About Tamil- Sinhalese marriage.

People from chennai. Please give your honest ideas. What do you think about the marriage between a sinhalese girl from sri lanka and tamil boy in chennai. Will the situation be serious and difficult for the boy?

Nope it wont be. Tamilians are always good and they wont harm to other state and country fellows. But you should make the marriage legally and decide the marriage place whether it is in Srilanka or India, Chennai ? because it only decides the citizenship.

I am in Bangalore and married to a Srilankan lady. There is no problem ... if you need to know more you can get in touch with me...

Not at all, go ahead and get married!

irisure wrote:

People from chennai. Please give your honest ideas. What do you think about the marriage between a sinhalese girl from sri lanka and tamil boy in chennai. Will the situation be serious and difficult for the boy?

Hi irisure,

I am from Madras. My wife is from Sri Lanka. We have lived in Madras for about 5 years, before relocating. This was about 10 years back. Those days, the process was neither simple, nor as easy as those who have (ignorantly) commented before me.

FIrstly, where are you planning to be ? In India, or in Sri Lanka ? If it is the latter, I do not know the procedures. But, if you intend staying in India, I will share with you my personal experiences.

You must apply for an extended visa to remain in India. For this you must go to 'Shastri Bhavan' and do the required paperwork and register. Till the time we were there, not once was my wife's extended visa got issued, since it had to come from New Delhi.

Every year we had to make those mandatory visits to Shastri Bhavan and apply for an extension. So in the passport there would be no visa stamp, or visa extension seal. All we would carry as proof is a sheet of paper, stamped with the visa extension receipt.

What we found most problematic and cumbersome is prior to every visa renewal request submission, we had to produce a 'No Objection Certificate' (NOC) from the local police station. So that means first we had to register my wife's full details. Once that is done, the police would come home for a physical verification. As most Indian policemen do, they would expect to be 'tipped' handsomely - for just doing their job - and for absolutely no other reason of course ! I found this exercise very stressful and irritating, to put it mildly.

And every year, prior to the renewal request we had to go to the police station to get the NOC. Always we had to bribe the policemen to get the NOC, in time. Unless we pay the cops they would not give us the required NOC. The whole system was upsetting. But there was no other option.

This is exactly why when I see some careless and casual responses, I am pissed.

Other than the mandatory governmental processes and procedures, there were no further issues.

Vino1 wrote:

But you should make the marriage legally and decide the marriage place whether it is in Srilanka or India, Chennai ? because it only decides the citizenship.

Hi Vino1,

What citizenship ? Whose citizenship ?

Thank you very much sir. That was really helpful.

if you dont mind i would like to get to know about few more facts.
Is your wife from the same religion and race of you, if not did that difference bring you truoble among your people family and relatives? Was it hard for you?

Are you a hindu? Even though young people dont think too much about these things, is a hindu getting married to a catholic will be a big issue in chennai? And what is ur honest personal view on that?

Thank you sir

Hi irisure,

Will reply to your PM, with whatever details can be shared shortly.