Why do you love Indonesia ?

For hundreds of years Indonesia has struggled against colonial rule, it's people have suffered immensely in the past. Then, on August 17, 1945, Indonesia declared its independence from the Netherlands.

Today, Indonesia is the fourth most populous country in the world. It is also the most populous Muslim-majority country in the world. Yet throughout most of the country there is religious tolerance that allows Christians, Hindus and Buddhists and other religions to live side by side with Islam.

Indonesia is developing fast. The potential is huge, and while currently it may seem to lag behind such neighbours as Singapore and Malaysia, I believe with much certainty that Indonesia will surpass the success of many of it's neighbours. I truly believe in Indonesia.

Nobody can deny that the people are friendly and warm, the food is amazing, the scenery is stunning, and the skills of it's people in hand crafting one of the best. One only has to turn to Bali or Jogjakarta to see this.

But Indonesia is also inexpensive compared to it's neighbours. The cost of living is relatively low, private schooling is far less expensive than it's neighbours, food products are cheaper, and eating out in restaurants costs about a third that is costs in neighbouring Malaysia. Transportation is also not expensive and medical treatment is no more expensive and often much cheaper than it's neighbours.

If you consider the cost of retiring to Indonesia against the cost of retiring in either Singapore or Malaysia, and the ease of doing it, then Indonesia wins hands down by a mile. Today's immigration service is nothing like in the past. Today they are friendly, helpful and honest. Similarly, when dealing with other Government departments which these days often require online applications, funny business is pretty much a thing of the past.

Why do I love Indonesia? For all the above reasons, and because I married an Indonesian girl many years ago and was accepted into their family and am as close to them as my own family back home. But the fact that having lived in so many countries around the world, I decided to move to Indonesia where I see a long future for my family is reason enough to say that Indonesia is a truly wonderful place to live, perhaps even the best.

I just like the people, the cost of living meaning nothing when compared to the warm and friendly smiles.

totally agreed EXCEPT that immigration part... By the way I love "Indonesia" as Fred mentioned mainly becoz of its wonderful "Indonesians"....

Pretty much the same as Aly123. Everyone has had their own dealings with government officialdom here one way or another and not always good not always bad.
However the rest is still as fantastic as I found it when I came here back in 2007. Despite the many pot holes in the road I travel along on in Indonesia I still regard this as my home.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=329576

It's commonly a good idea to search for thread with similar titles before starting new ones.
I've notice a couple of posts lately where new threads have been started that are covered by running threads, as well as some older threads such as the link above on this topic.

Fred wrote:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=329576

It's commonly a good idea to search for thread with similar titles before starting new ones.
I've notice a couple of posts lately where new threads have been started that are covered by running threads, as well as some older threads such as the link above on this topic.

On that thread? Erm....I'd rather not thank you very much  ;)

But hey, don't let me stop you from posting on it.