Requirements for moving with non-EU girlfriend


Let me give you an idea of my situation. I (EU) have a, in The Netherlands, registered partnership with my girlfriend (non-EU) for half a year now, and we would like to move to Portugal. I have read many forums and websites (SEF), contacted many embassies and officials, but specific questions cannot be answered by these people it seems. The answers are very general, so I'm hoping that some experienced people here now facts from fiction.

1) Is our registered partnership recognised in Portugal?

2) How do you proof that you've been living together for two years? Is this through officials documents, or by contract stating that you've been dating for two years?

3) Can I, like in Spain, show a proof of sufficient funds instead of proof of income? I'd like to go self employed but take it slowly until we're really settled in Portugal. I've heard one source saying that it was €475/month for two years (= €11.400,-), another one said that he had to pay six months of taxes upfront, etc. I don't know what's right and wrong.

That's all for now. I hope someone can help me with these questions either through experience or with sources on websites, cause it appears to be very difficult to get the questions answered.

Thank you for the help,


New topic