Close

Customer care in Nepal

Hello everyone,

The way customer services are handled can greatly affect your views on certain brands, products, companies or stores. As a consumer, it is important to get familiar with local practices regarding client assistance in Nepal and try to understand how things work in the country.

How would you describe your customer service experiences in Nepal?

Do you feel welcome when you enter a store? Do you get useful tips and advice?

Are after-sales services available in Nepal?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Horrible, but getting better. I've been here for over 5 years and try to always buy products made in Nepal and from the local housewares dealers in Kathmandu or Bhaktapur-preferably from our little village.

On a local level the people treat me wonderfully. However, when I have a person do a service for me or and really like them it seems that when I go back the third time they try to get the most out of me. But I have many good merchants who treat me well. Just a week or two ago I was buying a pair of shoes for a neighbor and the young woman in the store took off an additional 20% or more when I told her who they were for. I didn't ask; they were only $8 before discount and promised a refund in product if they didn't fit him.

But a few years ago I got a kurta set made and it was so small it was obviously made for a child. The man tried to get me to go try it on, then he told me that it was made well enough and to go. I even called the Tourist Police. It was only then that he opened the drawer to expose several thousand rupee. This is one tip that I have in my eBook, Nepal: A Tourist's Manual.

Also, I was buying my organic coffee from a guy in New Road for a long time. Coffee wasn't available in the markets in Bhaktapur until recently. So, the guy tells me it went up to 900NRs/$9 for a half KG. He was always nice and friendly, remembered me and called me by name so I trusted that he was telling me the truth and I paid the money. Then I was in the big supermarket and saw it for $2 less. He was just lying to me and smiling to my face.

The best example of bad customer service: I bought a couple induction cooktops when the Indian embargo started and frantically paid much more than I should have. So within a month one had already quit working. We took it back with the receipt only to find out it was the electric cord. The electric cord is not warranted: $12. I could easily have taken it to an independent repair shop and saved money.  It was only then that I realized it was from China. Chinese products exported to Nepal are very poor quality.

It isn't America and when the rupee leaves your hand it's pretty much gone. Not such a big deal and certainly nothing you cannot live without. Wega, Himstar and Gold Star, Fit Rite are all made in Nepal. Not only will you save more than you'd spend on repairs, but what I have of Nepali made products are working fine even after 3 years. The companies produce tariff-free products and create many jobs for Nepali. As far as I know there aren't sweatshops in Nepal.

Hi government sector is worst but private companies ok

Questions and answers about Nepal

Ask your question
Priscilla
Armand
Driving license in Nepal
By Armand
Julien
tmarcantonio
Teaching in Nepal
By tmarcantonio
D Khatiwada