I got married and moved to Melbourne in 2013 after securing our Australian permanent residency in search of some excitement and a better life, and we did. We both had full-time jobs and we were having a ball exploring Melbourne and its surrounds every weekend. The first two years were great.

The pair of us has had our fair share of visiting home in Malaysia over the course of our migration, but every time my wife comes back to Melbourne, she leaves a piece of her heart in Malaysia. Her last holiday back to Malaysia in March 2016 proved to be her breaking point. After returning to Melbourne after a 1-month holiday, she fell into depression as her homesickness has proven too great.

We are now divorced as she chose to move back to Malaysia and I remain in Melbourne. She is happily living her old life in Malaysia and most importantly she is no longer depressed. I sincerely hope other (young) expat couples out there hang on to each other as I do believe that when you get married, your loyalty, first and foremost, is to your spouse and the family you create together, then your family, etc.

Good luck.

Missing lots of friends, food and siblings. 

But found new friends and share lots of new culture that I never learn before. Go out and network to find new friends. Always remain humble so that people will like you.

Questions and answers about Australia

Ask your question
Priscilla
One Tongue Language Center
Rental Car Companies
By One Tongue Language Center
SinanDira
Planning a profesional career path for immigration
By SinanDira
fonzy
alex314835
Which is the suitable City ?
By alex314835

Expatriate health insurance in Australia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Australia

Moving to Australia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Australia

Travel insurance in Australia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Australia

Flights to Australia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Australia