New in Jaeren

Hello all,

I'm a Canuck who moved to Jaeren after 13 years in Scotland to take up an academic position.  I've been here about four months now and am really learning to love the place.  Being in rural Jaeren, though, i am finding it hard to meet Kindred Spirits! 

I am a musician who plays guitar and ukelele (a new found love!) and all kinds of roots music, from country to bothy ballads.  I love cooking (and am always looking for tips for obtaining utlander mat!) which is great, given this is the land of dinner parties.  Would love to participate in pot-luck dinners, too.  I love getting out into the beautiful countryside around here, and taking the time to smell the roses (or whatever passes for them here)and am starting to get to know my way around Jaeren, from the hills of HoyJaeren to the beaches along the coast.

As a colonial i feel both soothing similarities (Big environment/small people) and jarring differences (a somewhat reserved culture, way more rules about things...) from my Cdn upbringing.  All in all, though, i must say that after Scotland (which i loved!) moving here was a bit like moving closer to home.   I have a blog in which i have been posting some reflections about life here -- www.rhysmhor.tumblr.com   and write an occasional series of Letters from Norway for the Scottish Rural Network -- http://www.ruralgateway.org.uk/en/node/2842   Am definitely learning to love this place.

As i've only been here four months, am keen to meet new folk, so if this peaks your interest, let me know and we could meet up for a jar, a mug or just a chat!

cheers
rhys

Welcome to Expat.com rhys, and Happy New Year !

Cheers Julien,
and God Nyttar to you too!   New life in a new place - can't ask for better than that.

rhys

Hey Rhys,

I too moved here from Scotland nearly 3 years ago and am living just outside Klepp.  It's a wonderful part of the country, so close to city live, but easy to escape to the hills for a day or weekend walking.

I too enjoy cooking and highly recommend you stop by the butcher in Klepp.  Very high quality, much better then the supermarkets which I am often disappointed with when it comes to meat selections and quality.  We bought Pinnekjøtt for New Years Eve dinner and paid about the same as you would in Coop for pre-packaged stuff.  They have a nice selection and is worth a visit to pick up somehing for the Sunday roast.

If fish is your thing then a trip into Stavanger to pick up fresh shimps and lobster off the boats is great, also there is the fish market, it's the funky looking building at the harbour in stavanger surrounded by the resturants and bars.

It's also worth picking up your vegetables from the local farms, they are cheaper then the supermarkets and are fresh!

I hope you are settling in and a happy new year.

Neal

Cheers for responding, Neal.

Thanks for all the recommendations. We clearly are of similar minds here.  I buy all my root veg and the incredible 'double-plomme egger' right down the road from me at the Groensaker outlet in Englesvollveien in Klepp St.   And yesterday i rode my bike out to that farm retailer on the 44 in Skjaeveland.  My big recent discovery is the Helgo Matsenter just outside of Sandnes.  They have lots of UK brands and stuff you just can't get in the Coop.  Very stoked! (altho each time i go there i get too much stuff to put on the bike...)

And fish, yes, that's my thing alright!  Have been going down to Siravag to pick up fresh cooked reker and crab. Haven't bought fish off the boat there yet, but understand it can be done, especially cod.  Want to try out the fish market in Stavanger tho, for wild salmon, if possible.

I'm a hop skip and jump from Froylandsvaten, so that makes easy recreation.  I've just discovered the Jaeren kajakkclubb who maintain a container of kayaks on the loch. Planning to join this spring and spend some time on the watter after going through some acceptance training.

And speaking of Pinnekjott, i have just published another Letter from Norway on the Scottish Rural Network -- http://www.ruralgateway.org.uk/en/node/3121

Tis great to encounter like minded spirits from home.  Lets make a plan to meet up for a coffee or pint some time, and perhaps even break bread at some point.

cheers
rhys

Hei Rhys, I currently live just a kilometre up the road from the farm shop on 44 in skjaeveland, brunesveien.
Helgøs do have some nice stuff compared to the Co-op but I still miss sausages(with meat in them).
I am working off of the Australian coast over christmas and hogmonay, so I will happily forego the ordeal of pinnekjott and get a 'proper' dinner.
Give me a shout if your coming my way and we can meet, I occasionally go to Bryne to the French cafe in the library, very good food and the couple are incredibly nice people.

All the best Paul

Hei Paul,

Thanks for the note.   Enjoy your antipodean christmas and yes, lets get together at the Fr cafe in Bryne!

(you can email me at [email protected]  to get me directly)

cheers
rhys