Working as an English Teacher in Mexico City

Hi everyone

I've been in Latin America for 3 months now and have finally found somewhere I would like to teach English: Mexico City

I have quite a few years within South East Asia & Australia teaching English, and have a teaching diploma aswell as a business degree.

Could anyone point me in the right direction about how to find work as I'm pretty clueless about how to approach it; is it a case of going to schools directly or through agencies... any advice would be great.

Hi K00z0h,

Welcome to :)

There are some articles about job in the living in Mexico guide, please feel free to have a look : … _work.html , you might find some useful guidelines on how to look for a job.

Priscilla  :cheers:

I don't think any of those articles mentioned getting a Visa that allows you to work ..... and how complicated it is.

IE .... get the job offer and go back to your home country and apply for the work Visa

What about those who don't have Mexican Embassy or consulate in there home countries?

Talk to an Immigration Office in Mexico

Getting a visa that allows you to work starts in your home through the nearest Mexican Consulate even if it's in another country.  Unless you have a job offer from a company that already has government approval to hire a foreigner, it will be very time consuming with no guarantee you'll succeed.

There has been an underground economy where non citizens can tutor or give private classes on a strictly cash basis.  Strictly illegal.  Do you want to risk something like that?

Questions and answers about the labor market

Ask your question
Crossing the border at San Ysidro with two computers?
By mfreetofly
Teaching Positions for 2017-2018 Mexico (Coastal)
By alycat926
Spanish Classes In S.L.P
By Iftykhar
Refrigeration mechanics Jobs in Mexico
By Igaal
Spanish classes and Accommodation in Cancun
By littlecoconut

Expatriate health insurance in Mexico

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Mexico

Moving to Mexico

Find tips from professionals about moving to Mexico

Travel insurance in Mexico