Bringing my Venezuelan girlfriend to England to live.

Hello expats,

Need a favour on some advice on bringing my Venezuelan girlfriend to England to live with me.  Cut a long story short my girlfriend got turned down a tourist visa due to financial reasons so she went to Barcelona to stay with her sister for 3 Months where I have been frequently visiting her. Her sister has lived in Barcelona for 4 years and has now become a Spanish Citizen.  My girlfriend is coming to the end of her 3 Month stay in Barcelona and will be going back to Venezuela soon.  I want to know how I can bring her to England? I will be popping the question before she goes back too.    Would it be easier if we married abroad? Possibly in Spain due to the horrible circumstances currently in Venezuela.

Karl

Hi Karl,

I would 100% recommend that you try to marry abroad, in Spain if that's possible. I also have several Venezuelan friends, particularly an expat family who are currently living in Malaysia and they absolutely do not want to go back to Venezuela unless massive changes occur in the politico-economic situation. And even then, I think they are enjoying life as expats working and living in foreign countries too much.

I agree with you that you should explore all possibilities to marry and settle in the UK or Europe and put your girlfriend and your future together as a priority. If she is the one, then do everything you can to prevent her from heading back to Venezuela.

The UK is not an easy place to bring a partner whether married or not, unless he/she happens to be from an EU country. I believe the British Home Office has got some major fundamental policy problems when it comes to how they deal with British citizens with foreign partners and children. It's quite shameful really.

Regards,
Hansson

Karl

How is your money situation? Could you not support her financially?

But as Hansson says, it would be better to get married abroad. If you are not a native you will have to go to the Embassy and see what documentations you need, in some countries it can be a bit of a pain. But as she is in Spain now, I think that would be the better option.

British Embassy in Spain
https://www.gov.uk/government/world/org … ssy-madrid

Hi Karl,

I helped a client with the exact same situation (I do immigration law). PM me exactly what you want to do and I will try help with some advice.

I am and have been supporting her financially for everything, it's that when she applied for her tourist visa for a two week stay she got declined because the UK immigration thought she was coming her to disappear basically.   I wasn't mentioned because apparently it was more paperwork.  Now that we're engaged I would like to try the tourist visa again but this time telling the UK immigration that I will be supporting her financially and be a sponsor so to speak.  Hopefully then she will get the pass.  That is my next plan of action.

Thank you all for the much needed advice

In my experience the UK authorities prefer it if you marry in Venezuela, your girlfriends home country. She would then apply for a spousal visa from there. Marrying within the EU may complicate things with regard to obtaining a visa.

I married a Kenyan lady and made the error of marrying in the UK. The Home Office sat on the visa application for over 4 years.

In the meantime, I think it would be difficult for her to get another visitors visa and in fact making another application might affect a subsequent spousal visa application.

Ok thanks for the advice, 4 years waiting for the decision that's crazy.  With the UK now out of the EU I believe it will take even longer get with all the influx of marriages and visa applications.  I k is its going to be difficult but nothing's impossible.

Hello,
My name is Vanessa and I am going to the UK to work as a nurse from the US. I have a 22 year old son, newly released US veteran, whose great grandparents were born in Ireland; I did not marry his Irish American father. I have a two part question:
1) is it possible for him to become an Irish citizen?
2) is there a way for him to live with me in the UK....he depends on me and has been quite shaken by his military experience.
Escaping the US has been a Dream of mine for years and I can't imagine leaving him behind here.... especially as a man of colour.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Karlos, I don't think it was anything to do with how busy they were! The comment that we got was that we should have married in my wife's home country and applied from there.  When we married, it was possible to make the visa application from within the UK. Since then things are slightly different and spouses must make a visa application from their home countries.

It's not unusual to see Kenyan newlyweds having to be left behind by their British spouses, as their visas have expired and the spousal visa hasn't been issued yet.

Hello,
My name is Vanessa and I am going to the UK to work as a nurse from the US. I have a 22 year old son, newly released US veteran, whose great grandparents were born in Ireland; I did not marry his Irish American father. I have a two part question:
1) is it possible for him to become an Irish citizen?
2) is there a way for him to live with me in the UK....he depends on me and has been quite shaken by his military experience.
Escaping the US has been a Dream of mine for years and I can't imagine leaving him behind here.... especially as a man of colour.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Karlos87 wrote:

With the UK now out of the EU I believe it will take even longer get with all the influx of marriages and visa applications.  I k is its going to be difficult but nothing's impossible.

The UK has not left the EU yet. It will take 2 years or long from Article 50 being triggered.

Vanessa, generally speaking anyone over 18 yrs old would make an independent visa application based on their own circumstances.  Your son should be able to enter the UK for 6 months without a visa, providing that he isn't working.  He would need a visa to live here and part of the application process would be for him to evidence that he has sufficient funds to live on.

I'm an Aussie who lived in USA for 15 years and so understand your wanting to leave US as much, if not more than us if your a person of color?   We have now been living in UK since Feb, 2015 and living it so much more than we ever did in USA.  So I do hope you can do so soon too!

We like your son should also be eligible to do too; we obtained a Ancestral Visa through "Proof" that my Grandmother was born in London.   This then gave my hubby these same Visa rights too!   Our Visas; They are valid through until 2020 and then easily renewable every 5 years until we decide to become a UK Citizen to which as a Aussie; we can choose to hold a Dual Citizenship.   So if your son can provoke he has or had a Grandparent living in UK plus proof that he can support himself for 5 years financially he should be good!  Because my grandmother was born in UK, this Visa gave us rights to live and Work anywhere within UK only; not EU until 2020 and then the new Visa will give us the right to live and work anywhere throughout EU.  However, this may now change with UK voting to leave EU?   
Another thing to remember; with a Ancestral Visa it's stamped - No Recourse to receive any Government Support.   Not until 2020. 
However, you are given entitlements to use the UK Healthcare service. 

So this will all help your son; what about you?   How do you plan to get your own UK Visa and where did you plan to settle?

Wishing you luck in your endeavors.

<We like your son should also be eligible to do too; we obtained a Ancestral Visa through "Proof" that my Grandmother was born in London>

Aussie Dreamer, we are talking about great grandparents here and I think that that relationship is too distant for an ancestral visa, unfortunately.

Sorry Granparents ain't eligible.  Yes too distant.
Parent or Grandparent only.  Sorry for I hadn't yet had coffee to read your post properly. 
But if his dad was born in Ireland; you could start there and hope in 5 years the Brexit will let you guys relocate over to UK.  I'd check as UK currently has a Treaty deal with Ireland and so no proof of passport / Visa is required crossing by ferry.  We did it ourself and no one checked on entry back into UK.  Upon enquiry they said when you travel you still need to carry them incase your stopped and then proof is needed.  What Visa have you got for yourself?

Thank you so much for your response. I will look into it.