Happy New Year

Hi,  My name is Jane, and I will be coming to Ecuador in February as a Peace Corps volunteer.  I won't know exactly where I'll be stationed until the end of training in April.  I expect to be living in a rural area, since I will be working on agricultural projects.  The Peace Corps has lots of recommendations on what to bring, but there is no information about how to communicate by cell phone or access the internet. I would like to be able to skype with my daughter on a regular basis.  Can anyone advise me on what to do or buy before I leave the United
States?

I think it really depends on where you're located. Most all cities and even little towns have internet cafes. I live in Quito so I have wireless internet and Skype everyday. Just bring your computer and webcam! I also brought a wireless router with me from the US because all electronics here are double (or sometimes triple!) the price in Ecuador. Many outlets are two pronged so you can bring adapters (two prong to three prong) and I also brought an electrical strip.
Good luck with the Peace Corps! Would love to know where your placement is!

Hi Jane, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope that other members will be able to advice you.

I wish you good luck and a Happy New Year!
Christine

If you will be stationed in the mountains - flanel PJ, electrical or goose down blanket.
Electrical blanket is not good for your health, but I guess
it is better then to be cold at night.
I had one(el blanket) my first year in Quito. Now we have goose down.
Also - earplugs.

if you don't have internet where you're staying, skype has a "remote" type system that you can put on a thumb drive.. you can plug this thumb drive into the computer at the library, or internet coffee shop etc

You'll probably have to buy some credits if you're calling her land line... Other wise it's free to call if she's got skype installed.

Oh yeah, you'll need a headset as well...

Best bet is to try all of this out (headset & thumb drive) before you leave home.