Dealing with homesickness in Argentina

Hello everyone,

Being an expat in Argentina can turn out to be a wonderful human, social or professional adventure... with potential moments of nostalgia and homesickness along the way.

What are your personal tips to prevent homesickness?

How do you deal with such feelings?

Are there shops or stores offering products from your home country in Argentina? Or maybe venues with music and ambiance from your homeland?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I have been in Argentina for six years, so the initial homesickness I felt, is long since gone.
I still remember grappling with it however, and it can cloud your days.
I think I was guilty of comparisons rather than experiencing.
Changes and adaptions can be pretty challenging. Yet, it is also important to keep in mind that these are temporary. What is a change today, become normal tomorrow.
People would ask if it was different in Argentina than the United States.
I usually suppressed answering and just smiled and answered "Some things different."
I really wanted to say "Different? Let's see. Other than the food, music, language, buildings, yards, cars, streets, TV, sports, stores, schools, government, gatherings, and the stars at night, they're close."
One thing I could hold close, was when I said what WAS the same were the hearts of the people.
People caring about family, friends, colleagues, and even in greetings on the street.
When I stopped comparing,  I started living and listening.
I soon remembered I had good and bad days in the old country as well, and found myself expecting better than that in the new country.
Homesickness is normal, Try to find portion of life somewhere that seems familiar.
My first experiences was gaining friendships in the kioskos and at work.
They took care of me. There became interest in each of us sharing.
Just be a friend, and warm and decent, and it seems to return quickly in happiness.

Great answer!