Close

I'm from US, my husband has UK passport. Do I need a sponsor for NIF?

Hi amigos,

As an American who just landed in Portugal with my dual-citizen husband, what do I need to do to obtain residency? We have a small graphic design company (LLC) in the US, and all of our clients are in the States- we will not be opening a business here, and our income can be proven and comes from abroad.

We sign a lease on an apartment this week, and I believe my husband can get his NIF easily as an EU citizen. What should I do, meanwhile? Do I need a fiscal sponsor?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Hello,
You can find the telephone number for the SEF and ask them:
http://www.sef.pt/portal/v10/PT/aspx/page.aspx
I think ur allowed to stay for 90 days, but still u need to call to confirm :)

Thank you Ahmed!

Hi! My wife and I have this same situation, so I was wondering if you managed to find a simple solution to this?

If you need to open bank account everything here you need to open a nif in finaças, it is very easy only need to provide your passport and address.

Thank you! Glad to hear it's easy.

Hi everyone, I thought I'd share my experience of this in case it's of use to anyone reading this thread in future.

I'm from the UK, so I had no trouble getting my NIF. Like catherineju said, I only needed to show my passport and proof of address (at the time, I didn't have an address in Portugal so I gave them my UK one). After waiting for around an hour at the Finanças office, the whole process took maybe 5-10 minutes. Easy!

For my wife, who's a US citizen, the situation was more complex. We had to have a Portuguese resident come with us to apply for the number on her behalf. The person doesn't have to be Portuguese - just resident / registered here as a taxpayer. Just to be sure, we tried 2 different Finanças offices, and were told the same thing.

So, according to our experience, US citizens will need:

- Their passport
- Proof of address in their home country (bank statement or utility bill)
- Friend who is a Portuguese resident to apply on their behalf (that person will need to show their residency card as proof)

Hope this info is of use!

Expatriate health insurance in Portugal

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Portugal

Moving to Portugal

Find tips from professionals about moving to Portugal

Travel insurance in Portugal

Enjoy stress-free travel to Portugal

Flights to Portugal

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Portugal