I need to rent a small studio or flat

hi everyone... i'm moving in brussels but first i need to rent a small studio or flat. Can any one help me, rent agencies need documents that i don't have like for example the last three payments from my employer...i'm not yet employed in brussel... Can any one help me finding me a small kind apartment to rent for 6 months or 1 year...

Hi valbona,

Your topic has been introduced as a new thread on the Brussels forum as it was off topic on the other discussion.

I hope other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Maybe there are better possibilities in the european district near the european parlement ?? ( also more expensive )
i don't know, i'm not in that business and it's true that people are really carefull to get their pay...
can you prove on paper from a bank where you're now a good amount ?? and propose to pay directly in advance for 6 months ??
i guess thats more a "deal" with agencies that you have to do...
wish you to succeed ;-)

Hello,

im in the same situation. Im moving 20th of january and I would like to rent a small apartment not so expensive or to share a flat with one person. If somebody can help.

Thanks so much

Paula

Here is my experience with finding and renting an apartment in the suburbs around Brussels. I will 1st say - I think we lucked out. I made appointments to see apartments with couple of private and 1 with agency from distance. I e-mailed and called. If they did not respond to my e-mail, I never bothered to call. The agency person was not helpful at all, and the apartment he showed us did not even have light fixtures. Imagine renting an apartment with wires sticking out of the ceiling and the walls, none, and I am not kidding, no light fixtures. The apartment has some remodeling done.

One of the private landlords struck us as much unconsidered and we did not follow up. Another one wanted 3 years of lease + 2 mo deposit, which we would not consider, so that was a no no. One of the prospect landlords, was very nice, friendly, talkative, had concerns about our relocation, took time to even have a cup of coffee and to show us around with his car, and that was the apartment we rented. He agreed to 1 yr lease and only 1 month deposit. The apartment was in excellent location, not so much of the perfect condition we were hopping for, but you have to be ready to compromise. We had a job offer with a signed contract, but he did not even care to ask to see it. No other documents than to sign the contract with him, we gave him the deposit and he gave us a receipt. About a 1.5 months later we moved in. I would say so far he has been very good landlord. I wish he spared some $ before we moved in and at least changed the wall papers in couple of the rooms where they are very bad.

So, forget about agencies, go with private party. It would be a win-win situation I believe.

Eh, well, just so you know for the future, if you stick around and are ever looking for a new place - it's very uncommon to find somewhere that does have fixtures. That is something that it's kind of expected you do yourself. You just plug the 2 wires in the right spot and attach it, it's very simple. I actually think it's very preferable that you use your own and use things that you like, where you choose the style & price that suits you, rather than paying more money for ones someone else has chosen that are often-times quite ugly/expensive. I'm sure my mother wishes that were the case when she bought her house, the people had all these "artsy" lamps that were almost certainly quite pricey, but that give off so little light it's absurd. I'm sure she'd have rather paid several hundred less and picked out her own! heh.

Also, it's just standard over here for leases to be 3 yrs. I don't know why it is, but it is. It's not like the landlords are singling you out trying to steal your money or anything, for some reason that just happens to be the norm here. As long as you get a good feeling about the person renting it, that they won't be stealing from you & will assist when needed, I don't think the rest really matters much.

Melby, I'd have to say that it was quite a bit shocking for me to see an apartment being rented without light fixtures. It could be the norm here, but it sure has not been other places/countries where I've lived. That is why I think we lucked out, I hope I say the same thing in few months, a year maybe.

It was different for me, of course, I initially encountered it in the Netherlands, so it wasn't really a shock to find it the same here. But I still stand by my point, I think it's far better. You choose what you want and don't pay for what someone else thinks should be there. And they truly are not difficult to put in. It's not like you need to do wiring or anything, you just plug the wires right into the spots on the fixture, just like when you have the better speaker systems and you have to plug in the red & black wires, same deal here. No expertise required! ;)

I agree, it is not hard, but when you move cross the ocean, having to put up lights is not exactly something you want to do at all. The 1st thing is getting a bed, sofa, TV, microwave and all other such, and lights... oh well... that was never on my mind that I had to do at all.

*shrugs* We didn't have a problem with it. Did the place not even have bare bulbs hanging? If so, it's not like fixtures are something that needs to be rushed out for. We still have the bare bulbs hanging in the bedroom and spare room, because we use a desk lamp in the bedroom for softer light anyhow, and the other room is just like a closet for us, so why bother paying to pretty up the ceilings? I like that I have that option. I don't like being forced to pay for stuff I don't want. Different strokes, I suppose.

Melby I am a bit confused, why do say "forced to pay"? We did not have to pay extra for having light fixtures!

No no, not "extra," but it's something that's in the cost. Just like when someone remodels an apartment, then they charge more rent to make their money back, etc. In some fashion, you're paying for it, you're just not directly buying it. What I'm saying is I'd rather not pay that, but buy my own, that I picked out & enjoy, for whatever price I choose. I personally find that a better deal. That's my own view of it.

Hi,

Im also looking for a studio or 1 bed flat or 1 room in a share with 1 or 2 other people in Brussels. So far its been a nightmare with few leads! I've replied to numerous adverts from various websites but no luck...worse that that at least 12 of the adds have been scams. Its disheartening to say hte least. I have an job already secured but the hunt for accommodation is very discouraging!
any pointers let me know!

[Moderated: Please post an ad in Housing section]

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum. Post your advert in the Flats for rent in Brussels section.]