My Rights in Cambodia

My scenario is a bit complicated and I am seeking advise from someone who has detailed knowledge about residency procedures and rights in Cambodia.
Firstly, I am a Pakistani Citizen, and I am living in Malaysia and I am a recognized refugee by United Nations. I am currently in Malaysia on a temporary visa which is due to expire soon. I have been told that it cannot be extended further and I must go back to Pakistan to get a new Malaysian visa. I am unable to go Pakistan since I have a life threatening situation there. This means that I need to fly to another country where I can apply a Malaysian visa from and fly back to Malaysia.
As a Pakistani citizen, I have few options such as Nepal, Sri lanka and Cambodia. So If I visit Cambodia, I have to be on a RESIDENCE VISA to get entertained by Malaysian embassy which will allow me to get back to Malaysia on a new tourist visa.
Now, I have been told that all I need to do is to get into Cambodia on a Tourist Visa and it can be extended as much as I want. My question is if I enter on a tourist visa, what I need to do to be a resident? Or simplifying my question, what I need to do to get the right to go to other embassies in Cambodia to apply visas of respective countries?

I hope my question was clear. Thanks in advance.

I am not sure about the residency, but a tourist visa can only be extended once. It is the normal visa (used to be known as a business visa) that can be extended indefinitely, at least for the time being.

AFAIK there is no such thing as permanent residency in Cambodia.

Websites are contradicting each other, so I cannot give you exact advice. But I can tell you what you cannot do and maybe give a hint.

You cannot just go and apply for a Cambodian tourist visa. Citizens of some countries, including Pakistan, are obliged to get a visa from the Cambodian embassy in their home country. As that is not possible in this case I would advise to ask the Cambodian embassy in Malaysia, they should be able to tell you what to do. In all case you'll need a return ticket, a booked and confirmed accommodation and a passport photo. If they cannot give you a visa they should be able to tell you what to do.

Another good way is to obtain an invitation from an organization or NGO.

Good luck.

So on that 'normal visa', can I just go to Malaysian Embassy or any other Embassy in Cambodia to obtain their respective visas?

As I stated you cannot enter Cambodia and get a visa upon arrival, neither a Tourist via nor an Ordinary visa. For citizens of many countries it works that way , but not for citizens of a few other countries and Pakistan is one of those "restricted" countries.

Once you have a visa you can get to the Malaysian embassy, no problem.

Questions and answers about visas

Ask your question
VOA application forms
By sirion
Cambodian Business Visa hurdles. HELP!
By marukai47
Cambodian Visa's - Essential Information
By rarky
Get a business visa and extend it.
By treybrice409
Moving with a family
By SugarBee22

Expatriate health insurance in Cambodia

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Cambodia

Moving to Cambodia

Find tips from professionals about moving to Cambodia

Travel insurance in Cambodia

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Cambodia

Flights to Cambodia

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Cambodia