3 Months After Leaving PR

Sorry bro hear about your unfortunate situation when you were here .
We are on our fourth move since living in pr for 2 years .We just found a 5 bedroom with 3 full bathrooms all with tubs. On a dead end street .We are 2 mins from town and 6 mins to the beach
Our rent will be $650 for the ffirst 4 months and then $700 a month after that .We negotiated the price because we have to buy appliances. We have been able to find places with appliances or negotiated the price to include them buying appliances
$400 for an electric bill definitely seems really high. Never seen one here at that price
I have heard horror stories of $400 water bills with no explanation for people that definitely didn't use that much water
I just saw a home in quebradillas  with ocean views for $750 a month on classifies
Please don't use airbnb or any of those sites if you plan on staying for a long time
Before we moved my husband took a Weekend trip here. I gave him a list of places and contacted the landlords for appointments before he flew here. In a week he found a place and bought a vehicle
It was an expensive trip but it saved us so much time and hassle if we would have done it differently  I strongly suggest doing it this way
Seems that a lot of people that have lived here from the states definitely enjoy isabela
We first lived in cabo rojo then moved to arecibo
Currently we live in Rincon. We love it here but it definitely a real touristy loud places .Our new place is located in aguada .We are 17 mins to Rincon .Many people who lived in Rincon have moved to aguada
Best of luck
Feel free to message me
I haven't been on here for a while .I was very active in the Bernie Sanders campaign and fighting against the naled spraying here
Now involved in jill stein, and tryingb to stop the ttp and now educating people about the pipelines.
In north Dakota

Sending you pm, Sandra.

Well, if I hadn't been living here off and on for 5 years I would never think of moving here after reading all this whew. A lot of what is said can be true but there is also  another side. I'm an explorer and we have explored many avenues:
1.  food, you don't have to live in the super markets for everything we go out shopping every week at the big farmers market in San Sebastian for garden vegetables and greens, eggs from home grown chickens, honey, avocados, coconut, bananas, plantain, assorted fruits in season, etc. at a very reasonable price (less than super market).  We buy our fish from the local fisherman at a reasonable price and we shop for other items, beer, drinks, wine at Sam's, reasonably priced.
2.  housing - we live less than 10 minutes from Hobos beach area.  we decided not to live any closer because there is much more to maintain such as rust prevention.  we hear the ocean when the sea is rough, and can see it from our home.  There are many houses for rent in the Hobos area, not directly on the beach and rent is very reasonable.
3.  Electricity - we are a family of 2 in a fairly large house on a half acre, having family staying over at times and have never paid more than $40/mo. but have never used the air condition because we have lots of breeze from all directions because of the location.
4.  Water - we recently had a water problem because of leakage and this has been resolved and we now pay $40-$45/per month, including a heavy duty sprinkler system for the garden.  during the sunny season the water bill could be between $50. - 60./ month.
5.  Drivers and driving habits -  terrible.  they never use blinkers, do not follow the rules, jump out in front of you at any time, drive at nights with one head light (this is a approx. 30% of the driver population).
Living in PR depends a lot on your creativity and how much you are willing to explore other alternatives, of which there are.  This might not be your style but know that they do exist.

Haha about the drivers. Its crazy! Well we're here now. Just landed last Sunday. So far its been a lot getting out rental together. It was filthy, still kinda is but we're getting there. And stuff needs to be fixed, getting there. I can do a lot myself so that helps speed things up.

Ok check and see where Hobos is. We would love to get fresh fruits and vegetables! And currently because we have toddlers we need air conditioning. I'm going to get screens though so we can use it less. Also changing to LED bulbs.

Will update again once we're settled and out car and furniture gets here

I live in a house that has the size of what you are looking for.
We are 3 people and our bill is under $100!
But we don't use A/C, only fans and we got a solar water heater. My oven runs with electricity and I bake very often and we have 2 big refridgerators.
We live in Mayagüez and I heard that electricity is more expensive in the San Juan area.

Hello Rey - I have been reading everything you write and I believe you are correct in your suspicions-
Thank you for your information and taking the time to answer all these questions- 🌟

i bought a house in puetro rico but cant move in it yet not knowing its going to cost me about 17k to bring my belongings . need money for a well and solar because some say electric is 800 dollars a month. so house is still empty. and seller said electric was only about 150 dollars a month for 900 square foot home. what it costs 800 dollars to run just led lights  refrigerator tv and a fan. nothing else. my ac is opened windows. i read this price but given another. then how much you think it would cost for 900 square foot house for one. led lights no air conditioners a fan. my electric is same yearround in new york. do rates triple in summer months

Tseweam wrote:

i bought a house in puetro rico but cant move in it yet not knowing its going to cost me about 17k to bring my belongings . need money for a well and solar because some say electric is 800 dollars a month. so house is still empty. and seller said electric was only about 150 dollars a month for 900 square foot home. what it costs 800 dollars to run just led lights  refrigerator tv and a fan. nothing else. my ac is opened windows. i read this price but given another. then how much you think it would cost for 900 square foot house for one. led lights no air conditioners a fan. my electric is same yearround in new york. do rates triple in summer months

Moving can get pretty expensive. I'd say bring what you can't live without or what's worth to ship and buy the rest here. That's what my husband and I did. Electric can get really expensive and rates are probably gonna hike again, BUT if you have new energy efficient appliances and a small efficient AC the bill shouldn't be too bad. Around 150 sounds about right. You just have to make sure your meter and bill match so there's no back billing.

Tseweam wrote:

Hello!! 800 $$$???? 
Noooo!! We are 3 people, got a ceiling  fan in every room, got 2 big fridges and a electric stove wich I use often because I bake a lot and cook everyday and we pay around $80 -$100 a month!!!! We pay the same in summer and winter.

Your electric is likely around 90 a month is you are not using AC, count on 90-150 worst case. Rate does not change from summer to winter. Listen to Marion and Justpechyy. Water likely between 35-70 depending on use.
Hang clothes to dry, no dryer.

Then I am glad don't have to sit in new York waiting fir 40000 dollars to appear in checking account letting me know that I don't need solar as soon as I move in. Don't you don't have to have it right away. Or else house stay empty for years waiting for money to write that check out for 40000 dollars to have electric.don't like leaving it empty that long. Need to come down to it..maybe solar is less there. A lot cost is labor and interest in solar.I haven't priced it there. Only priced it on long island NY estimate 35000 dollars payback time is about 20 to 30 years paying interest for years. About 9000 dollars in interest too. Then I can come down sooner knowing what's really needed to move in

Tseweam wrote:

Then I am glad don't have to sit in new York waiting fir 40000 dollars to appear in checking account letting me know that I don't need solar as soon as I move in. Don't you don't have to have it right away. Or else house stay empty for years waiting for money to write that check out for 40000 dollars to have electric.don't like leaving it empty that long. Need to come down to it..maybe solar is less there. A lot cost is labor and interest in solar.I haven't priced it there. Only priced it on long island NY estimate 35000 dollars payback time is about 20 to 30 years paying interest for years. About 9000 dollars in interest too. Then I can come down sooner knowing what's really needed to move in

Wait, you purchase a home in PR, it must had had electricity either at the time you purchased it or at least a year before. If that is the case, then you never had a need for Solar other than wanting it so as not to pay the electric company. Do you have somebody you can ask? Maybe the realtor or maybe somebody you know in PR that can see if there is an electric pole anywhere near your place with wires running to your property?

There are places with no water and no electricity but usually those are in very, very remote areas and or lands that were never meant to be own by people and instead be part of public lands.

If you have neighbors and they have water from the street and electricity from the street, you should have the same. What it is likely you will not have is access to the sewer which is a completely different matter. Most houses in the country do not have a sewer that services them. Your property probably have a septic tank already so you will continue to use that.
Take a trip and check it out or send somebody to do you the favor and check it all out for you. Maybe if you have a contact for the previous owners and can ask them questions?
When you viewed the property you never saw anything electric like a light switch or light socket? Did you flushed the toilet or open a faucet ? If at least you saw them when you looked at the house then I am 99.99% sure you have some form of electricity already and some source of water already. Use those and change or upgrade later. Check your memories or pictures you took.

Three TVs, 4 tablets, four fans, internet box, two computers, two side by side refrigerators, two ceiling fans (one going constantly, daughter!), and my bill is $75-$85/month. 4 bedroom, three bath home, with marquesina underneath the house, parking for 5 cars (to get an idea of the size of the house... I don't know my square footage).

i probably going to save there for one reason there is almost no entertainment around except san juan area which i didnt want because of major traffic. it was a hard choice do i want lots of activities to do but have bumper to bumper traffic everywhere you go or less traffic but nothing to do. pretty shocked almost every activity is in san juan. once you leave that area becomes dead. but dead would save money because there is no place to spend it. right now i live on long island but i live 20 minutes away from most activities. normally 100 bucks a week for music out. i know there is the beach and rainforest where i picked but night your will be sitting home because there is no entertainment around. as soon you type in san juan loads of entertainment shows up. would think alot like live music  djs resturuants etc. that 100 doesnt include eating. just the music. go out and listen to music most of night. but i also enjoy the nature stuff plenty of that to do too so i decided skip the san juan area because of traffic but would been more english there. next thing is try to learn some spanish not everyone speaks english. yes i tried all the lights and water. just got nervous about what i read online saying very expensive and unreliable. not being sure what it meant. after reading this site i know now. its about the same as here new york. price yes.  here its about 135 a month with no ac

Well, what do you consider entertainment? In places all over the west coast, there are plenty of restaurants, that have great food, and live music, well into the night. Not colloseum concerts, but they don't last all night, either.

Tseweam wrote:

i probably going to save there for one reason there is almost no entertainment around except san juan area which i didnt want because of major traffic. it was a hard choice do i want lots of activities to do but have bumper to bumper traffic everywhere you go or less traffic but nothing to do. pretty shocked almost every activity is in san juan. once you leave that area becomes dead. but dead would save money because there is no place to spend it. right now i live on long island but i live 20 minutes away from most activities. normally 100 bucks a week for music out. i know there is the beach and rainforest where i picked but night your will be sitting home because there is no entertainment around. as soon you type in san juan loads of entertainment shows up. would think alot like live music  djs resturuants etc. that 100 doesnt include eating. just the music. go out and listen to music most of night. but i also enjoy the nature stuff plenty of that to do too so i decided skip the san juan area because of traffic but would been more english there. next thing is try to learn some spanish not everyone speaks english. yes i tried all the lights and water. just got nervous about what i read online saying very expensive and unreliable. not being sure what it meant. after reading this site i know now. its about the same as here new york. price yes.  here its about 135 a month with no ac

Not sure where you will be, but it sounds you need an environment where there is more English. Towns have bars, restaurants, outside music at the plaza, and some have Dance halls, but most of it is Puerto Rican, Cuban or Dominican music which may not be what you like. So you need be closer to a more English oriented environment with either a high Catholic or atheos population in order to get a livelier environment.

About 50% of the PR population are Protestant, they don't dance or drink, they spend a lot of time at church or church activities, a lot of times the more isolated areas are 85% protestant. I grew up in that sort of environment and when it came to find places where I could sin, it sucked.

OSJ had small open-air bolero concerts most weekends when I lived there. I loved the atmosphere created by the music, with the surrounding colonial architecture. Lovely.

My guess is someone is giving you very bad info: electric costs are HIGH but an $800 will only come if you keep the A/C on, all the lights on, run the washer and dryer, and water heater on 24/7... average bill in the 900 sq.ft. home you mentioned should be $125 MAX.
Be careful of water leaks because THAT can cost you some serious money and the AAA will NOT give you a break.

Don't mean to be mean but English does not sound like your first language,  you live  on Long Island ?(very big island BTW, kind of like Puerto Rico: the people who live in the far east have little in common with the people who live closer to the city.  I am from the Bronx originally.)  but where are you from originally?   Anyway, there are always local pubs and bars with music  sometimes live, all over the island especially on Sunday afternoons; most restaurants have some kind of music.  Luquillo has tons of them especially on the weekends; and they have some festivals as well. The St. Patrick's day festival is a lot of fun as is the Tinglar festival.  Fajardo has a big boating community and music events on  many weekends.  Las Croabas is very hopping on Saturday nights as is Punta Santiago and Naguabo.

I ran up a $400 bill once. A/C 24/7 in a three bedroom apartment.

Indeed, Rey, which is why water rates rise when water efficiency measures are effective.

Plus I need to research a drought landscape. Drought lawn, cant water because would cost 1000 a month then would be focused to sell house and move back to sucky new York just to a garden. Picked the punta santigio area.

ReyP wrote:
Tseweam wrote:

i probably going to save there for one reason there is almost no entertainment around except san juan area which i didnt want because of major traffic. it was a hard choice do i want lots of activities to do but have bumper to bumper traffic everywhere you go or less traffic but nothing to do. pretty shocked almost every activity is in san juan. once you leave that area becomes dead. but dead would save money because there is no place to spend it. right now i live on long island but i live 20 minutes away from most activities. normally 100 bucks a week for music out. i know there is the beach and rainforest where i picked but night your will be sitting home because there is no entertainment around. as soon you type in san juan loads of entertainment shows up. would think alot like live music  djs resturuants etc. that 100 doesnt include eating. just the music. go out and listen to music most of night. but i also enjoy the nature stuff plenty of that to do too so i

Not sure where you will be, but it sounds you need an environment where there is more English. Towns have bars, restaurants, outside music at the plaza, and some have Dance halls, but most of it is Puerto Rican, Cuban or Dominican music which may not be what you like. So you need be closer to a more English oriented environment with either a high Catholic or atheos population in order to get a livelier environment.

About 50% of the PR population are Protestant, they don't dance or drink, they spend a lot of time at church or church activities, a lot of times the more isolated areas are 85% protestant. I grew up in that sort of environment and when it came to find places where I could sin, it sucked.

Hola--here's the present situation. The CIA World Factbook reports that 85% of the population of Puerto Rico is Roman Catholic, with the remaining 15% divided among Protestantism, Islam, and Judaism.
Well I am so happy to be in that 85% don't know what to do. I think I'll head out right now--drink, dance and sin!!! jajajaja!! :Gloria

PS: A few southern Baptists I noticed postin here. I'll bet they can break away from the Meetin' and join me down at Wilibeto-Roberto's aka Billy-Bob's for a Coca-Cola, yep.  EEEEE-HAAAAAA!!

35th wrote:
ReyP wrote:
Tseweam wrote:

i probably going to save there for one reason there is almost no entertainment around except san juan area which i didnt want because of major traffic. it was a hard choice do i want lots of activities to do but have bumper to bumper traffic everywhere you go or less traffic but nothing to do. pretty shocked almost every activity is in san juan. once you leave that area becomes dead. but dead would save money because there is no place to spend it. right now i live on long island but i live 20 minutes away from most activities. normally 100 bucks a week for music out. i know there is the beach and rainforest where i picked but night your will be sitting home because there is no entertainment around. as soon you type in san juan loads of entertainment shows up. would think alot like live music  djs resturuants etc. that 100 doesnt include eating. just the music. go out and listen to music most of night. but i also enjoy the nature stuff plenty of that to do too so i

Hola--here's the present situation. The CIA World Factbook reports that 85% of the population of Puerto Rico is Roman Catholic, with the remaining 15% divided among Protestantism, Islam, and Judaism.
Well I am so happy to be in that 85% don't know what to do. I think I'll head out right now--drink, dance and sin!!! jajajaja!! :Gloria

PS: A few southern Baptists I noticed postin here. I'll bet they can break away from the Meetin' and join me down at Wilibeto-Roberto's aka Billy-Bob's for a Coca-Cola, yep.  EEEEE-HAAAAAA!!

Gloria, your post is ridiculously funny!🤣😂

ReyP wrote:
Tseweam wrote:

Are you kidding?? I think the worst people are the ones who go to church 3x a week, hahaha

When I lived in Texas I was warned about the Baptists - never take a single Baptist out fishing with you, he'll drink all your beer... better to take two Baptists with you, then neither will drink your beer as they would tell on each other if they were to drink beer.    :D

Careful with the religion subject, we don't want a war here. BTW that was funny Sitka.

Marion-Olga wrote:
ReyP wrote:
Tseweam wrote:

Are you kidding?? I think the worst people are the ones who go to church 3x a week, hahaha

I never go to any church, I developed an allergy to any type of religion, my family in PR on the contrary are in church or some church activity or visiting somebody that is sick or needs help a minimum of 5 days a week. They are protestant.

I like my sin too much, so I avoid all religions.

ReyP wrote:
Marion-Olga wrote:
ReyP wrote:

I never go to any church, I developed an allergy to any type of religion, my family in PR on the contrary are in church or some church activity or visiting somebody that is sick or needs help a minimum of 5 days a week. They are protestant.

I like my sin too much, so I avoid all religions.

Yeah, I don't need to believe in religion, I believe in myself#

ReyP wrote:

Careful with the religion subject, we don't want a war here. BTW that was funny Sitka.

Hold on there Rev Rey, you started it with the PR 50% is Protestant and go find a Catholic or "atheo" neighborhood if you want to sin, jjjj.

Darned Catholics migrated to PR by the thousands after you left 40 years ago and you know what happened when they reached 85%--there went the barrio, ajajajajajaja!!!

Yea, my experience is that the majority in PR are Catholic, but there are plenty of other faiths on the island judging by the numbers and types of churches in my area.

My guess is Catholicism came to PR with Columbus  -  every small town square has a Catholic church on one side of the square.  The other faiths must have followed at later date.   Any historians here know the background?

I could ask the archbishop when I see him again - we had a glass of wine together a couple of years ago in a restaurant across his palace in San Juan. :D

That Catholicism came with Columbus is a safe bet, the Tainos may have had their own form of religion.
It looks like around 70% of the people here are members of the Catholic church, 25% some form of Protestantism and the remaining 5% several other or no churches. At least, that's what Wikipedia is telling us.

Found cheaper. To ship. Car then buy a juncky. Cars here are so expensive even for ones that don't run. Like expect to pay 10000 k for cars that don't even start and run. Lots of nonrunning cars for sale like 8000 dollars. Ex. Ford f150 12000 dollars but doesn't run or start. So you buy to just look at it at these prices in new York. Honda accord 6000 dollars. Says doesn't run not drivable. That's what you get for that price for a car. A car to look at like a nicknate

ReyP wrote:
Tseweam wrote:

Rey I read your post Catholics and Protestants. That will be more to our liking. Can you suggest a good high Catholic or atheos population area to move to?

One thing I realized in the past years is, that people from the US don't turn their lights and fans off,  even when they leave the house.
German always turn off what is not needed.  So if you continue your american lifestyle here in PR you will def. get a huge electricity bill!

londonpride wrote:
ReyP wrote:
Tseweam wrote:

Rey I read your post Catholics and Protestants. That will be more to our liking. Can you suggest a good high Catholic or atheos population area to move to?

I am not currently in the island. Some tell me that Catholics are now around 85% and that may be so in some areas. My experience is that the country side tends to be protestan, there are Catholic Churches all over the island, the key maybe English mass or Spanish mass. Places like San Juan, Dorado, Rincon, Fajardo, Humacao have large concentration of English speakers so easier to find English Mass.

You may not be old enough to remember but mass used to be conducted in Latin when I was growing up.