How safe is it NOW in the Philippines?

I live in a city in Mindanao, and I believe that common crime and the threat of assault has decreased.  However I do believe that the threat of kid-nap and bombings from terrorist groups has increased.

lukas83 wrote:

I have been in Cebu, Manila, Naga, Dipolog and Sindangan in zamboanga del norte.
I'm now staying at my girlfriends family's and it's in an area that people says in dangours.
My best view is not listening to many people unless the have been to the area or experience exactly where you are going.

To much fear base feedback when asked the same question a few months ago.
I found it was received from people that had never been to these places only ever watch the news and based their opinion on that alone, or even stories. 

In Australia a few years ago there was around 500 murders compaired to only around 250 in Philippines.

So only use positive feedback from people that have been or lived in the area personally.

What has happened in and around the area is truth not hype or fiction.  Truth is it is also a very small percentage of people in the area whether local of foreign, though to ignore a warning to be cautious is simply foolish.  The ultimate decision is yours to make and some in the area did move to higher ground while others feel safe and have stayed.  As an adult the decision is up to you and no one else.

Please remember it is you who asked the question on this forum and warnings from numerous countries governments with regard to travel in the area was supplied as well as some personal views about the safety of the area. All were meant to answer the question you yourself posed.

I have heard it said that if you don't like the answers then don't ask the question. Meaning you as an adult can surely anticipate the answers to your own questions without disrespecting the views of others.

Enjoy your stay,

TeeJay

TeeJay

I simply gave the man some personal feedback. Moreover, some true person experience on the areas I have been.

If my status triggered a reactive response in you I I must say I apologise.
I welcome feedback at all levels my friend. However, I take what's needed and put in the bin the drama.
Have a good day TeeJay
Once again my apologies if my stusus triggered you.

lukas83 wrote:

TeeJay

I simply gave the man some personal feedback. Moreover, some true person experience on the areas I have been.

If my status triggered a reactive response in you I I must say I apologise.
I welcome feedback at all levels my friend. However, I take what's needed and put in the bin the drama.
Have a good day TeeJay
Once again my apologies if my stusus triggered you.

Lukas83,

Lol, Apologies are not needed if you are sincere.  In your original post you inquired about the safety in the region you are visiting.  If you expected or wished for only responses from people who lived in the area it is up to you to ask.  The members who responded did so out of a courtesy for you. Your own country as well as New Zealand and the U.S. had issued warnings about traveling in the area, at least one of those was brought to your attention in response to your question. Should they be ignored? 
You stated in your recent reply:
"My best view is not listening to many people unless they have been to the area or experience exactly where you are going. " 
If that is your view, then simply be more specific with your questions?  True?

You also stated in your reply:
"To much fear base feedback when asked the same question a few months ago.
I found it was received from people that had never been to these places only ever watch the news and based their opinion on that alone, or even stories. "
Sounds like you are demeaning the respondents to your question by questioning their ability to think for themselves without being manipulated by the media. More than one of the responses was based on first hand knowledge from Filipinos or Filipinas.  Once again the courteous responses to your unqualified question may have contained some opinion, though also first hand knowledge and or opinions based in fact not fantasy. 

You also stated in your reply:
"So only use positive feedback from people that have been or lived in the area personally."
Positive feedback? What does that mean exactly, feedback that only enforces or supports your decision to go to Cagayan?  Once again it is up to you to qualify your question and if you do I believe that a good many members won't bother replying if they know in advance specifically what replies your are looking for. The drama has come only from you, not the courteous replies of members who took the time to answer your original question my friend.

You also stated:
"In Australia a few years ago there was around 500 murders compaired to only around 250 in Philippines."
From what source did you arrive at that figure for the Philippines. Their own government issued stats are higher than that for just 15 major cities from 2010 to 2015 and this does not include indexed crime statistics that include violent crimes like murder, rape, robbery and kidnapping.   

I apologize in advance if this triggers in you a reactive response.  In other words one that does not praise mine?   

Have a good day Lukas,

TeeJay   :D

Sir If I were you I would take notice of any warning regardless who gives it , just because the person giving the warning has not been to an area about the warning given does not mean that danger does not exist , I get Warnings and updates from my home Government about anywhere here in the Philippines and also the group I belong to get regular police intel updates, you just cannot ignore any warning and think it will never happen to me. If you want to survive here you must heed any warnings from people that know

Deca 2015 wrote:

Sir If I were you I would take notice of any warning regardless who gives it

For sheep, yes - For those with a working brain - NO. (The irony could be deliberate)

Warning are issued for various reasons, some not being quite as honest as they should be.
Watch out for possible political motives behind warnings, even government issued ones, and watch out for schemes of one sort or another.
You might also want to note the tendency to 'overwarn' that has become so normal these days.
I'm assured Zika is an issue in Indonesia, but there was only one case, a man, and that was years ago with no other known cases since. I'll bet the Philippines suffer those same pathetic warnings
Yep, a quick google confirms nice travel warningsabout Zika in the Philippines, but only 17 cases out of a population of 100 million people up to Oct 14 this year.

http://cnnphilippines.com/news/2016/11/ … -Cebu.html

Police: No direct threat
The Police Regional Office 7 (PRO-7) in Cebu City and the Armed Forces of the Philippines' (AFP) Central Command on Thursday called for calm, hours after the U.S. issued its security warning.

They said there is "no direct threat" to Southern Cebu and the entire Central Visayas.

It is "safe and secured to live, work and do business" in the region, PRO-7 Director Chief Supt. Noli Taliño assured local residents and foreigners.

"All areas in the region frequented by foreigners are augmented with additional PNP (Philippine National Police) personnel to implement the tightened security coverage," the police said in a statement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/f … 864684.stm

It is 3am and my mobile phone beeps. 

In my groggy state I take a look and I am not surprised to read a text message warning of impending doom and disaster in the Philippines.

It is not unusual to get a text this early or in droves at any time of the day or night.

They warn of coup attempts or bombing campaigns. Usually, they are completely false.

Fred,

I'm not sure that taking notice of any warning can be equated to heeding any warning. I do take notice of any warning, but at this point of my stay in the Philippines I have begun to see a few media outlets on line that seem to parrot everything and anything they hear and post it as gospel without any research having been done by the faux news agency to confirm the validity of the content of their own story. Those I do discount, while some others such a GMA may be worth a read and a little research to determine if the story is not only true but if it has been blown out of proportion to gain readership.

What helps to some degree in determining the validity of a warning is the frequency of the news with the same content such as kidnappings or the presence of any extremist group and violence attributed to the group. If most of the more reputable news sources have reported the same story in conjunction with agency warnings from various governments around the area and the world then it tends to give some teeth to the warning and it should be heeded, not fearfully but intelligently, meaning a little more caution with regard to personal safety might be prudent in the area reported.

With media outlets on the net and the airways popping up like mushrooms and spewing out their version of the days news 24/7 365, they scramble daily to find justification for their existence by beating a popular subject like the Zika virus to death, adding their opinions via interviews with many guests who are simply parroting their hype to justify the air time and leaving it up to the reader to filter out the bs and find a little truth.

If in the case of this forum, if you want specific answers, then pose specific questions. If you are simply looking for bobble head dolls to agree with your view, ask your drinking buddy after a few beers and you can nod your heads at each other in agreement while solving the worlds problems and not waste the time of those on the forum who in some cases have taken the time to not only respond but share with you information that has been well researched on their own time.

TeeJay

Politicians are commonly about cash.
News outlets are commonly about advertisers cash.
Both have been known to lie to get cash.

Warnings are fine, but you have to filter out the crap.

Teejay.

Bless you mate.
Let people reply to the person posing the questions, no need to be a police officer.
Lol, no doubt about ya, ever time you seem to intercept others comments.

Now you can respond to this one, give you something excitement for the day cobber.

Have fun respond because I'll leave you with this.
Research is the key. Not drama 🙏🏿

My partner was born and raised in Cotobato so I know what I'm talking about regarding that place she has recently got her mother out of there because of the violence going on there , that place is a no go area for expats

Deca

Very understandable mate. If you have personally experienced that. I'd take your advice 100%

Hi thank you glad to help

Hi all !! We are heading to Missamiss Occidental Mindanao by self drive hire car late Dec !! Any things that we need to be aware of re safety security??

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/philippines

I've been to Dipolog and Sindangan its about 500km from there . Not sure about the area but here's some up-to date info that may help you out.

I found it to be safe and I'm sure looking at this it will be fine. However, the local's did advice not to travel in my own hire car because of different dangerous hazards.

Best bet talk with the locals if you can.

I think it's fair to say that the further south and west you go the more likely it is that the risk of kidnapping and terrorism increases. Here in Iloilo it is a very safe and peaceful city and people here are very friendly and kind. Like in all places if you act with common sense and go about your daily business life here in the Philippines will be kind to you

I wouldn't really scrutinize the areas that you mentioned possibly living in. Palawan is becoming more and more dangerous due to insurgents. Negros has its share of problems with the NPA and politics. I can understand your desire to not live in Manila but maybe you should look at an area near Manila. In my opinion, living here is not like it was 7 years ago. Some things are better, but some are worse. The current government, as I am sure you have heard, is dealing with many problems. Currently, the inflation due to the new tax laws has increased the cost of living. Crime is still a big problem as well as corruption and extortion.

Figured I would throw in my opinion with the experience that the leftist CPP-NPA do not pose a large threat to expats. Rarely has an expat been killed or held hostage by the NPA; including down south (Mindanao) where their guerilla forces are most active.
An exception is when an expat commits a grave injustice against a Filipino and the NPA are asked to exact justice in one form or another - again; very rare occurrences.

However, if an expat is involved in a small business or works for a large multi-national company, it is not uncommon for the NPA to demand a "tax" payment if operating within their territory. If demands are not met they may (or may not) destroy business property. But, they typically will not harm people for refusing to pay their revolutionary taxes.

It is also very rare you will ever even see an armed guerilla fighter unless you are way out in the boondocks. Or, during a rural night time drive happen to come across a rare NPA checkpoint and end up "donating" some money or property.

Others may have a different opinion or experience in country. As Justjon suggested, crime and corruption certainly is a big problem. Always has and always will be like most developing countries. Common sense and due diligence dictates when choosing where to live or visit.

The Islamic insurgents/separatists and criminal gangs (KFR, etc) - whew....a whole different ball game.

I asked the question,regarding criminal situation on Palawan Island.Many members gave me very full information. Please find the topic "Palawan"  on this WEB-site,if you are interested in particular location,but not the country in common. My girlfriend said,that Mindanao is not save place. (This is her Motherland). The other hand,few members of the WEB-site,said,that there is no criminal. Honestly,I am confused who says objective information. Anyway, good luck ! :-)

The southern part of Palawan is to be avoided mostly because of malaria. The other part of Palawan is probably safer than some high school/university campus in the U.S  ...

From what I understand the law has changed if one parent is a Filipino the child is a Filipino citizen ,check with a lawyer the laws changed a few years ago I have a neighbor 84 years old his parents were both Filipino but he was born in Hawaii while his mother was working there he was not considered a Filipino citizen until the law was changed he had a 13 A visa we would both go to BOI for annual report together, now he is a Filipino citizen

Ever been in the Mexican section of town in the USA lot of bars on the windows the culture I think

Yes your right living in the province in the south a lot of NPA but usually no trouble, just dont take their picture without permission I have seen as many as 50 on patrol they do extort money from business they were repaving a highway near me the NPA wanted some money from the contractor but he got protection from the military to guard his equipment, very funny the solders guarding the equipment could speak no Bisaya only Tagalog, they do kill military and police about 3 in the last year they very seldom go into a city if they do it is to kill someone ,we had one killed in town a former member who had turned, we had another time a grenade was thrown in the truck of a local captian