Adventures and Retirement

Hello, I just retired knowing that my pension will not offer a living in North America. I'll have my pensioners visa by early October and my plane leaves October 30th for Quito.
I'll start with Mindo although it could be more expensive due to tourism. But I'll look around the mountains closer to Quito without going much higher than Mindo. Also between Tena and Archadona. I hope to find a wood house of comfortable size and a yard to grow some food. I don't like big cities. I could learn that the city is better to start with since I won't be fluent in Spanish.
I know about the benefits and drawbacks for several areas.

jackcrowder wrote:

I'll start with Mindo although it could be more expensive due to tourism. But I'll look around the mountains closer to Quito without going much higher than Mindo. Also between Tena and Archadona....

I don't like big cities. I could learn that the city is better to start with since I won't be fluent in Spanish.

Welcome to the Ecuador forum, Jack.

Tena is a humid place that is a gateway to the Amazon jungle.  I've met people from there dating back to 2001, but no Gringos.  Don't expect to find English speakers in Tena.  Archadona is completely unknown to me.  I don't have any idea how that town even showed up on your radar.

Mindo has some Expats and, yes, the foreign visitors.  A friend of mine, formerly from California, recently opened a restaurant in Mindo .. and he finds it's close enough to Quito to make trips to the capital fairly frequently.  He has found a trusted employee who is acting manager and runs my friend's eatery when he comes to Quito.

Mindo might be a better choice for you than the places close to the Amazon jungle.

cccmedia

This is the outcome that I've been hoping for. I don't know if the available rentals will be suitable that are in my budget of under $400 per month.

Oh and thanks for the reply.

If you're looking for an unfurnished long-term rental in Mindo, you should be able to do that comfortably within your budget.

Furnished, short-term rentals would probably exceed your budget of about $13 a day for Expat-desired amenities.

cccmedia