Maiden Hawally

Heyy!! I'm new to this forum, been cramming my brains this last week over where to live in Kuwait. I'll be moving there in  two weeks time and I just want to ask about people's take on Maiden Hawally.I already read that Hawally is ghetto :/ but from what I've seen on google earth, it looks like Maiden Hawally might be better. Is it? Or is Maiden Hawally also ghetto? :/ I'm confused and partly lost :P

Welcome! and yeah maidan hawally is gud..better place! and near to all happening areas!

Hi, this Arshad, I am an Accountant can i know about u please?

regards

Idrees Khan wrote:

Welcome! and yeah maidan hawally is gud..better place! and near to all happening areas!

That's a relief! Thanks :D So you would actually recommend it for someone to live in that area?

Yes i do! am not sure where is work location..but am sure area is quite clean and nice!

Hi llllSeez,

there is another post active now from lara about living in Q8, which should give you better idea. Most of us (if not all :) ) are here for business and work purposes, so I suggest you take that into account also.

Ben

for someone who is just moving to kuwait, you certainly are going about making friends the right way. Ghetto you say? so that means people who live in Hawally are Ghetto?

when posting on a public forum, id be careful with the words i choose, some people might take offense.

legacy wrote:

for someone who is just moving to kuwait, you certainly are going about making friends the right way. Ghetto you say? so that means people who live in Hawally are Ghetto?

when posting on a public forum, id be careful with the words i choose, some people might take offense.

I'm sure that sounded horribly wrong, but the thing is that I was only quoting what other people were saying about the area. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, that wasn't anywhere close to being politically correct.

Ben, I did check the post by lara_q8 which got me concerned about Hawally in the first place. But I guess Maidan Hawally is another area...Thanks for the advice though :)

Idrees, my work location is somewhere in Kuwait City so I'm not sure how far that is from Maidan Hawally :\

Yeah Kuwait city is near actually from Maidan Hawally...which will help u in driving!

kuwait city is near the first ring road, and the gulf road, maidan hawalli is also close to the gulf road (from sha'ab park) and near to the 4th ring road.

the simplest route to get to kuwait city from midan hawalli would be to take a taxi out to the gulf road and head left in the direction of kuwait city. you will pass by souk sharq, burj ahmed, the grand mosque, the kuwait stock exchange.

kuwait city is a great place to work, it is the financial heart of kuwait, with a gazillion other companies. and a ton of eateries.

despite the financial strength of kuwait city, it is very easy to navigate, and quite pleasant to walk thru, especially in the current weather.

kuwait city is also the location of souk al mubarakiya, which is the old market of kuwait, a great place to get in touch with the essence of kuwaiti culture, to sample Iranian kebabs, buy fish at the fish market, gold, clothes, and even perfumes (u can score great deals on testers which are sold here).

all in all, you will enjoy your time.

There are many good places to live in Kuwait, believe me it depends on your budget so that first specify your budget then search for places.
Thats how is the life in kuwait.

and uh, learn the lingo a bit!

its not maiden as in unmarried girl, its maidan (ميدان in arabic) as in town square.

the rough price for a single bedroom apartment, in most lareas, is 180KD, 2 bedroom for 230KD. allot 5KD a month for garbage disposal by the haress, or guard, whatever u wish to call them, and 5KD for car-washing (if you plan on owning a vehicle).

do not under any circumstance open your door to strange women who come asking "do you want maid", coz they will rob you blind.

I live in Hawally... it is a ghetto. Don't worry, I'm not offended. Its not a ghetto in the sense that there's lots of crime or anything. Its just dirty, and smelly and generally sore on the eyes.... so don't move there. Salmiya's nice... lots of expats there :)

my suggestion - Salmoya block 2 or 10 , nice place to live with all the possible "goto" places near by - i work in Kuwait city , so its like a 20 minutes drive to work , which doset hurt me in anyway :)

Legacy, thanks for all the information I'll keep those in mind when I get there.I won't be opening my door though for anyone soon after what you said :P And the lingo will come, in time.

Moo, I've already set a budget of 210 KDs for a one bedroom apartment so I think I'm on the right side of things.

Cdedbdi, thanks :) Now I don't have to feel like such a horrible person :P

u.zair83, thanks for the advice!

cdedbdii wrote:

I live in Hawally... it is a ghetto. Don't worry, I'm not offended. Its not a ghetto in the sense that there's lots of crime or anything. Its just dirty, and smelly and generally sore on the eyes.... so don't move there. Salmiya's nice... lots of expats there :)

what you said about hawally remind me Akon song ghetto , that life when u living in the ghetto .. lool

what is wrong with hawally? is it that bad?

tai1017 wrote:

what is wrong with hawally? is it that bad?

No man not bad but u know people, gives names and describe area from their own view .for example some can say Hawalli is nice place but someone else will say not (Like me :) ).

hey theres nothing wrong with living/growing up in bad places :lol: I didnt learn to walk until I was 8 b/c of the windows :proud

noo, the correct sentence is "i grew up face to face with our dog coz we couldnt stand up infront of the windows", i think that was chris rock, in some movie. wait! lethal weapon!

legacy wrote:

noo, the correct sentence is "i grew up face to face with our dog coz we couldnt stand up infront of the windows", i think that was chris rock, in some movie. wait! lethal weapon!

man i saw the movie yesterday lool
cris rock is a funny guy.

(moderated: off topic)

have just moved to maidan Hawally and its great..can see the gulf from bedroom window, really quiet.

Block 2 and 10 in slamiya only if you ok with noise..traffic and closeness to gulf road lots of horns.

Have to say guys price wise I spent 5 weeks trawling accommodation from Mahboula to Salmita, Salwa, Maidan Hawally and I found very few priced as you say and then in places you might not want to live...

I now share 2 bedroom place fully furnished with other guy sharing gets you more for your money and our place big enough to have own space

the problem is scotty in some places they will not allow "bachelors" to live in packs. unless you have a respectable job; lawyers, doctors, auditors, engineers etc. they end up charging you extra, but like you said, sharing accomodation helps keep the cost down.

out of interest for the general public, given your recent trawling experience, why not share your findings with the group?

Yes, Hawally is that bad.... its nasty.
I'm the only one allowed to say that cause I live there... So I'm allowed to hate :P

teachers... :P