Absolutely Anything Else

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I have a off topic if there is even a topic on this page.
Does anyone know the number or how to contact the Fire Safety Officer for Budapest?
Just wondering because a new neighbor is blocking the common stairway and only fire escape with her parked bicycle.
She has chained it to the railing but on the inside of the stairway.
been doing this now for a good  month and it is really getting on my last nerve.
All fun and games until something happens, besides one can easily trip over it.
There is plenty of room , covered area where she could park it.

When I lived in an apartment building one of the neighbours put cupboards on the stairwell. I told him to remove them (he spoke English) as I said it was an obstruction and an evacuation risk.  We eventually agreed we would allow some plants but he moved the cupboards really quickly - within hours of my complaint.  Some people took that to mean trees so unfortunately that meant those plants got a bashing from shopping bags.  Well, tough luck!

Mrs Fluffy says the Catastrophe Ministry (or whatever it's called) is responsible for some parts of fire safety - some unit of that inspected our chimney.   But I expect calling the local fire station would be a good start or perhaps the town hall.  Or leave her a note on her bike or better, tell the hausmeister to sort it out before getting the big guns involved.  You could use Google Translate to write a note and stick on her bike if hubby not engaged.

One thing I know from here is that quite a lot of people have problems seeing the likely consequences of their actions.  For example, they don't see any risk in say climbing on a roof without safety harnesses or ropes.  It's almost like they are unable weigh up potential outcomes and have no forward thinking.  This seems to happen all the time. I looked into it a bit and kids are an exception - they tend to be impulsive as that part of the brain is not as developed. I spend quite a lot of time trying to explain to people that "if you do this, that might happen" and to search for alternatives and weigh up the best option. 

Many people seem baffled by this approach but when it's explained, they seem to get it - at least on a transactional basis - but then are unable to apply to later situations.

So your bike girl is probably just unthinking and a bit ignorant.

Thanks, too bad it's all in Hungarian but maybe I will talk my husband into writing to let her know she is blocking the only fire escape with her bike.
I already made up  a note in English but it would be better if it was in Hungarian.
Don't want to make a enemy in the building but really what's wrong with some people?
If all else fails, i may just walk into the nearest fire house and see if anyone speaks English.
I am sort of sure the assistant manager in the house wouldn't really enjoy the fire officer looking around the building, something is going on in the cellar we think but better if we don't know about it I suppose...
Hungary what a place!
I usually don't care much about stuff but when something really bugs me, I am like a dog with a bone, won't let it go easily.
Just the thought of a fire at night with the lights going off and everyone including the upstairs elderly and children running down all at once with that thing blocking the way makes my skin crawl.
Guess some people just don't think or worst they just don't care.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Thanks, too bad it's all in Hungarian but maybe I will talk my husband into writing to let her know she is blocking the only fire escape with her bike.
I already made up  a note in English but it would be better if it was in Hungarian.
Don't want to make a enemy in the building but really what's wrong with some people?
If all else fails, i may just walk into the nearest fire house and see if anyone speaks English.
I am sort of sure the assistant manager in the house wouldn't really enjoy the fire officer looking around the building, something is going on in the cellar we think but better if we don't know about it I suppose...
Hungary what a place!
I usually don't care much about stuff but when something really bugs me, I am like a dog with a bone, won't let it go easily.
Just the thought of a fire at night with the lights going off and everyone including the upstairs elderly and children running down all at once with that thing blocking the way makes my skin crawl.
Guess some people just don't think or worst they just don't care.

I use Google Chrome and its translate everything into English.

SimCityAT wrote:

Google's translations of Hungarian into English is at times comical.  :lol:

It is getting better.

But, at times..... still comical.  ;)

klsallee wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

It is getting better.

It has its moment with German too. As For Facebook that has me is stitches a lot of the time.

SimCityAT wrote:
klsallee wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

It is getting better.

It has its moment with German too. As For Facebook that has me is stitches a lot of the time.

People have been known to use Google Translate to create rap songs. They use the ridiculous translations via sampled spoken voices -  some of the voices are quite musical when messing stuff up - especially the Japanese ones.  There are numerous examples on Youtube (my kids showed me this stuff).  Here's one: Japanese Hot Dog

I've got a Sat Nav for which is sometimes hilarious.  We can chose Hungarian as a spoken language but with English pronunciation.  Our kids find it very amusing because it's very mangled.  It's also quite amusing the other way around too.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
klsallee wrote:

It is getting better.

People have been known to use Google Translate to create rap songs. They use the ridiculous translations via sampled spoken voices -  some of the voices are quite musical when messing stuff up - especially the Japanese ones.  There are numerous examples on Youtube (my kids showed me this stuff).  Here's one: Japanese Hot Dog

I've got a Sat Nav for which is sometimes hilarious.  We can chose Hungarian as a spoken language but with English pronunciation.  Our kids find it very amusing because it's very mangled.  It's also quite amusing the other way around too.

Sorry to say, Rap is Cr*p! to my ears.
Just finished hours of listening to old time Who classics... Give me a break the Who vs Lil Wayne... No contest!!
Ok, so I finally got my husband to write a polite yet to the point message to the self absorbed clueless bike rider who is using the common fire /only walkway out as a parking lot for her funky trashy old bike.(  maybe we should give her $50. it move it since it isn't worth more then that.. No not going all extortion)
Just have to get him to place it downstairs, next move will be to contact the real manager of the house then.. Well anything goes in my mind.
My husband says I am turning into a nasty old lady and I tell him he has forgotten I was a White Sashed  Safety Patrol Officer  in childhood and a Patrol leader  in the Girl Scouts, I took an oath to stand up for others and to follow all safety rules and regulations... Such a Nerd at heart I am!
No seriously people over step these days , like no one taught them right from wrong, just so odd.
Totally a Me first attitude without a clue about anyone else's rights.
Someone needs a A** whopping!
My husband mentioned he dislikes any sort of confrontation while I said sorry , if someone has it coming their getting it.
Maybe we Americans are a bit too forward after all but I am 100% sure at least 75% or more in the house would love it if the walkway was clear.Just too afraid to speak up for some reason.
If all else fails, I'm going to buy myself a tricycle and park it on the stairway, why not then?
I know, I am odd but so what?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My husband mentioned he dislikes any sort of confrontation

"Evil prospers when good men do nothing."

~ John Philpot Curran or Edmund Burke

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

while I said sorry , if someone has it coming their getting it.

It has been my experience that a surprising number of "good men" in the world, that is those who actually take charge and act on an injustice, are actually women.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I spend quite a lot of time trying to explain to people that "if you do this, that might happen" and to search for alternatives and weigh up the best option. 

Many people seem baffled by this approach but when it's explained, they seem to get it - at least on a transactional basis - but then are unable to apply to later situations.

Good to know I am not the only one who had this experience here, and came to this conclusion.

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My husband mentioned he dislikes any sort of confrontation

"Evil prospers when good men do nothing."

~ John Philpot Curran or Edmund Burke

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

while I said sorry , if someone has it coming their getting it.

It has been my experience that a surprising number of "good men" in the world, that is those who actually take charge and act on an injustice, are actually women.

I'm musing over that suddenly in order not to delay going somewhere I'm not interested in going. 

That quote, might be a non-sequitur as there's no logical connection.

If you do nothing, are you in fact a good person? 

In the face of evil, then no, you're not good if you do nothing, you're either evil as well or indifferent (which is perhaps, moderately evil too).  If you were good, then you'd be doing something about it.

Not quite the same ring to it though....err....:

"Evil progresses if no-one does anything to stop it"

Hmmmm.....who can we ask?  The Donald? Vlad? OV?

Here is a question for you all,
i am currently a volunteer firefighter here in Australia can i do the same thing in Hungary

petromaya wrote:

i am currently a volunteer firefighter here in Australia can i do the same thing in Hungary

Some 7000 firemen are serving in Hungary at fire brigade units founded by Ödön Széchenyi. Most of them are professional municipal firemen who are paid from month to month for their services. They generally work at 24/48-hour shifts, occasionally at 24/72. The second largest number of firemen can be found in the volunteer fire brigades. In Hungary volunteer, fire brigades are common organisations established by a local government and a firemen's association.

This sounds very much the same as Austria, and I know of Expats that volunteer for their local  Fire Brigade. As you have the experience I can imagine your help would be much appreciated. Once here you would have to get in touch with your local brigade.

Actually my husband started to write up a polite but direct note in Hungarian without telling me after he saw my simple note in English.
He even got online to look at any general house rules for Hungary.
Seems every building has their own set of rules and there needs to be a vote on any changes.
I told him it is nothing really to do with other bikes parked all over the common areas but this one bike that is blocking access to the stairs. Anyone who needs to use the railing can't grab it without running into the tires of the bike, someone could trip, fall or in case of fire get caught up in the bike and get trampled as people run down the stairs.
Hard to believe a grown adult women couldn't figure that out on her own. Simple solution is to just buy a longer chain and park near the other bikes behind the staircase.
I hope today he finishes his note and places it near the bike on the railing for everyone to see.
He is typical of his sex or perhaps just very Hungarian, hates to let me know when I am right.
hates to be pushed into doing anything uncomfortable.
Guess that's the difference between we Americans and some others, we will jump into the fire and worry about getting burned later.So to speak.
If the note doesn't work he will call up the house manager and let him deal with it, he gets paid a 100,000 forints a month just on our house alone, he manages several buildings.
He can do something for his pay.
On his reading of rules in Hungary he said some large buildings do not have to give cellar space to anyone, some have a small area for bikes and baby strollers to be parked but only a few select people have the keys and the space is too small for everyone to use.
Some buildings are owned by the manager and they have the right to make up any rules they want about the yard space. Some rent to businesses and those in the house have no access at all to the yard in their buildings.
Seems one must really look hard into house rules if they plan on buying in Hungary.
Might fall in love with a place and later find out the things you liked can't be used by you after all.When we bought our apt. we were told we shared the best cellar space with our next door neighbor.
He sometimes acts like the assistant manager and other times he is not willing to get involved.
He had some troubles in the past in the house, beat up several people at various times and was given a stiff fine, it was in the papers.
I personally saw him and his son sitting on 2 Gypsy men the very day we moved in, another time we saw him put his hands around the neck of one of my husband's old friends from 50 years back. Seems they had a "thing" going on, very odd since our old friend lives in another district, guess Budapest isn't so large after all.
Also the police once knocked on our door at night by mistake, wanted his apt. We didn't answer the door but heard what was going on. Seems he had beat up a women in the house and her boyfriend and they wanted to give him a ticket to appear in court.
We really aren't into crossing this guy!
We are suppose to be sharing the big cellar space , the only space that has 2 locked doors and is very secure.
Well, we never put anything in there as of yet because of the dampness.
We asked about our space a few months back, wanted to temp. put some junk in there. We don't go down there but something is up.
Maybe since we noticed granny going down there several times a day in the past months and since we saw the man going down there with bags etc. We think perhaps someone is down there... hiding? Who knows we don't want to find out....
Hungary is the wild west at times. Not all rules apply for everyone.
It's odd because never in my life have I ever experienced anything like what we have over here.

SimCityAT wrote:
petromaya wrote:

Some 7000 firemen are serving in Hungary at fire brigade units founded by Ödön Széchenyi. Most of them are professional municipal firemen who are paid from month to month for their services. They generally work at 24/48-hour shifts, occasionally at 24/72. The second largest number of firemen can be found in the volunteer fire brigades. In Hungary volunteer, fire brigades are common organisations established by a local government and a firemen's association.

This sounds very much the same as Austria, and I know of Expats that volunteer for their local  Fire Brigade. As you have the experience I can imagine your help would be much appreciated. Once here you would have to get in touch with your local brigade.

I always thought only the cities had full time firemen but I might be mixing that up with Austria.   

It might not always be possible to volunteer. My village doesn't have fire station (that I've seen).  Probably because we're so close to Budapest.  Nearest (and large) fire station in Budapest is only about 3km away. 

One thing I noticed in Austria is that the firemen always had excellent equipment - very modern and looks well maintained.  The professionals from Budapest have decent stuff but out in the sticks here (HU), I think less so.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
petromaya wrote:

I always thought only the cities had full time firemen but I might be mixing that up with Austria.   

It might not always be possible to volunteer. My village doesn't have fire station (that I've seen).  Probably because we're so close to Budapest.  Nearest (and large) fire station in Budapest is only about 3km away. 

One thing I noticed in Austria is that the firemen always had excellent equipment - very modern and looks well maintained.  The professionals from Budapest have decent stuff but out in the sticks here (HU), I think less so.

Just looking it up, most of Europe have voluntarily fire fighters.

You are correct the machinery used in Austria are new and up to date. The money used to buy them all done by fundraising. Even the running coasts of the fire houses are from donations etc...

Every Saturday at 12 noon we have the sirens being tested because that's how the volunteers are summoned when there is an emergency.

Even our small village's have a firehouse even close to a major town.
Something that you would not see in the UK.

SimCityAT wrote:

Just looking it up, most of Europe have voluntarily fire fighters.

You are correct the machinery used in Austria are new and up to date. The money used to buy them all done by fundraising. Even the running coasts of the fire houses are from donations etc...

Every Saturday at 12 noon we have the sirens being tested because that's how the volunteers are summoned when there is an emergency.

Even our small village's have a firehouse even close to a major town.
Something that you would not see in the UK.

I remember that siren thing when I lived in Austria.  I thought it was a bit unnecessary what with mobile phones.   More modern incarnations of the church bell.

You are right, I remember every village in Austria having a fire brigade but cities have permanent fire and rescue (perhaps more accurate description).  In Austria, I always took it as being somewhat a vehicle for keeping cohesiveness of village life but I suspect partially it's existence is also cost issue. 

Interestingly parallel (not too relevant for land locked countries) are the lifeboats elsewhere - not funded by government and all volunteers.

One thing we seem to have here are the civil defence people (here:  Városi Polgárőrség or Town Civil Guard maybe?).  Don't recall experiencing that in other countries apart from Special Constables ("hobby bobbies") in the UK.  Don't know about Austria.

Austria and Hungary don't have volunteer military units as far as I know - obviously the US and UK do.

fluffy2560 wrote:

In the face of evil, then no, you're not good if you do nothing, you're either evil as well or indifferent (which is perhaps, moderately evil too).  If you were good, then you'd be doing something about it.

Someone comes into a school with a gun and starts shooting. The students hide under their desks. If they do not charge the gunman, are they evil or indifferent? No, they are just victims. Very frighted victims in a bad place of evil. That is, not everyone who does "nothing" in the face of evil is either indifferent nor evil. Unless one likes to blame victims.

Ergo, you are making an extreme, overall judgment of a person for all the wrong reasons and that is not even close to the point of the quote. Thus, one act, of omission for example, does not make a person bad. But one act of omission (for a variety of reasons -- including terrified fear in my above example), can indeed perpetuate bad. Thus, seems any thinking person understands what the quote means.

As Martin Luther King Jr pretty much discussed in his Letter From Birmingham Jail. Moderates did not "do bad", nor where they "bad" people, but suggesting waiting for a “more convenient season” allowed the evils of segregation and unequal rights to prosper.

Thus, I don't see the problem you seem to be having or calling the quote a non-sequitor, other than you are over analyzing the semantics.

petromaya wrote:

That's very generous of you but I wonder if you speak Hungarian fluently or if that would be needed in an emergency situation?
If so, there could be other volunteer work out there for you.
Just a thought, my auntie was one of the very first phone operators in the early days, 1940's through her retirement years in the 1970's before they were called 911 dispatchers.
She actually helped train some for the newly titled 911 operators.
She worked the switchboard in a small town in Conn. for both the fire and police depts.
One week night shift the next week day shift.
Took the job very seriously , only took a break when she had her babies for a short time but always went back to the same job in her town.
I even did a ride with her when I was 19 with one of her co workers on their night off.
We went around behind the fire trucks and watched them work from afar, met the captain and some of the fire crew, it was sort of fun.
Sad thing was once she received a call from a man who had very broken English and couldn't pronounce the name of the st where there was a large fire at a house.
My aunt even had others at the station try to understand what he was saying.
Sadly there were two streets with almost the same sounding names and the fire truck went over to the wrong street.
A person died in that fire. My aunt always felt just horrible about that case.
I know now days they have GPS etc. but still being able to listen and react fast is important and a few mistaken words could lead to trouble.
My old childhood friend 's father was the engineer for a LA county fire truck.
What a rush that must of been to drive that around to a fire.
Her grandson is now a LA county fire fighter .
Funny thing was as a child her son burnt down the upper floor of her house by playing with matches. Seems fire fighting skills had skipped a generation.
She was cool about it since no one got hurt, she said she had planned to remodel anyways.

Ah like the TA?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
petromaya wrote:

That's very generous of you but I wonder if you speak Hungarian fluently or if that would be needed in an emergency situation?
If so, there could be other volunteer work out there for you.
Just a thought, my auntie was one of the very first phone operators in the early days, 1940's through her retirement years in the 1970's before they were called 911 dispatchers.
She actually helped train some for the newly titled 911 operators.
She worked the switchboard in a small town in Conn. for both the fire and police depts.
One week night shift the next week day shift.
Took the job very seriously , only took a break when she had her babies for a short time but always went back to the same job in her town.
I even did a ride with her when I was 19 with one of her co workers on their night off.
We went around behind the fire trucks and watched them work from afar, met the captain and some of the fire crew, it was sort of fun.
Sad thing was once she received a call from a man who had very broken English and couldn't pronounce the name of the st where there was a large fire at a house.
My aunt even had others at the station try to understand what he was saying.
Sadly there were two streets with almost the same sounding names and the fire truck went over to the wrong street.
A person died in that fire. My aunt always felt just horrible about that case.
I know now days they have GPS etc. but still being able to listen and react fast is important and a few mistaken words could lead to trouble.
My old childhood friend 's father was the engineer for a LA county fire truck.
What a rush that must of been to drive that around to a fire.
Her grandson is now a LA county fire fighter .
Funny thing was as a child her son burnt down the upper floor of her house by playing with matches. Seems fire fighting skills had skipped a generation.
She was cool about it since no one got hurt, she said she had planned to remodel anyways.

I was going to say that, you would need to be fluent in Hungarian because even if fellow fighters do speak a bit of English, I'm guessing there would be no time to explain in an emergency.

Being able to respond correctly is important in any country.
One reason I have sort of given up learning Hungarian.
I know I'll probably never be fluent in it and will just get myself into more trouble knowing bits and pieces of the language.Know just enough to be left alone I suppose.
A friend in the US , a really generous nice guy had a huge problem because his English was bad.
It's a rather tragic tale. He lived in Colorado and was walking home from work carrying a 6 pack of beer.
Two punk guys, won't mention their race but defo they weren't from Europe, went up to him and asked for a beer each.
He didn't know what they were saying so he just kept on walking away.
They grabbed his bottles, broke one and cut him so badly in the face that he lost an eye.
Had the biggest blue eyes too...
Too bad he didn't know just a tiny bit of English because he could of said he couldn't speak English. He probably would of just given them the entire 6 pack because he was that nice of a guy.Just a shame.

Still, on the topic of the Firefighting service in Hungary, I came across this PDF file (and in English) a very interesting read

http://tuzoltoszovetseg.hu/letoltes/document/145-145-ev-toretlenul-mtsz-jubileumi-kiadvany-%E2%80%93-angol-nyelvu.pdf

I am not sure of this LINKbut from what I see it lists voluntary Fire Brigades.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Someone comes into a school with a gun and starts shooting. The students hide under their desks. If they do not charge the gunman, are they evil or indifferent? No, they are just victims. Very frighted victims in a bad place of evil. That is, not everyone who does "nothing" in the face of evil is either indifferent nor evil. Unless one likes to blame victims.

Ergo, you are making an extreme, overall judgment of a person for all the wrong reasons and that is not even close to the point of the quote. Thus, one act, of omission for example, does not make a person bad. But one act of omission (for a variety of reasons -- including terrified fear in my above example), can indeed perpetuate bad. Thus, seems any thinking person understands what the quote means.

As Martin Luther King Jr pretty much discussed in his Letter From Birmingham Jail. Moderates did not "do bad", nor where they "bad" people, but suggesting waiting for a “more convenient season” allowed the evils of segregation and unequal rights to prosper.

Thus, I don't see the problem you seem to be having or calling the quote a non-sequitor, other than you are over analyzing the semantics.

Not really doing anything other than musing.....obviously I understand the spirit of the quote.  Anyone would understand it.  But I think there's more to it. 

The school analogy could also apply to the Holocaust or the Rohyinga which as far as the logic of the quote goes. Clearly there are victims and no-one would deny their suffering but they are not part of the absolute logic of the quote.   Presumably the Burmese and others think they have a righteous cause.   

So what is evil anyway? And what is good? And should evil exist as a pre-requisite before action?  Not entirely sure about that last question.   

My point is that it's not a logical statement as good and evil are subjective.   I like the sentiment of the quote but I had doubts about it suddenly and therefore thought more about it.

I think maybe it could say something more:

Within the norms of a civil and just society of humankind, a version of evil will progress....

or....with more dullness and less emotion....

For people who are intent on doing divisive things, someone needs to step up and challenge them....

fluffy2560 wrote:

Not really doing anything other than musing.....

Ah. Got it. I over reacted. Mea culpa.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Actually my husband started to write up a polite but direct note in Hungarian without telling me after he saw my simple note in English.
Seems every building has their own set of rules and there needs to be a vote on any changes.

My wife, who knows a lot about this, was away till today.

So I asked her.

She said, yes, there are "house rules" but there are "higher" regulations, especially about fire exits and other fire related issues (such as fire extinguishers) that override all such "house rules". What your neighbor is doing is illegal. Period. And if your neighbor does not move the bike, your house manager should be told as they can get heavily fined if an inspector comes by and sees this situation.

Hows the weather with you today?

https://static.vecteezy.com/system/resources/previews/000/066/561/non_2x/vector-sun-rain-clouds.jpg

I just had to move an old fridge from our Garden house to the house as the house Fridge/freezer needs defrosting. Dear god, with 35°C outside I wish I was back in the UK. Hang on, I retract they have just had a heat wave.

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My wife, who knows a lot about this, was away till today.

So I asked her.

She said, yes, there are "house rules" but there are "higher" regulations, especially about fire exits and other fire related issues (such as fire extinguishers) that override all such "house rules". What your neighbor is doing is illegal. Period. And if your neighbor does not move the bike, your house manager should be told as they can get heavily fined if an inspector comes by and sees this situation.

Thanks, exactly what I was thinking.
The manager and house wouldn't like a fire inspection I do not think.
For 2 days it's been "half way" ( half As**D if you ask  me) parked half way on the bottom and half on the stairs.
I bugged the heck out of my husband yesterday, today gave him a slight break, but this weekend the note is going out or else.
No one takes matters that really do matter as very important around here.
My sisters old boyfriend's law firm in Encino, Ca. handled many clients that sued the MGM hotel in Vegas when they had that huge fire back in 1980.

A few choice clients like that really helped the law firm get their foot in the door for bigger cases.
I do not care to ever be part of a class action law suit.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Not really doing anything other than musing.....

Ah. Got it. I over reacted. Mea culpa.

Wasn't trying to piss anyone off.   Just chewin' the fat.  Idlin' in the sun.

SimCityAT wrote:

Hows the weather with you today?

[img align=C]https://static.vecteezy.com/system/resources/previews/000/066/561/non_2x/vector-sun-rain-clouds.jpg[/url]

I just had to move an old fridge from our Garden house to the house as the house Fridge/freezer needs defrosting. Dear god, with 35°C outside I wish I was back in the UK. Hang on, I retract they have just had a heat wave.

No airco?   I think the UK is bone dry with some water rationing currently but hereabouts, it's hot but they never seem to run out of water.  I guess that great big river flowing through the middle and the aquifers helps. 

I always thought water would end up being a major strategic quantity in the UK.  I am sure they'll need desalination plants soon there.  I heard on the radio, there's likely to be a massive upswing in migration when the UK leaves the EU next year.  Why?  I dunno, I didn't catch that bit!  Here, I think the population will decline so more water for those left.

I just came back from an excursion (Mrs Fluffy, the Fluffyettes and 3 friends) to Aquaworld the water park in the north of Budapest. It was very hot, sweaty and heaving with 45 minute queues to get in.  Surprising for a weekday although it is a Friday.

You can't get toothpicks in the UK. You can get them everywhere in Hungary, but you can't get them in th UK. YOu can get cocktail sticks etc, but they are not the same.

It is not as if either the Hungarians or the British have exceptionally good teeth. Hungary has exceptionally good dentists, but then, perhaps they recommend toothpicks, I dunno.

Dentist: A magician who puts metal in your mouth and pulls coins out of your pocket. (Bierce, of course)

Actually that is one of those cultural differences. In a Hungarian restaurant from the lowest to the highest you will usually get toothpicks on the table. In the uK and I think in the US and canada never. I am not sure what the etiquette would be for picking your teeth at the table, but it is just one of those differences. For myself I would ask for a glass of water to stick my steradent tablet into.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

really helped the law firm get their foot in the door for bigger cases.
I do not care to ever be part of a class action law suit.

For best results, prop open a fire door with a fire extinguisher.

It is a bit ridiculous, at least in the UK, that we have "Fire Door"s that you must keep closeed (to prevent the spread of smoke and fire, or rather slow it down) and "Fire Exit"s that you must not lock (they can be closed but must be able to be opened from the inside without the need of a key etc). The two devices are perfectly sound, but then CALL THEM OBVIOUSLY DIFFERENT THINGS, a "Fire Door" and a "Fire Exit" are not obviously different things. Call it a "Smoke Door" or something. Obviously it has to be brief, but the two are so easily confused that it is no wonder people lock fire exits and keep fire doors open.

I have had a large house fire many years ago, and my relatives this year in Hungary had their whole house burned down in a fire. It is not some theoretical argument. Fires are nasty things.

SimonTrew wrote:

... my relatives this year in Hungary had their whole house burned down in a fire. It is not some theoretical argument. Fires are nasty things.

I hope they had insurance.  There were a more than a couple of fires nearby and I think one of them had insurance (it was an insurance job probably) and another didn't.   Seems like false economy to decide it's a waste of money.

Incidentally, worth having impact by flying objects insurance.  We passed an aircraft accident at Farkashegy Airfield (aka Budakeszi International).  Looks like an autogyro or ultra light crashed partially onto the road.  Possibly engine failure considering where the aircraft was lying.  Police, ambulance, Fire all there and possibly aircraft investigators as well.   No-one injured as far as reports found say.

i went to Aldi the other day and a woman was checking the eggs to make sure they were not cracked etc.

Well I do that, I think most people do that. She was checking them just before the till as the carton was going down the conveyor belt

Better late than never, I suppose.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

... my relatives this year in Hungary had their whole house burned down in a fire. It is not some theoretical argument. Fires are nasty things.

I hope they had insurance.

Of course not. We gave them what we had spare. They are part of a certain frowned upon community in Hungary who are sorting out the rest.

Figures are uncertain, although the SS were meticulous, but many records were destroyed, but it is likely that more Hungarian Roma were killed by Hitler than Hungarian Jews.

It is going to sound racist whichever way I say it, but the Jews got a voice afterwards,because they had a voice before, the jewish intelligentsia. The Roma never had a voice to start with, A life is a life. I know that probably sounds anti-semitic when written but is not, just please remember that Jews were not the only "minority" killed by that arsehole, and not even the largest one. They just could shout louder from so to speak the terraces, the wise ones who had seen it coming and got out in time. And it is right that they did shout, they shouted for many years before the war, but their voices fell on deaf ears. Orwell, who had a thing or two to say about antisemitism, had noted the tendency in 1934 and was certain of it by 1936. (I doubt it is a coincidence that the hate figure in Nineteen Eighty-Four is Emmanual Goldstein, i.e. a stereotypically Jewish name, although religion has been abolished in Ingsoc).

Thank God or Yahweh or Allah or Nobody or whoever you want to thank, the flowers and bees, that we never, ever, have to go through the horror of thinking cos someone is a different colour or size or wears different clothes or speaks a different language we must kill them. i'm a bit of a pantheist I see God everyhwere, God is in the details I forget who said it, but he isn't in the sky, he might not be some bloke in heaven, he is here every day if you only look up at the stars and down at the ground, even a bit of scrub ground has beautiful insects and weed flowers with beautiful colours and scents, you only have to look down or up and God is all around you. God is all of us, it is how we behave to other people, how we help each other out, that is God. But then that is just my religious view, not Santa Claus in the sky.

I know the stars are masses of gases billions of miles away and so on. They are still beautiful to look at on a clear night, Was it not Le Corbusier, the architect, who said "The beautiful is as useful as the useful. Perhaps moreso", A nice quote, but his buildings are always useless and ugly. The beautiful is all around you, for free. All you have to do is look or hear.

The dawn chorus will go soon cos all the summer birds have had their chicks. We had blackbirds in our garden, the hen and the cock taking turns, thy were nesting in a little nook. The cock got a load of moss out of my gutters to make a nest, saved me a job. I think they have flown now.

Once in Cambridge, England, I went to put my cigarette out in the little litter bin thing on the wall and there were seven little blue tit nestlings in there, the parents had made a nest over the weekend when nobody was working, the fag bin made a perfect nest. Six out of seven flew, they left the last which is normal. We had ducks and a kingfisher, there was a little lake, the kingfisher onen day managed to bash its brains out on the office window but I knew a taxidermist friend so we stuffed him and I have him. I would have preferred to have seen him alive, though,

fluffy2560 wrote:

That quote, might be a non-sequitur as there's no logical connection.

It is not a non sequitur (i.e. literally "it does not follow") it is a perfectly good case of modus ponens ponens. If men do nothing, evil follows. That is the first premiss. If men do not do nothing, evil does not follow. That is the second premiss. Therefore by conjunction we have either that men do nothing and we have evil, or men do not-nothing (syntactically let's call that "something")  and we do not have evil. It is perfectly logically sound.

of course it requires the Law of Excluded Middle (i.e. "that that is is that that is not that that is not that that is") to assume that if men do not-nothing, i.e. something,  then evil will not prosper, but as a basic construction of modus ponens ponens it is logically sound.

There is no room for it that men who do something may actually add to the evil. you need something other than a binary logic for that.

What you have interpreted is you are expecting a tautology when it is only an implication.

Here endeth the lesson on basic propositional logic. Next time, predicate calculus...

45 mins. to get into Auqa world, YIKES!
They should at least go around and hand out water to those waiting to get in.
Hope it was fun, I wished I went swimming yesterday but I thought it would rain, can't trust the weather reports.
There is always next time.
sad about that guy Matthew passing away from illness, my sister passed from a asthma attack but I know in my heart her lifestyle didn't help her health condition.Should of taken better care of herself.
Made me think of Motley Crue, not my sort of music but my younger bro was a huge fan of theirs.
Actually I do believe they were started behind my mother's house.
I know some "famous" heavy metal band grew up in Simi, Ca. and practiced one house over and behind my mom's home.
Used to drive her totallynuts when the drums started! Drove the whole neighborhood crazy.
They were a bit too old at the time for my bro who is a rocker type to hang with them and a bit too young for us older siblings to of known at the time.
Probably is Motley Crue that comes to my mind because Vince Neil lived near Simi later when they hit the big time. He was suing Rocketdyne because his little girl got cancer and died.
My mom worked there for a spell in the early 1960's right after their melt down and I know so many people from my hometown who had/have or knew someone who has/had cancer.
Most all of my old school mates have a child. parent or sibling who passed from cancer.
The ground water was a mess there and the soil too.
Many of my friends used to play a skids in the wash water... All seemed to have picked up some funky illness or cancer.
I am now really wondering how good all the new pipes for water delivery are, all made out of plastics instead of the old metal pipes.
Made me think of just how much plastic everyone uses everyday.
Furniture, computer parts, water bottles, cleaning supplies everything is mostly plastic these days, even the inside of the car dashboards.
Had cars in the past with wood or metal parts inside , not plastic.
Oh well, guess we are all on borrowed time.
Weird that at this stage in life I suddenly care about stuff that in the past just went over my head.

Back to old rockers.
I know this will seem not real or made up but my sisters last boyfriend , really put some of the blame on him for her passing.
Anyways my sis told me he had been a studio drummer before he started up his business of doing commercial painting.
He said drummers in studios were not really needed much after those drum machines came into play.
I saw a photo myself where he was with Ringo Star and another Beatles, like I wasn't all the impressed so forgot which Beatle it was, Paul or Faul maybe? He , her BF was near a drum kit and it seems he did some work on one of their albums, Weird,
I had a buddy when I was 17, she was my sisters friend first before they had a falling out. When I ran away from home she moved in with me and our gay friend in a hotel in Silverlake , Ca.
She went to High School with allot of well known people. She was in the same class as Jackson Brown, she even wrote a few lines from his well known song. She said she came up with the line " Girl in a flat bed Ford"and another line or two. She didn't know what she was doing at the time and signed over her rights to co-writing that song, "Take it easy". She got about $2,000. under the table for her efforts and bought some nice stereo for her mom's house and some clothing.
Never saw anyone get so mad whenever that tune was played.
Believe it or not, she ran away at age 12 to SF and used to baby-sit and live at Grace Slicks place, she later in LA baby-sat sometimes for Frank Zappa.
She was very  much a Love Child sort of person but changed over time as we all do.
I had a falling out with her but that's another story. She left me in a bad situation and friends don't do that.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I saw a photo myself where he was with Ringo Star and another Beatles, like I wasn't all the impressed so forgot which Beatle it was, Paul or Faul maybe?

Yep, probably Faul McQuigly, the sixty-fifth member of the Beatles, but they dropped him after the famous Aberdeen Incident in 1965 and touched up most of the photos to exclude him. He played kazoo and harmonica on "Love Me Do" in 62, but was not very good with a swannee whistle, which is what the band required at the time.

Given a photo of the Beatles, how is it possible not to recognise a member of the Beatles? Marilyn, you have a unique talent.

I recommend for you to search for "The Rutles" (the prefab four) who when I was a child used to appear on Rutland Weekend Television.

My talent is I don't give a Da*.
I seriously am not overly impressed by they talents of others, respect it but again, what's it to my bottom line?
I am odd, I know.
That line my old friend came up with was the entire bit of, " It's a girl my Lord in a Flat bed Ford". Worth a whopping $2,000 in the early 70's or whenever they wrote it.
She knew him in HS and they often sat down and just made up silly lines for songs with other kids in school.
His manager told him to pay her off before the song was sold. Smart on his part because he owes her a bit more $$.
I will check out the Beatles early days later on U tube maybe.
I really honestly do not even like to be around famous people, makes me uncomfortable.
Not that I've hung with famous people much.
Seen them here and there is Ca.
My sister like I've mentioned knew allot of semi-famous people who knew people etc.
My opinion was most of them are totally off the rails, self absorbed and are boring other then their one and only talent that they are known for.
Once we had tickets for some talk show in the 80's the guest was Charleston Heston, you know Ben Hur.
Well we my sis and I often dressed almost exactly the same over the years without even talking it over first. Really we were almost like twins but 5 years apart in birth order.
Ok, so that day we both had on the same colors and almost the same outfit and were sitting really near the stage. Mr Heston kept on looking at us although to the camera he probably just seemed to be looking into the crowd.
Gave me the darn creeps really but my sister was so happy about it, just not my thing.
Famous or overly well known, rich people just bug me, they are too full of themselves most times and expect everyone to treat them differently.
No thanks, don't really think there is a famous person alive I care to meet even people from the past, maybe Jesus is the only exception but in that case I wouldn't feel worthy enough.
To me everyday people are far more interesting.