Volunteering opportunities for newcomers?

I'd like to know if there are volunteer opportunities for people who have just moved to Kenya? It's likely that I will not have a paying job for about the first 4-6 months but in the meantime would love to volunteer at a hospital, shelter or school. Are there restrictions?

Hello, what kind of volunteer assistance would you love to offer? I have a school and an orphanage. Kindly let's discuss and see wayforward.

Regarding voluntary work, yes there are restrictions, depending upon the type of visa that you have, but as a rule ANY work, paid or unpaid is prohibited on a single entry visa, or Dependents Pass.  You are supposed to apply for a work permit.

People do do voluntary work against the conditions of their visa, but there is always the risk of possibly being caught and such offences are treated seriously.

You should also be aware that the Kenyan government recently announced a crackdown on the issuance of work permits to foreigners. It's to do with the high level of unemployment amongst graduates.

There are a few recent threads on working in Kenya, I suggest you have a read through.

Questions and answers about the labor market

Ask your question
Getting into the UN
By Varshini28
Looking for a Company that does retail installations.
By AndrewMcIlrath
Where to apply for bartender job?
By 761
I need your advice!
By tnpygc
Special Pass to Work ?
By Hasshu

Expatriate health insurance in Kenya

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Kenya

Moving to Kenya

Find tips from professionals about moving to Kenya

Travel insurance in Kenya