Close

New in Portugal - How to learn the Language / Make Friends / Job

hey guys, how r u doing, wish u r doing well...

im bedo, i just arrived Portugal, coming from china, i was studying in china a master degree in management and engineering, i already graduated and came to Portugal to find a work and as well start a new life with a new experience, i have 3 questions:

1- i cant speak Portuguese, where to find someone to exchange language (English- Portuguese) i mean a language partner
2- any clue how to find a part time job or if any of you can help about it( i have bachelor in civil engineering and master in management) so i can do any work related to business, management, sales, marketing, engineering, etc
3- i want to make new friends, which im very social and since im here in Portugal im feeling lonely and dont have friends(especially i dont speak Portuguese) so any clue how to meetup some English speaking people ?

sorry for my long message
thanks
regards :))

Hello and welcome to Expat.com Abdallaalzoghby :cheers:

To find job, I invite you to create your cv in the Jobs offers in Portugal section of the site.

To find a language partner, create an advert in the Language Exchange field of the Portugal Classifieds section.

Subscribing to the Networking in Portugal section of the site will help you be notified whenever new members are looking for meet people around.

Where are you currently living in Portugal please?

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

We are recruiting people that can speak: Danish, Swedish, Dutch+French and English.
Please contact me if you are interested in working in the Lisbon district area.
I will provide further information such as job description and location.

Thanks

Moderated by kenjee 2 weeks ago
Reason : Drop advert and contact infos in the JOBS section above please.

Hi Bedo,

Finding ways to improve your language here is tough. I've had a lot of trouble, because a lot of people speak English, so finding opportunities to practise is quite difficult. Also, much of the online material is in Brazilian, which is really a different language altogether. I used conversationexchange.com to get a language partner, though some of the people there were a little crazy.

As for the job, I'm really not sure, without a working level of Portuguese, though there are some call centres in the Lisbon area (are you in Lisbon?) who offer short hours contracts. They're called teleperformance and sitel and both often have work in English or other languages.

If you're in Lisbon and are looking for someone to go for a beer or a coffee with, I'd be happy to meet up and show you some cool places. I wrote in my blog at the end of my first year ( www.umlisboetaingles.wordpress.com ) about how hard it is to make friends at first but, if you persevere, you can really make friends for life here!

Good luck,
Kev

Questions and answers about Portugal

Ask your question
gutierrezjen
looking for a job as a call center agent
By gutierrezjen
Julien
Priscilla
LAKHIANI
Abatonime
Handyman recommendation for refurbishing a house
By Abatonime
josephus2016
Viana Do Castelo
By josephus2016

Expatriate health insurance in Portugal

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Portugal

Moving to Portugal

Find tips from professionals about moving to Portugal

Travel insurance in Portugal

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Portugal

Flights to Portugal

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Portugal