Moving to Vietnam

Hi,

I will be arriving from Canada. Are there any good websites to check out apartments for rent there ? What banks do you use to exchange currency ? Can a tourist open a bank account there ? If I wanted to stay longer then a year on a tourist visa is that possible ? Do I just get a 3 month visa and continually renew it or do I have to do visa runs to a neighboring country ? What is the requirements of the business visa, is it hard to procure ? What about setting up electricity in my name for an apartment that I rent seeing as how I am not a Vietnam national.

Thank you

- Are there any good websites to check out apartments for rent there ?
To be safe, you can book for a week or two via  Airbnb,or Agoda, come, stay and decide whether or not to sign a long-term contract. You need to stay with someone reliable first to get used to the new environment.
- What banks do you use to exchange currency ?
You can exchange currency at most banks ( the most popular Vietcombank, Sacombank, Asian Commercial Bank).You can get a bit higher rates at some jewelry shops.
- Can a tourist open a bank account there ?
I am not sure about this.
- If I wanted to stay longer then a year on a tourist visa is that possible ? Do I just get a 3 month visa and continually renew it or do I have to do visa runs to a neighboring country ?
You don't need to run to a neighbouring country to have your visa renewed. There are some agencies to do it for you.
-What about setting up electricity in my name for an apartment that I rent seeing as how I am not a Vietnam national.
Every month, the bill will be sent to the apartment you rent, and you just pay it via the apartment owner. Or the owner will tell you how much you will have to pay per unit.
Hoping the above information will help you to confidently make good decisions.
By the way, I also have an apartment for rent near Aeon Tanphu (Nice, Cheap Apt +Balcony,HCM). If you are interested, please contact me.