Verify US academic diplomas to get a job

Hi all!

My partner and I are planning on moving to Colombia after he finishes his PhD. He is Colombian and I am from the US. We met in New Zealand where we were both getting our PhDs. I am done and have taken a job at a university in Ohio doing biomedical research. I have bachelor's (from US), master's (from US), doctoral (from New Zealand), and post-doctoral (from US) diplomas. I am interested in trying to find a job in education or research. I am wondering if anyone knows whether I need to get my diplomas verified by the US government in order to be considered valid by Colombian employers. I can't find any specific information on this. Thank you all and am happy to be part of the website.

Best regards,

Gabrielle

Actually, some jobs (especially in the public sector, or education), require foreign diplomas to be "convalidated" (they're calling it convalidación) .

You may check the whole convalidación process here:
http://www.mineducacion.gov.co/1759/w3- … -3357.html

You'll see that the first step is to have your diplomas legalized or apostilled.

Thank you Steve Russo! I will have a look at that! It is good to start preparing now so I am not inundated with paperwork :).