Visiting Beijing :)

Hi all,

I'm overseas chinese but i do not read chinese. I do speak Mandarin, but broken ones:)

i'm visiting Beijing & tangshan from 12 - 16 Jan 2011.

Would like to get around but really inconvenient coz i cant read & might have difficulties understanding putonghua accent... hmm...

any suggestion in terms of (yes i did a lot of Google-ing but still wanna get as much info as possible):

1) hotel to stay in beijing (3star) & convenient location
2) places to go on saturday
3) transportation advice

I guessed VISA credit card is widely accepted after the beijing olympic ... :P

Thanks

Hi furryfluffy, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other other members will be able to help you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Thanks a lot 4 the welcome message... :)

NO that is a bad guess! I guessed VISA credit card is widely accepted after the beijing olympic ..

Plastic is still not commonly accepted in China. Will be okay for major hotels, large stores, western oriented restaurants and in most ATM's.

Try Huadu hotel, or depending on budget limitations Home Inn

Hi Manlin,

Good day to you. glad to receive ur reply.

I think u r right, plastic might not be that widely accepted. I'll bring RMB & some USD just in case.

i will google Huadu & Home Inn. During this season I guess it's not a peak season for tourist due to freezing winter right? :lol:

Oh ya, wonder if there is a bus/train from tangshan to beijing in such a short notice. I was told the ticket must be bought 10 days in advance?

TQVM - have a great day ahead

Showing my age here and/or showing that I have been too long in China. Had to google TQVM  here we normally use 3Q (san Q).

I don't think there will be a problem with the train ticket. Do you want/need the contact info of a tour company? I'm sure they could book it for you but they will want some sort of handling fee.

will also be traveling solo this coming february. i'm hoping to meet fellow filipinos on my visit to beijing

welcome to beijing

Thanks tink,

this is my 3rd day here.... everything is OK :)

just a bit inconvenient credit card is not widely accepted.