Inappropriate use of this blog site & disrepecting Compound residents

To all member of this blog site, having been registered on this site since September 2009 and a guest of Riyadh since March 2010 (and my husband since November 2009), I am noting this post as a 'heads-up' to others.

I have received too many requests from some new members for things like:
- "you live on a Compound, can you invite me to your parties that happen there and maybe I can meet a woman to marry"
- "I am working her in Riyadh actually i want to meet my girfreind in a safe place then she suggested if we can meet in a compund  they told me that you should got a sponsor from the coumpound can you please sponsor us we will not bother you and your huasband only will come to facility area"
- "we hear you can do what you want on Compounds, can you please invite me so I can as well"

So, let me tell you, I am finding this extremely dis-respectful and am reporting any such pm's as abuse of the site to the Expat.com team.  Just for the record, for any non-Compound members:

1.  We are respectful, honest and decent people.
2.  Most of us are here with our families (which include young children), we do not have parties everynight, nor do we run around naked, nor are we up all night doing strange and wonderful things.
3.  We are here due to an engagement of work, of which we work very hard to conduct.  Of a weekend most of us are tired and like to spend some quality time with our families, get rest and spend some time with friends or exploring this interesting Country.
4.  We pay a high cost to reside on Compounds and the main purpose is the security it affords.  It is not a holiday camp, nor an entertainment centre, nor a brothel!

So, please refrain from these insults of asking us to conduct illegal activities or to act against the rules of this Country by supporting your relationships.

I find it sad to be making this post as this was not the intention of this blog, but it has been noted and said in recent months, there are now too many new members who are not understanding thew purpose of this site and who continue to abuse the goodwill of this site.  I have just had enough and will expose the culprits in future; so be warned!  Julien and team, over to you now.....

:thanks::thanks:

Ma'am, Respect!

:D

Cheers!

OMG the NERVE of some people! its very right that you report this abuse.

thanks for reporting us this issue. I'll have a word with the team about it.

can you read this kind of messages on the public forums, or is it private messages only ?

rightly said GWTFUK... @Julien, i think these are private messages only as i didnt come across this in open and even though i dont live in a compound, i was asked for a contact in compounds... so i can understand wat others who are actually there are going through... these days i seriously think a clean up is necessary

shahab.ali wrote:

a clean up is necessary

you mean ? deleting accounts ?

:)

Julien wrote:
shahab.ali wrote:

a clean up is necessary

yes!

@julien you really should make a complaints section. and well perhaps deleting the accounts, after a couple of warnings, yeah perhaps that would be necessary as well.

gowiththeflowUK wrote:
Julien wrote:
shahab.ali wrote:

a clean up is necessary

yes!

yeah i meant that... but think of it GWTFUK, this is not a family site. In here, we expand our family. well, i dont know how to explain but something needs to be done to bring back the charm of this forum... the excitement is losing out

GWTF well said.

I am on here less and less as the forum has taken a turn for the worse. I was lucky that when I first started here there was a bunch of peopl who were expats and you felt you could discuss many things on here in an open and friendly manner.

That is not the case anymore. It is also apparent that a lot of the people who made this a great blog no longer post!

These are the time i wish this had a "like" button!

we plan / we'll try something new in the next few days. Stay tuned ...

What mistake I did was to disclose my mobile number on here and then I started to get calls from unknown persons asking for friendship etc etc....

I do not have any intention to meet any one from here in real life except if he knows how to play squash :-)

Cheers
Happy new year and may 2011 bring better increment and bonus ;-)

rightly said gowiththeflowUK, its mis perception among the ppl that there are parties every night in the compounds,before coming to  saudia when i got to know that i'll be living in a compound i got feeling that wow im going to heaven lol...but seriously ppl are here for work and everyone is really busy in work,
c'mon ppl,compounds are part of kingdom and laws of kingdom also applicable here,there are just some relaxation for ppl coming from different cultures and it doesnt mean its a brothel...

What we are forgetting is that we are living and working in one of the most repressed countries in the world where people are being told what to do and think and woman are treated in a shocking way.

By living a life that to us is normal behind compound walls does seem to the average Saudi that we are debauched and all the woman are sluts as they walk about showing their body to men.

This in no way condones their actions.

You be surpised to know how people behave when they travel abroad, completely different than being local.

I know folks who would not want to see each other in another country becuase then the other would see the face of the women, so in the end, it is cultural not religious, however it has become complicated to separate.
Cheers

oraclefusions wrote:

You be surpised to know how people behave when they travel abroad, completely different than being local.

I know folks who would not want to see each other in another country becuase then the other would see the face of the women, so in the end, it is cultural not religious, however it has become complicated to separate.
Cheers

I am well aware how a lot behave outside of Kingdom. Double standards!

Just go to the causeway on a Wednesday night!

:):)

can we concentrate on the initial topic please ?

thanks

:cool:

moon77 wrote:
MaserMan wrote:

What we are forgetting is that we are living and working in one of the most repressed countries in the world where people are being told what to do and think and woman are treated in a shocking way.

By living a life that to us is normal behind compound walls does seem to the average Saudi that we are debauched and all the woman are sluts as they walk about showing their body to men.

This in no way condones their actions.

Sorry you
There is no repression. there was a demand that people are not perfect
And by some of the display in the compound which I told you, the case of a few
And do not represent the Saudi society,

Do not forget the instinctive nature of human beings
Especially the young, they flame of ideas and activity.
Why do not expect a lot of young people, they are challenging themselves
In the end because a wise man head of household, or a mother, looking for the ideal
People here do not complain to encourage this culture
Remember is the culture of people not related to the repression or the system
It is safe ground. Ideal for family living

But our case this blog
How to be perfect clones
We complain of repression in the street

Here is a perfect example of why this blog is now the way it is!

:):)

moon77 > enough off topic or I'll moderate

MaserMan, believe me, that's gonna change soon ! (the team is currently on holidays we're back tomorrow with a lot of resolutions)

just to let let you know, non-relevant and useless treads (and users) will be severely moderated / deleted / banned

we'll first concentrate on a list of rules

thanks

Getting ugly.  Take off the gloves, I'll get some popcorn and watch/read.

^ I am with you mate.. :cheers:

Greetings everyone ...  gowiththeflowUK   I agree with you,I know that I am not expat This is not my place to be in
so from my point of view  as a sudi the  reason I joined this forum
is coz  I am a social person and I love to meet new people from   Different cultures and make new Friends, and I hope that this not be a reason to judge all the Saudi who  joined this forum Because of a Few bad People Who want to Take advantage of u expats .
I wish you all the best :)

ali-7 wrote:

Greetings everyone ...  gowiththeflowUK   I agree with you,I know that I am not expat This is not my place to be in
so from my point of view  as a sudi the  reason I joined this forum
is coz  I am a social person and I love to meet new people from   Different cultures and make new Friends, and I hope that this not be a reason to judge all the Saudi who  joined this forum Because of a Few bad People Who want to Take advantage of u expats .
I wish you all the best :)

Ali-7, your comments and honesty is appreciated and it is unfortunate that not every non-Expat does not have the same approach as you.  We all have a curiosity and desire to meet and learn of new people, different cultures and a desire to understand different believes and view points.  However, this site was developed for Expats and this particular forum is focused on Riyadh.  We all have the opportunity via a whole range of sites to register and meet people, if that is our intention, this site has a very specific agenda of being an information source and resource for Expats.  So, it is not always appropriate for these sites to be 'hijacked' by people seeking to meet others or to learn from them.  If someone is not an Expat, then I do not see why they should continue to bug this site out and cause constant 'off topic' threads just for their own gain.  As is clearly evident from the likes of Moon77 this is a Saudi who cannot even speak English, but instead uses tools such as Google translate to attempt to communicate on this site and by doing so presents us all with utter gobbly gook and is an actual nuisance to the site.  We have also had none Expats ranting and raving at us about the fact that we are not Saudi's (doh - of course we are not) and then telling us that we are infidels and that we are all damned to a hell beyond words ....  To be honest, some of us who are in Riyadh by invitation of employment, who have worked extremely hard all our lives to earn our qualifications, our work experience, to be good family members and members of society, to be good people and who are here in Riyadh respecting the rules of the land and the people are really getting pee'd off with this behaviour.  Most of you will notice, as Maserman correctly points out, most of us no longer engage on this site for all these reasons.  I only chose to indulge again due to the latest pm I received that was the 'icing on the cake' for me and enough is enough.

hi Again ...
i Certainly agree with u and if i was in u r Place I would have felt the same way i think but to clear  something out One of my goals of Joining this site is to give information or to be Useful As best I could like u said ((this site has a very specific agenda of being an information source and resource for Expats.))
in the end if our being here as non_expat is Causing so much trouble i must apologize on behalf of everyone  .:(

I think as long as we dont end up making this site as local vs expats, it will be ok... Moreover, there are some sections on the site such as classified, where locals can also buy and sell, it is going to be very much difficult and not useful if we do not welcome locals who are trying to help and guide us.
We should welcome whoever wants to positivly controbute to this site, I guess....

PS: Can we have an auto spell check on this site for our posts

@oracle fusions: I completely agree. the locals do have a large amount of info that we can use, and people who contribute should be welcomed..

for spell check, well I use chrome, It has an in built spell check option. IE is way too slow..

As we cannot control who joins this site (they can say what they want about who they are and where they are from), it would be easier to have a stricter usage policy.  Maybe a consideration would be something on the lines of the following:

1.  Any new topic gets a new post and members are no longer allowed to have multiple topics in one post.
2.  Anyone off topic the Blog team delete the thread and a sends a pm (1st notification) to them that they were off topic.  This can happen up to three times (3rd and final notification), then that member is suspended or deleted.
3.  Anyone who is offensive on the site gets reported immediately and suspended until the Blog team can investigate then they make a decision on whether to issue a final user warning and reinstate or to delete.
4.  The rules of the site are made clearer and an accept process put in place with all member registration.
5.  There is an Expat.com forum for Saudi Arabia so maybe this should be the section to be developed for "anyone" wishing to contribute and provide information.  The Expat.com team can then populate the 'Guide' section with information that is relevant for the Guide or any other section of the generic information sites.

That's it so far; hope some of it is useful?

GWTFuk,

The one area that I would challenge is the 'off topic' rule. Some threads are all the more entertaining as they bounce around, however if you are talking about posts that are not in keeping with the thread, trying to be pc which is rather unlike me :), then agree with a ban etc.

MaserMan wrote:

GWTFuk,

The one area that I would challenge is the 'off topic' rule. Some threads are all the more entertaining as they bounce around, however if you are talking about posts that are not in keeping with the thread, trying to be pc which is rather unlike me :), then agree with a ban etc.

Hi MM2, I know, it's a difficult one, especially as some of the best things about the more successful forums/blogs like these are the fact that they are spontaneous and in good humour reactive.  By nature of that you will naturally have a 'drift' off topic, but this is normally because the members have gone down a 'humour' thread, in mutual agreement. 

This is all even more frustrating that we now have to consider increasing moderation and applying 'terse rules' when this is not necessary if we were dealing with responsible, sensible and culturally diverse people.  As per usual, the behaviour of the minority negatively impacts the majority! 

My suggestions remain only that and these positive and constructive comments are all necessary to feed into the Expat.com team for their deliberations.

Probably some senior members here, who are very regular can assist Julien in moderating the posts. Probably one for every city.

You have given some serious thought into this I see. Hmm.. Well I think the forums and the posts in them should be moderated by the people themselves. Because if it does go off topic, and its fun, then what the heck why not.. But yeah completely off topic discussion by one member, there should be some way to report abuse there.

PM, three strikes and out. I think thats a bit more better.

Well i guess people should just understand what Expat.com does and why the expats are here in the first place.

On the whole, the year beginning and a real scorcher of a topic. :D and I do mean that in a good way..

Cheers!