Close

How to select your ISP - Internet in Vietnam

dudumomo :
eodmatt :

I will do some testing and see - and it wasn't expat.com that blocked me it was viettel as I couldn't get anything to work on the internet unless I used a vpn. However once I had spoken to the viettel engineer my internet magically came back.

Thanks for the help!

Strange.... but I get it...

Well, Mr Vietnam, we have now 1GBPs connection.
Of course Vietnam is far behind KR, JP, HK, TW,... in term of network, but cannot expect something different. I was actually quite surprised to get 60M haha.

But it is coming ;)

Well, 1Gbps will be very nice and close to real world things, BUT ....... will it be reliable? Will it be constant? Or, as normal will it be variable and intermittent?

And will we have the usual silly excuse that we get thrown at us every few months "The Chinese have cut the undersea cable again down near Vung Tau, so you can only surf within Vietnam?"

Oh ts broken again, must be the Chinese...... Ad infinitum, ad nauseam

eodmatt :
dudumomo :
eodmatt :

I will do some testing and see - and it wasn't expat.com that blocked me it was viettel as I couldn't get anything to work on the internet unless I used a vpn. However once I had spoken to the viettel engineer my internet magically came back.

Thanks for the help!

Strange.... but I get it...

Well, Mr Vietnam, we have now 1GBPs connection.
Of course Vietnam is far behind KR, JP, HK, TW,... in term of network, but cannot expect something different. I was actually quite surprised to get 60M haha.

But it is coming ;)

Well, 1Gbps will be very nice and close to real world things, BUT ....... will it be reliable? Will it be constant? Or, as normal will it be variable and intermittent?

And will we have the usual silly excuse that we get thrown at us every few months "The Chinese have cut the undersea cable again down near Vung Tau, so you can only surf within Vietnam?"

Oh ts broken again, must be the Chinese...... Ad infinitum, ad nauseam

Who here has gigabit internet? I want some!

Anyone have information about fiber optic internet speed in Vietnam?
I am now in Nha Trang and do not have access to a fast Internet to check this(happy new year -all coworking is closed).

Viettel LTE - beta.speedtest.net give me 60Mbit+, but this is local speed.
When i try USA/Russian sites its terrible. Like a 0.3-0.5Mbit
For example with this link i have 0.5Mbit(ping 300ms) :
http://releases.ubuntu.com/16.04/ubuntu … -amd64.iso

Have a look at the news from time to time, like this one:

http://vietnamnews.vn/society/417144/in … -2017.html

In short, Internet speed abroad is highly unreliable since the undersea cables that connect VN to the rest of the world are regularly down. During these harsh times, it's possible that some ISP are more impacted than others, so you can try to ask around you if you know people who have other ISP.

I recently moved into a house where FPT is still in use, i just took over from the previous person. Running a 20MB line though i find it quite unreliable. It works but often fluctuates. Locally i get 20mb down, thought the upload is terrible (around 3mb). Internationally i ping the uk at 300ms with a download speed of around 2.5mb. For a 270k package im now considering changing provider, but at a loss as to knowing if its worth the hassle, and who would be better for my needs. In general i’m a moderate user, primarily streaming movies and tv shows, facetiming families back home, gaming and also rely on my cloud storage facilities.

Living here 3.5 years now I have somewhat become accustomed to all the internet woes In Vietnam. Though since being here one thing thats really bugging me is  I’ve had a terrible time in particular with Apple services, specifically with icloud. I enjoy making movies on my ipad, but due to lack of local storage i have over 700 clips backed up. It takes forever to download/buffer the clips so making movies nowadays has become a bit of a nightmare. My guess after reading through this article is it’s probably due to my low speed connectivity to international sites, though facetime to the UK is relatively crystal clear). Had this issue since I came here, both in my appartment before and now in my new house. Also sites like BBC seem forever blocked, and other sites like twitter and mega seeming very flaky with timeouts (guessing ISP related)?

Anyway to cut a long story short. If anyone can give me some up to date recommendations, preferably based in Da Nang, that would be awesome :) I gathered its between the 3 stooges (FPT, Viettel, and VNPT), but so far FPT has sucked. Plus the router is terrible, definitely need to invest in a Netgear or Linksys to setup the bypass.

For the ISP, the recommendation I usually hear is Viettel, then FPT, in this order. But it's mostly people repeating what they heard, so don't sweat it. Ultimately, the only reliable way to know if another ISP works better is to try it.

A tip for the hardware: buy a cable, then do some speedtest with Wi-Fi and the cable, and compare the results. I was stuck to 20 Mbps in upload with the Wi-Fi, but I could reach 60 Mbps with the cable (which is the limit of my package). So if you need blazing fast Wi-Fi, get yourself a decent Wi-Fi AP device, connected to your router with a cable. Of course, that won't solve the sluggish Internet connectivity abroad.

And one more breakage for AAG: https://en.vietnamplus.vn/aag-cable-bre … 133004.vnp

Very sluggish internet here, with a FPT business subscription. Is anyone having better results with another ISP?