Secure place with nice climate with some proximity to other expats

We are a 60 y/o Florida couple interested in moving in the next year or two. Will be looking for a secure place with nice climate with some proximity to other expats. Probably not a permanent move, but who knows?

I'm surprised there aren't more/better resources for real estate searches. We will be coming to visit in advance, but for days, not weeks. Seems like this is an opportunity for some enterprising web dev.

Real estate here is not regulated.  I could call myself a realtor and be legal.  Best source is people who live here now.  We first came in 2010 doing the realtor thing and it was devastating,  Over 2/3 of the developments or communities we visited are no longer in existence.  I took pictures of the gates that were selling lots / acreages and I still have pictures of what some look like now.  Monet gone, no services.

Come and visit, and check out some areas...then return and do it again...and again.

Then once you have a idea where you think you would to live here, rent for a while, to be sure.

Very easy to buy...and very difficult to sell.

heySkippy wrote:

We are a 60 y/o Florida couple interested in moving in the next year or two. Will be looking for a secure place with nice climate with some proximity to other expats. Probably not a permanent move, but who knows?

I'm surprised there aren't more/better resources for real estate searches. We will be coming to visit in advance, but for days, not weeks. Seems like this is an opportunity for some enterprising web dev.

Google is your friend. There are LOTS of real estate sites for Costa Rica.
As to whether they are legit and good people, it's a "caveat emptor" situation: "let the buyer beware".

Terry n Viv is right, anyone can call themselves a realtor and many do.
That said, as long as you get a good attorney - NOT the buyer's attorney, but your OWN - the attorney should be able to help you get a legit title and so on.

Things to watch out for:
Driveway access (right of passage) to your land
Utilities - make SURE you can get water and electric at your place
If it's a house have it checked by someone to make sure there are no major problems
If it's land make sure there are no flooding or such problems

How to get a good attorney:
Check with other gringos and ask for recommendations online or if you know anyone in person here

But most importantly live here a while before buying.  You won't be in "Kansas any more" once you're here and so you need to find out how it really is to live here, not just vacation here.

Location! Location! Location!
Climates change by the mile. A climate at one location may be very very different from a location less than a mile away! Fog, wind, sun, rain - all can change from within a mile away!

So live in the area you like before you buy there. At least a month or so.

People say "live there for a year before buying". This is ideal yes, but not always possible/practical. Do what you can. Visit for a week or two at different times of the year, at the very least; but yes, the more time you can spend here before buying, the more sure you'll be about wanting to live here.

Hi HeySkippy,

Please note that i have created a new thread with your post on the Costa Rica forum for more visibility and interaction with the members.

Thanks,

Priscilla

HeySkippy.  It's a great idea that you want to consider living as an Expat in beautiful Costa Rica.  I am a resident and have been living here since 2002.  I also own and operate La Terraza Guest House B&B.  The reason I chose Grecia, Costa Rica is that the climate is similar to San Diego, CA and it is said to be the cleanest city in Central America.  The weather is very moderate, air condition not needed.  We have a large Expat community here.  A small part of what I do when guest visit is to invite local Expats to breakfast or lunch here on the compound so that my you can easily meet them and hear their stories and experiences living in Costa Rica.  There are several other community activities with larger crowds also we can direct you to.  ** I would suggest you rent and get a feel of Costa Rica before purchase.

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Avoid promotion of services in your posts please.

HeySkippy.. Grecia, San Ramon, Atenas and Palmares are nice towns to move in. If you ask me, I like Palmares the best, I live there. Not too much expat activity, but who cares, the living is great; nice weather, clean town, decent people. I will be happy to show you around, I am not a realtor, just being helpful.

Hi There
Most of us who rent for short periods lose the opportunity of having a tenant on a yearly contract IF the  apartment/house is occupied for just a short time ,thus hotel prices are considered and we MUST charge as all do, a little more for short stays  as a tourist would also have to pay  for a nice room or charming apartment .We have the overheads to pay for Washing  Sheets and towels .Labor for that and cleaning, plus  other costs , Owners pay for lights ,water, trash pickup, and WIFI INTERNET, etc...,and ..It depends on when you need a place and for how long?
I  rent lovely apartments and a rustic house on a 3 acre Heavenly property with VIEWS ,INTERNET, use of  washing machine etc.  Bus stop at our electric gate,,and Airport pick up for a little less than taxis charges. tours booked. and Car rentals delivered at no extra  Charge .
ALL this and only 20 mins from Airport ..email for costs and dates available .People stay at least a month of need to really tour CR,,,BUT ?
Cheers   
xxx
good service must also be considered..Let me know if interested ,,Many who are coming with the intention of maybe moving here do need more time  here.

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi,    are you interested in a brand new gated community for expats in Costa Rica.    Very reasonable prices,  brand new houses.  Perfect for retirees or those looking for second home.

Justin

Where is it Justin?

Hi ,   Please take a look at guariamoradaresidencias.com   This is targeted towards expats

Concepcion de San Rafael  de Heredia  10 min drive from HEREDIA or bus stop at the  electric gate  (15 minutes ) VIEWS and good INTERNET ... PM me or phone laptop been broken sorry ...
call xxx

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details via private messaging.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct