Moving to Mexico with a Pet

I currently live in Canada and I am relocating to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.  I am wondering if anyone has moved their animal from a cold location to somewhere warm.  I am bringing (hopefully) my cat to Mexico...but I'm worried that she won't adjust to the weather change as well as to the many thunder and lightening storms.

Anyone have feedback?

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi there, I, too, am moving from cold to Mex in a week and a half with my cat!  I'm in Wisconsin - ugh - and she loves the warm, so I think she will fare well.  I don't know that there's lots of thunder and lightning, but it does rain.  I am a little more concerned with all the fireworks and parades and fiestas, although personally I can't wait to see them.
She is coming on the plane with me (Emma) and she will be in her carrier for about 10 hrs., so that's what I'm most concerned about.  She's only been in one for about 3, at most, so far, so she won't be happy with me, but the alternative is to stick them in cargo which I heard is a nightmare for pets and humans alike.  Anyway, I hope you get some good advice, but animals adapt very well, I wouldn't too much about your cat.  Mine will probably be hiding under the bed the first week I'm there, but she'll be okay, eventually, God willing.
Can I ask why you're moving to Mexico?  (I'm moving to Guadalajara to teach ESL.)
Blessings, Brenda

I moved my cats from Houston Tx, to Mexico City and back and they  adjusted well to both climates. If possible keep your cats in door, at least at night, there are a lot of stray cats. I never kept mine in doors but they did get in a few scuffles...no harm done.

I just moved a week and a half ago from Wisconsin to Guadalajara.  My cat was in her carrier for 12 hrs. but did just fine.  I think the cabin pressure hurt her ears a little, but she adjusted.  It's cooler at night and in the daytime, and everything's cement (apts.), so she should be fine.  Also you could run a fan, when it gets warmer (come May/July).
The busses are loud but I don't believe there's any thunder with the rain, not that I've heard.  Just spend a LOT of time w/your cat and give them love and attention in spades.  Mine is shy and scared normally, but she seems to have adjusted fine.  Even got the name of a good vet in Guad.  I brought 2 portable litter boxes, double bagged some litter and food and bought a slotted spoon to dump her waste.  There will be fireworks, but have a dark, comfy spot for them to hide in if they're frightened.  Mine found an empty computer printer box the first 10 seconds in our apt. and hid in there for about 2 days.  But now she sleeps on my bed and goes under it, haha.
It's all worked out, although we'll be moving in June.
Let me know if you have any more q's.
-Brenda

We've moved both a cat and a dog from Canada to Mexico without any problems. Just make sure you get your travel certification from your vet in Canada no more than 7 days before your pet arrives in Mexico, otherwise you'll have problems at entry. Our cat has unusually long hair so she is quite happy in the relatively cool climate of Mexico City and doesn't much care for the two hot months of April and May.

If you have room, bring some scratch pads, hairball treatment, etc. for your cat from Canada. You'll be shocked at how much pet supplies, including food, cost in Mexico. And, of course, Canada has a wider variety of products. On the other hand, you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how reasonable vet fees are in Mexico. Good luck with the move!

Brian

Thanks Everyone <3
I feel so much better about the move!!