One way ticket to Vietnam from Canada?

Hi I would like to know does anyone knows if we can travel to Vietnam with a one way ticket from Canada??

Thanks

It seems to be more a matter of airline policy than law.  A lot of airlines will not let you go on a 90 day visa unless you buy a round-trip (US terminology) or have some other demonstrable exit method such as a ticket to Manila on another airline.  I think where the law comes in is that if you overstay and are caught, the airline may be obligated to fly you home free.

I had been to Vietnam before, but when I went to stay (on a 90 day) I bought a round trip on Philippine Airlines because it was still cheaper than a one-way on any airline that was willing to sell me one.  I think the return ticket expired after a year. 

I see that you are a Viet Kieu expat.  Do you still hold your VN passport?  If you do then no problem.  If not you should get a VEC and then you may be able to buy a true one-way ticket.  Since you are in Ottawa, you should be able to walk in and get one on relatively short order at the Vietnamese Embassy.

I might add that in Hawaii buying tickets from VK travel agents is always a better deal than you can find online.  I think this is because they buy blocks from airlines, particularly China Airlines.  You could perhaps find the same in Ottawa.  They probably can get the VEC for you too for a small fee.

Thank you!!!

I regularly travel back and forth between Canada and Vietnam. Because I don't know how long I'm staying in Vietnam I usually buy 1 way ticket. I travel only EVA airline and a VEC holder.

Never had any issues or been asked about my ticket.

I second VK travel agents getting cheaper prices. I usually buy online because I have reward points and get huge reward points on top of it too. I also search the net a lot for the cheapest price. I was surprised how the VK agents could get a cheaper price.

khanh44 wrote:

I second VK travel agents getting cheaper prices. I usually buy online because I have reward points and get huge reward points on top of it too. I also search the net a lot for the cheapest price. I was surprised how the VK agents could get a cheaper price.

I would guess it may be because they are able to buy only one itinerary in their bulk purchasing.  Whether HNL>SGN or VYR>SGN, YYZ>SGN, or YOW>SGN,  at each location they only need to focus on one route.

the VK agent I went to also put a fake return trip on my iternary. So I think not having return ticket has caused some problems for others.

THIGV.... Where in Hawaii did you find those travel agents? Mahalo

Chinatown, Honolulu.  Doubtful that there are any VK agents on the Big Island.  Look for the intersection of N.King St and River St on Google Maps and walk along King St going East.  There are several.  Look for the cutouts of China Airlines hostesses.  They can handle your visa as well.