Transporting a dog from England to Shenzhen

Hi Everyone
My name is Gouzia and I'm new to the forum. I currently live in England but I'm thinking about moving to Shenzhen for work by the end of this year. Before making any decisions and arranging work/accommodation, I'd like to ask if anyone has transported a medium size dog from the UK to Shenzhen? I have a lurcher (labrador height but slimmer and lighter :)). Has anyone did it on their own (without using pet travel companies)? If so, what was the process and costs like? Did your dog go through quarantine? Did you travel directly to Shenzhen or through HK? What airline did you use? If you used a pet travel company I'd be grateful if you could share your experience. Even thinking about moving my dog to China makes me really stressed so any tips and recommendations will be hugely appreciated.
Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.

I have not personally transported my pet via flight.  but here are few things you need to check before you think of choosing.

1. Must double and triple check that the airline/aircraft of your select have oxygen in the cargo hold.( i had a friend who did locally within china... crazy stress as even ground staff are informed of your pet upon check in ) yes there are flights that don't have oxygen in cargo hold.... please check once you arrive at airport as well... ( u should do initial one when booking the flight and making arrangements ) its cheaper to take your pet along with your flight... but if the ordeal on prep is not for you best use a pet transport company to make arrangements. )

2. Must ensure that your pet cage(transport box ) complies with the airline requirements. ( big issue as it would be shame if you got the wrong one and airline staff refuse to accept ) silly stuff like cage door grit size,lock type, cage strength etc...

3. Make sure your dog undergoes accustoms to being in cage in cold dark and noisy location ( or he/he will be too much stressed after the trip )

4. last but not least... please ensure even small dog is muzzled  or the cage is rapped in netting ( Chinese 80% populations are afraid of dogs no idea why  ,  some wont handel with care if they worried tiny mouth or claws will touch them) you can put a go pro in the cage to check out..

And yes there is a quarantine before you leave your place and a mandatory 5-7 days here in china as well ( they do for even local domestic flights )

make sure you have given the dog all shots ( i don't have the link on hand.. but there are some shots that need on its medical list i am sure your vet must know whats needed )

i am sorry to say if any of the above fail to meet here they don't say take back the pet to point of origin...its euthanize)

Thanks a lot for your reply AnoopDalian. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to be prepared for everything. Thanks again.

Questions and answers about Shenzhen

Ask your question
Learn Spanish in Shenzhen
By ftani
International School in Shekou
By chingching
New in Shenzhen
By Kabinetina
Filipina in Shenzhen looking for friends
By Schiela
Meet foreigners like me (I'm living in Futian district)
By Juliette.shenzhen

Expatriate health insurance in Shenzhen

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Shenzhen

Moving to Shenzhen

Find tips from professionals about moving to Shenzhen

Travel insurance in Shenzhen

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Shenzhen

Flights to Shenzhen

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Shenzhen