Absolutely Anything Else

This women was a super attractive manager in a jewelry store before getting married to that rich gy. She was maybe in her early 40's and he was in his late 60's, they met at the gym.
She was full of life but during that marriage he sucked the life out of her, she was left poorer and mentally broken without any money in the long run.
I once dated a "nice Jewish boy" in Encino, Ca.
Nice super talented guy, really a sweet person who was crazy about me for some reason or the other.
Anyways one day I noticed a photo of him on a horse as a young boy.
Cute and all.
I told him , wow, I also have a photo of myself about that same age ( 3 or 4 years old)on a horse. mentioned some man came around house to house in the 50's with his horse and a camera and took photos of kids.
He said,well, that was actually my own horse and I had private ridding lessons.
Right then and there I realized there was a unbalance between us and I wasn't ever going to be less then my partner.
Had to break up with him, never going set myself up to be the one who needed help or someone's money to get by.

Call me a fool or whatever but those sorts of relationships are always one sided in the end.
Never want to hear someone say, look what i did for you or you'd be nowhere without me, etc.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I am not sure if I'm sardonic or sarcastic.  I don't even really know the difference. I would go for sarcastic.

They are similar words. But one way to think of them, is sarcastic is more often meant to hurt someone, while sardonic can be more self deprecating or circumstantial humor. So, as an example, saying getting into a relationship at work never works out, then saying you married a co-worker, I would take as being a form or self depreciating humor in reply to the legendary tribulations of "work place relationships". Ergo, sardonic. :)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I am not sure if I'm sardonic or sarcastic.  I don't even really know the difference. I would go for sarcastic.

They are similar words. But one way to think of them, is sarcastic is more often meant to hurt someone, while sardonic can be more self deprecating or circumstantial humor. So, as an example, saying getting into a relationship at work never works out, then saying you married a co-worker, I would take as being a form or self depreciating humor in reply to the legendary tribulations of "work place relationships". Ergo, sardonic. :)

Great explanation.
Suppose I am mostly "sardonic" never like the spotlight once I get it.
Always best to divert attention from ones self.

Totally "digging" this cooler weather these past days in Budapest.
Able to actually turn the oven on and do some baking and roasting.

We know usually June is a strange month over here in Hungary , could be hot , cold or rainy.
I think Aug. and the very tail end of July are the real summer months here  over all.
Found a new swim hole up in Buda and have been enjoying the sunshine and pine trees.
Nothing beats being out in nature, sometimes I do wonder why I am in the city.

Got some sort of sad news from my friend in Hilo.
She is super nice and very smart.
Has such a sweet positive outlook on life even though I have known her throughout some very dark times..
Her old husband was half Japanese, I knew them both from the old gym in Hilo.Such a nice man to talk too.
He was the owner of his own real estate co. and she was a social worker in Hilo.
They had 3 kids together, he was first generation American.
Ok, so 25 some years back her job with the state of Hawaii sent her to Honolulu for a few days of meetings.
While she was out of town her husband  did a ton of coke and died in their bed. Her 15 year old son found him in the morning.
She told me his real estate co. was sinking and she had no idea of it. He had a secret life that she didn't know about, how odd and how sad.

Not long after that she found out she was very ill with lupus.
Her only daughter who had been a school teacher in Hawaii  had a couple years long affair with some very wealthy Arab man , he put her up in a hotel for a long while but would not leave his wife.
Finally she broke away from him and got married  and moved to Ca.
Her other son, is now for about the 3rd time in drug rehab in Ca.
One the bright side, her other son is a doctor in Honolulu and is doing great. loves his job etc.
So her boy has relapsed for the 3rd time.
While she was a widow , believe me the pickings are not great in Hilo, she met and married a super nice man who is a retired Lawyer.
I am seriously happy they met each other and her life has turned around.
They have done a good job of mixing their two families .
I really hope her poor little lost son gets himself in order and doesn't break her heart.
Not 100% clear about if he is the one boy who found his overdosed father or not.
Such a beautiful spirited lady, always seeing the positive in life and helping people.
One would hope that fate would be on her side with her son and his issues.
If not for her marrying a wealthy man who was kind, she would never of been able to send her boy to a good rehab center. Maybe they have not "cured"him but he is still living, where there is life there is hope.
Gosh ,I seem to know allot of very diverse people for a person who is a semi-hermit.
I find eveyone's life very interesting, most people are interesting actually.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

We know usually June is a strange month over here in Hungary , could be hot , cold or rainy.

If one uses the equinox and solstice as the season demarcation, then "summer" just started on Thursday, June 21st this year. Which can explain June's finicky, spring like weather. :)

For the past 2 days I have noticed the planes flying for the Red Bull BS!
The HU tax payers are paying for security for this upcoming event.
Who know what else they are paying for.

I honestly was not even thinking of this  but had  light a light bulb going off in my head, I was thinking what is all this practice for?
These pilots are well paid and the Red Bull is a private co. so why are the HU tax payers paying for a dime of this event?
I also had a thought about those seniors still living who hear this noise hours on end.
What PTSD are they experiencing? Does anyone even think of that?
I know my step-dad used to wake up screaming, " Bombardier" from his WW11 and Korean war experiences.
There has to be a few very old seniors who are freaking out listening to this endless engine noise. Just waiting for the bombs to drop on their heads.
Just seems like a total waste of time, money and energy for this stuff.
Maybe I am over thinking or maybe I am just thinking.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I honestly was not even thinking of this  but had  light a light bulb going off in my head, I was thinking what is all this practice for?
These pilots are well paid and the Red Bull is a private co. so why are the HU tax payers paying for a dime of this event?

It's a bit like Formula 1.  Supposedly a world class event to encourage tourism. In theory,  it should be self-financing.  They've had air races for years the world over so I suppose it's been worth it. Personally I think Formula 1 is boring as hell.  Red Bull air race is more interesting.  They have to practice in order to make it's safe for themselves and the spectators.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

It's a bit like Formula 1.  Supposedly a world class event to encourage tourism. In theory,  it should be self-financing.  They've had air races for years the world over so I suppose it's been worth it. Personally I think Formula 1 is boring as hell.  Red Bull air race is more interesting.  They have to practice in order to make it's safe for themselves and the spectators.

Sort of weird to practice over our heads here...
Seriously though these noises could set off a person with PTSD.
Saw a stunt plane crash into the dirt in S.Ca. years back. A female pilot bit the dust. It was horrible, her parents and some family were sitting directly behind us in the bleachers.
Her poor mom was out of her mind when her girls plane crashed into the ground.
Thankfully her plane was not right over our heads when it went down.
No amount of practice can stop an accident.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Sort of weird to practice over our heads here...
Seriously though these noises could set off a person with PTSD.
Saw a stunt plane crash into the dirt in S.Ca. years back. A female pilot bit the dust. It was horrible, her parents and some family were sitting directly behind us in the bleachers.
Her poor mom was out of her mind when her girls plane crashed into the ground.
Thankfully her plane was not right over our heads when it went down.
No amount of practice can stop an accident.

Well, no, but you could say PTSD could be a problem from anything - car crashes, DIY or just food poisoning.  Flying planes low and fast is an  inherently its dangerous pastime and "sport".  People can lower their risks by practicing and rehearsing. 

I don't think many people dice with death playing chess unless it's through boredom.  As an aside I like the idea that "grand masters" can now be beaten regularly by chess playing computers. It's the end of that game.  It was never then a game of skill but simply computation and therefore always solvable. 

I was watching a Youtube video on drone racing.  I thought that kind of looked fun.  Cameras mounted on the drone gives a birds eye view and with 3D glasses, it all a very immersive experience.  Could be Red Bull without the planes.

True about PTSD from different sources.
Had some dummy run a right light in Ca when I was doing a left turn. He admitted he had run the red light but thought he could make it.He clipped the back end of my little Alfa and sent me into a 360 spin.
Lucky me, no seat belt on and only sore elbows and all shook up.
My poor little car was a goner though....
Had  nightmares for weeks after that and it took me awhile to have the courage to make left turns again in my replacement car. For weeks on end I was going out of my way to avoid making left turns.

Ambnroise bierce defines "Dentist" as a magician who put metgal in your mouth and pulls coins out of your pocket

Devil's Dictionary I think you can find it online but I have only a first edition

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

She was full of life but during that marriage.

Marriage is defined as a husband a wife and two slaves, making in all four

My misssus just bought me a doughnut and hersellf a new bra. I said fanks for the mammaries.

(singing) donut foresake oh me darling

While fluffy is away I can do all the bad puns around here I did warn him

SimonTrew wrote:

I'm not really away, just highly distracted.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

I'm not really away, just highly distracted.

i can get you lowly distracted if you fancy some cannabis, Canada just legalised it. I was waiting to find that the maple leaf in the middle of the flag had been replacedby a cannabis leaf (I don't touch it myself) but that seems not to have not happened yet, so I have to do it myself I guess.í

You know my views on that I onlz touch booze and fags but I think there would be a lot less problem if the whole lot was legal.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Call me a fool.

You're a fool. A very nice one though,. I am a fool too. Fools like us keep the world going around on its axis.

I know this will not come out well but I was at Professor Stephen Hawking's funeral. I don't want to do details they send him away pleasant.

But I was there at his funeral. He ran over my foot in his wheelchair he was a right bastard around cambridtge he drove like mad in his wheelchair

I have at least had the pleasure to shake hands with him once

Marilljn Tassy
Wasn born in a taki
She live iin Hawaii
Where nanas grow upwards

She didn't have mucn
Wiith muuch money or such
She had only her friends
When she had to meet ends

But now I can do her a bit clerihew

This  doggerel this crap yours sincerely Si Trew

SimonTrew wrote:

I'm distracted by high levels of responsibility - kids on holiday.  I delegate nothing as there's nothing to delegate.  It's a free for all.

I'm also distracted by some great TV shows - Handmaid's Tale,  Colony and The Expanse.

SimonTrew wrote:

My misssus just bought me a doughnut and hersellf a new bra. I said fanks for the mammaries.

(singing) donut foresake oh me darling

That was funny.
Too early in the day to even try to think up a come back.

A couple nights back I noticed the local news was showing clips from ,"Billy Elliot".
I told my husband I didn't know it was playing because I had wanted to see it at the Erkel about 2 years back when they had a few shows, dress rehearsals .
Couldn't get anyone to come with me and then I sort of forgot about it.
Now it is being banned because it may turn boys gay!
What?
Not so sure if seeing someone perform a dance is going to turn anyone into anything.
I am at a loss for words on this one.If a dance show is going to turn anyone anyway then they have already had it in mind or it's in the nature already.
Ballet is a sport, more physical then most other sports with allot of self discipline and control.
Seeing someone do a pirouette isn't going to make them start to cruise the spas and bars...

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

I'm distracted by high levels of responsibility - kids on holiday.  I delegate nothing as there's nothing to delegate.  It's a free for all.

I'm also distracted by some great TV shows - Handmaid's Tale,  Colony and The Expanse.

Day come, day go day
Wishing on a Sunday
Drinking buttermilk all week long
Whisky on a Sunday

Doo do doo do, Day come day go day
Wishing on  a Sunday
Drinking buttermilk all week long
Whisky on a sunday

Now google tells me there is no Rolf Harris who recorded all the Australian folk songs,  probably cos he got put away for paeodophilia. Disgrace, I can find Rogue Herries but not Rolf Harris. I would personally gho out and kill any true paedophile, but he wasnt one, just because he had children on his knee etc does not make him a paedophile.

No wonder my dad was scared to touch my niece, his granddaughter, he said if I touch her they will take me to prison. What kind of a world is that where a man is not allowed to kiss his granddaughter gooodnight?

Give me a paedophile and I will personally go and hang them, I do have a list of standard drops  (puiblished by a certain man called Pierrepoint) and I will quite happily do it myselfl. The rabbit goes round the house three times, then he jumps up the hole, then back down again. Any true paedophile I would quite happily hang them myself, give me that job any day of the week.

But there is too much J'accuse of people being paedophiles when they are not, That is my opinion and you're welcome to it.

That is the weirdest one I ever got, on Nagykata market I got six old optics that were in imperial at 1/6 of a gill and the stands for them, in British. I can imagine that the pubs chucked them out when they had to go metric but how they ended up at Nagyakata piac I willl never know how would you chuck that out, someone send it to Hungary, I am trying to say they are sixth of a gill optics in hungarian I have no idea how to translate gill or optic of course. How the bugger did they end up on Nagykata market, I just don't know which strange route they would possibly get to there.

I remember the pubs going metric and "New Larger measures" (25ml is about 1ml longer than 1/6 gill) so not very much larger really, but how those optics ended up here in Hungary on a market I cannot work that one out. ere I dunno.

fluffy2560 wrote:

PTSD could be a problem from anything - .... DIY ....

The CBS Radio Workshop has a very funny show about that, named "The Day the Roof Fell In". Play it while doing some DIY project :) :

https://ia800505.us.archive.org/2/items … ell_In.mp3

Side note: A roof actually did fall in on me while doing DIY work. Twice. No PTSD however. But I did learned a thing or two from that. First, yes, head wounds bleed a lot. Second, they can create an ugly scar. ;)

klsallee wrote:

Side note: A roof actually did fall in on me while doing DIY work. Twice. No PTSD however. But I did learned a thing or two from that. First, yes, head wounds bleed a lot. Second, they can create an ugly scar. ;)

Oh I have done better than that. I have managed to burn my own house down by carelessly leaving a cigarette on the go while I went out to do a shift at the pub. THey called me up at the pub to say "Sorry SImon but I believe your house is burning down". I have managed to get it all go up in smoke,. When the fire brigade left the captain said is there anything else you need? Well I have a pint of beer on the bar so can I go back and finish it.

I am turning into Marilyn now aren't I I have had such a strange life but a good one. It seems that it is kinda impossible to kill me, however hard I try.

I have fallen of ladders, I have been hit by fires, I have fallen into rivers, I just seem to be impenetrable to anything awful happening to me. I get 220 volts through me quite reqularly when I forget which one is the zöld and which is the colour coded one. I just seem to be indestructable. I do not take that for granted, not at all, I do actually care about safety, but it seems nothing can destroy mme. I have fallen off a ten foot ladder and got away with it. One day my luck will run out.

I have managed to cut me left eye out when I wasnt watching carefully, they managed to stick it back in again somehow. I have lost fingernails and toenails but it seems I have not managed quite to kill myself yet.

One day I will get the hand I deserve. I pray that it will not be today.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

A couple nights back I noticed the local news was showing clips from ,"Billy Elliot".
I told my husband I didn't know it was playing because I had wanted to see it at the Erkel about 2 years back when they had a few shows, dress rehearsals .
What?
Not so sure if seeing someone perform a dance is going to turn anyone into anything.
I am at a loss for words on this one.If a dance show is going to turn anyone anyway then they have already had it in mind or it's in the nature already.
Ballet is a sport, more physical then most other sports with allot of self discipline and control.
Seeing someone do a pirouette isn't going to make them start to cruise the spas and bars...

I read all that  Billy Elliot nonsense. I am not surprised at that kind of Trumpist nonsense coming out of the OV aligned media.   The actor who played Billy Elliot - Jamie Bell - hasn't become gay and has appeared in numerous action films.  So laughably stupid as any kind of theory of gayness.

There have been numerous rumours (possibly nonsense) of a stage show about a ballet dancer who wants to be a miner. It was to be called Ellie Billiot.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

What?

I read all that  Billy Elliot nonsense. I am not surprised at that kind of Trumpist nonsense coming out of the OV aligned media.   The actor who played Billy Elliot - Jamie Bell - hasn't become gay and has appeared in numerous action films.  So laughably stupid as any kind of theory of gayness.

There have been numerous rumours (possibly nonsense) of a stage show about a ballet dancer who wants to be a miner. It was to be called Ellie Billiot.

Actually I wish to recant  most of my statement about the gov. trying to shut down Billy Elliot.
Have it on good authority that the OV gov. is really not going after the "gays" in Hungary.
Heard it from a source who should know.
Not sure where this news is coming from or why it is news now.
Like I said it was a couple years back that i wanted to see the afternoon rehearsals for this show.
What took so long for them to say anything?
Seems like someone is digging to make trouble, maybe?

SimonTrew wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Oh I have done better than that. I have managed to burn my own house down by carelessly leaving a cigarette on the go while I went out to do a shift at the pub. THey called me up at the pub to say "Sorry SImon but I believe your house is burning down". I have managed to get it all go up in smoke,. When the fire brigade left the captain said is there anything else you need? Well I have a pint of beer on the bar so can I go back and finish it.

I am turning into Marilyn now aren't I I have had such a strange life but a good one. It seems that it is kinda impossible to kill me, however hard I try.

I have fallen of ladders, I have been hit by fires, I have fallen into rivers, I just seem to be impenetrable to anything awful happening to me. I get 220 volts through me quite reqularly when I forget which one is the zöld and which is the colour coded one. I just seem to be indestructable. I do not take that for granted, not at all, I do actually care about safety, but it seems nothing can destroy mme. I have fallen off a ten foot ladder and got away with it. One day my luck will run out.

I have managed to cut me left eye out when I wasnt watching carefully, they managed to stick it back in again somehow. I have lost fingernails and toenails but it seems I have not managed quite to kill myself yet.

One day I will get the hand I deserve. I pray that it will not be today.

Good grief! Be careful , don't run with scissors or poke your eye out with a fork!! Oh my!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Actually I wish to recant  most of my statement about the gov. trying to shut down Billy Elliot.
Have it on good authority that the OV gov. is really not going after the "gays" in Hungary.
Heard it from a source who should know.
Not sure where this news is coming from or why it is news now.
Like I said it was a couple years back that i wanted to see the afternoon rehearsals for this show.
What took so long for them to say anything?
Seems like someone is digging to make trouble, maybe?

Probably not worth withdrawing the statement as it will be true at some point in the way things are going in the OV agenda.  There could well be a rather large fire smouldering heavily under the smoke(screens).  I've heard plenty of gay people work in the government.   There are some real nutters in the Parliament and elsewhere in HU.

But notwithstanding the nonsense that goes on in the media, Hungary already has discriminatory laws for the LGBTI+ community - like no same sex marriage etc.  It's only a matter of time before some groups are going to be victimised.   

The backlash against Trumpist style rhetoric has already started in the wake of the child separation scandal forcing the guy to backtrack.  Probably those viewing from further afield (like Italy or HU) will be taking notes.  And ask for Melania's clothing choices...well, says a lot doesn't it?

There's an article in the Economist this week which  says that values will ultimately always beat the policies.   Maybe we'll see a self-limiting feedback loop on the bonkers stuff around at the moment.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Oh I thought when he was a kiddy he wanted to be a "minor". Then he grew up to become a dolt, or is that adult?

Oh I need to go to the pun shop today  because I think I ran out of puns.

fluffy2560 wrote:

There's an article in the Economist this week which  says that values will ultimately always beat the policies.   Maybe we'll see a self-limiting feedback loop on the bonkers stuff around at the moment.

You mean a close coupled feedback loo. I only get the economist from the newsstand at the back of Keleti station I do not have it on subscription and have never seen it anywhere else in Hungary.

That is one of the weird things like international press is all over the place in most European cities you will have Der Spiegel and Le Monde and so on but in Hungary the press stands never have anything than Hungarian. You go for a copy of something expecting it to be in Italian or whatever and then it is in Hungarian. I mean, I don't mind reading it in Hungarian but that you know, you just were expecting it to be in the original language. Everything is kinda "translated" if you see what I mean.

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

You mean a close coupled feedback loo.

Nah that would be an entire load of poo coming back at you,

Close-coupled feedback loop. Is that better?

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yeah we heard a couple come over, I presume they go into Budaors? We are on the flightpath to Liszt Ference, Ferihegy as was, so the big planes we are used to hearing them coming in to landm but i did spot or hear a small one coming in and thought that won't be going into there it will get smacked by a wizzair or something.,

There were a huge number of motorcyclists round my way this weekend with really nice motorcycles they were riding nice and careful and let go across the crossing but all whizzing off towards centre of town. So I guess there is some motorcycle event must have seen twenty, oh, but more tourers big bloody things with a bitch on the back, maybe there is some motorccle holidayy thing on Margitsziget?

Because, and this is going to sound wrong probably, because I live here in Hungary I never keep up with any tourist events or anything, in england I used to live on the flightpath into Duxford aerodrome and could watch and hear all the old planes coming in for their flying display, know what you are on about. I seem to be forever living directly under a flightpath, I am not complaining at all, to see an old Messerschmitt or whatever is a delight. The plane last night the little one this would have been about 9pm just as I was in the garden watering the flowers it was kinda dragonfly buzzing in the sky, so no idea what it was it was just as the light was fading. (Cos you water flowers at dusk and so on not in the heat of the day, you'll burn them).

fluffy2560 wrote:

The backlash against Trumpist style rhetoric has already started in the wake of the child separation scandal forcing the guy to backtrack.

Only people on the left say he had to backtrack.

People on the right claim he corrected a law made by the Democrats.

That is, it is all relative. And more important, facts don't matter (no, it was not caused by a law made by the Democrats). And because of that propaganda campaign, Donald now has the highest support among Republican voters (90%) and lowest by Democrats (15%) of any sitting POTUS at this time in his term.

We live in polarized times. To the point one can not even "trust" ones own view if they are biased and taken without understanding how his supports will interpret the same news. Be careful.

fluffy2560 wrote:

There's an article in the Economist this week which  says that values will ultimately always beat the policies.

There was an article in the NY Times last week that showed stats that so called American "evangelists" who in the past always had the "value" that a person's personal morality were important in his public life, are mostly okay now with a leader who has questionable morality. That is, his personal morality no longer matters. So called "values" are clearly flexible. And can not be counted on to bring about a traditional "value based" political result.

Quite frankly, liberals are still in shock and can not "get this" yet. They think people are acting rationally. They are not. People are acting out of fear. And a lot of that fear is from propaganda designed to keep them in fear. And people like Donald and his twitter account, continue to spread such fear. Facts don"t matter to his audience. Correcting the tweet are "Snopes" won't work. His audience have long been told not to trust such "gate keepers of fake news". Believing he is retreat is to underestimate him.

SimonTrew wrote:

.....Yeah we heard a couple come over, I presume they go into Budaors? We are on the flightpath to Liszt Ference, Ferihegy as was, so the big planes we are used to hearing them coming in to landm but i did spot or hear a small one coming in and thought that won't be going into there it will get smacked by a wizzair or something.,

The Red Bull base is at Tököl Airfield (Wiki pages are only in Hungarian).  Budaors is a grass strip.  The buildings are nice at Budaors so they use it as a film location.

I've been to Tököl and it's an odd place.  Former Soviet (?) base with lots of former aircraft hanger/bunkers so planes are spread out all over the places.  Has a massive runway - presumably for Soviet bombers.  When you land in a small and slow plane, it takes about a minute to fly down the runway.

I would think if Budapest reached capacity, Tököl would be used as an overflow.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

.....Yeah we heard a couple come over, I presume they go into Budaors? We are on the flightpath to Liszt Ference, Ferihegy as was, so the big planes we are used to hearing them coming in to landm but i did spot or hear a small one coming in and thought that won't be going into there it will get smacked by a wizzair or something.,

The Red Bull base is at Tököl Airfield (Wiki pages are only in Hungarian).  Budaors is a grass strip.  The buildings are nice at Budaors so they use it as a film location.

I've been there and it's an odd place.  Former Soviet (?) base with lots of former aircraft hanger/bunkers so planes are spread out all over the places.  Has a massive runway - presumably for Soviet bombers.  When you land in a small and slow plane, it takes about a minute to fly down the runway.

My Hungarian missus is stuck on the tarmac in the mystery bus to get her flight out to England, air traffic control must have changed the usual flightpaths. THe air show was yesterday she says so they were no doubt going OUT not IN. here right now they are brining the big ones all in to Liszt Ferenc, they are all landing in the business flights I dont think that she will be off in a hurry. Pulling them in to get on the ground before I think they'll let anything take off, they are bringing them all in first.

Which is annoying but necessary I guess. Flight delays are a fact of life, and I have extreme respect for Air Traffic Control and it is safety first. I may make a joke or laugh here but safety first,

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

I've been there and it's an odd place.  Former Soviet (?) base with lots of former aircraft hanger/bunkers so planes are spread out all over the places.  Has a massive runway - presumably for Soviet bombers.  When you land in a small and slow plane, it takes about a minute to fly down the runway.

My Hungarian missus is stuck on the tarmac in the mystery bus to get her flight out to England, air traffic control must have changed the usual flightpaths.....,

She's probably stuck because of the building work going on.  Last time I arrived there a few weeks ago, we had to disembark down the steps to buses because most of the air bridges were out of action.

Tököl's licensing I believe was to be upgraded to a commercial/public airport but some protesters managed to get the license revoked.  Shame really as it could be quite convenient as an alternate to Ferihegy.  However, if you are on the left bank of the Danube, there's no bridge to Csepel island, only a ferry to Százhalombatta which limits its accessibility to those further down on the M6 towards Szeged.   They could build a motorway extension to open up the area or make it a cargo airport to limit noise at Ferihegy.  No doubt selfish protesters would stop that.

While I'm having a bridge rant, I'm still annoyed about Szentendre island having no access from the "Colbert" bridge.  They say it would have ruined the unique area but I look at it another way, it would have made the southern part  more accessible for leisure purposes.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I've been to Tököl and it's an odd place.  Former Soviet (?)

Is that possible to say former soviet I am not sure myself. I mean I know there were soviets all over the place and could they be former soviets. YOu would say the former soviet union wouldnt you so I think yeah, former soviet just about is right. you're right I do hungarian during the week and English on weekends so my brain switched and hasn't quite switched back to Hungarian yet, but you are bang on the money I think.

klsallee wrote:

People on the right claim he corrected a law made by the Democrats.

That is, it is all relative. And more important, facts don't matter (no, it was not caused by a law made by the Democrats). And because of that propaganda campaign, Donald now has the highest support among Republican voters (90%) and lowest by Democrats (15%) of any sitting POTUS at this time in his term.

We live in polarized times. To the point one can not even "trust" ones own view if they are biased and taken without understanding how his supports will interpret the same news. Be careful.

........ American "evangelists" who in the past always had the "value" that a person's personal morality were important in his public life, are mostly okay now with a leader who has questionable morality. That is, his personal morality no longer matters. So called "values" are clearly flexible. And can not be counted on to bring about a traditional "value based" political result.

Quite frankly, liberals are still in shock and can not "get this" yet. They think people are acting rationally. They are not. People are acting out of fear. And a lot of that fear is from propaganda designed to keep them in fear. And people like Donald and his twitter account, continue to spread such fear. Facts don"t matter to his audience. Correcting the tweet are "Snopes" won't work. His audience have long been told not to trust such "gate keepers of fake news". Believing he is retreat is to underestimate him.

Wow! Great posting!  I had not had that level of analysis in my mind and it's a bit of a shocker.   

In the wider context I was very disappointed to see Erdogan re-elected as that's more reinforcement of illiberal thinking.  I just wonder when a correction from all this extremism will take place? 

At least Donald can only get two terms unless he attempts to take on a constitutional change.  That may be a step too far even for him. 

I still cannot get my head around the massive swing to ridiculous extremist views that abound these days.

fluffy2560 wrote:

While I'm having a bridge rant, I'm still annoyed about Szentendre island having no access from the "Colbert" bridge.  They say it would have ruined the unique area but I look at it another way, it would have made the southern part  more accessible for leisure purposes.

I am deliberately not looking up the Stephen Colbert bridge. I have a certain penchant for bridges. The British one that is on the back of the coins, the Launch Hid, that is quite nice but then again, designed by an Englishman, built by a Scotsman. See, pretty much everything in Hungary is British built. They had to import, I think, the steel from Sheffield because Hungary hadn't the foundry to make the steel at that time, they floated it all around the coast and somehow got it there up the Duna/Danube.

It will be I imagine, I am turning into a tourist guide, they will be all paying too much to float down the danube. The water buses that run that BKK do are pretty cool, and a lot cheaper than those expensive tourist trips.

I am kinda posting this because I bet it will end up on Google and tourists get ripped off something chronic if they are not careful. I do everything on foot and bus and it is not hard, Budapest is comparatively a small city, you can get a bus from anywhere to anywhere. Don't get ripped off by those tourist tours, the water bus is nice to see both sides of the Duna/Danube is it not

fluffy2560 wrote:

I still cannot get my head around the massive swing to ridiculous extremist views that abound these days.

All over Europe the political climate has gone to the right hasnt it. I am a wishy washy mildly  left wing, but you see the Hungarian president and he is a carbon copy of Margaret Thatcher, is he not. Don't support anyone, stick up taxes, all in bits and pieces where you don't quite notice they have gone up. Let's privatize everything to bring in a bit more bunce, sell it all of he is privatising everything when you have your back turned, I am all for a bit of private enterprise but bang, there goes another publicly owned company, that yes I do pay all my taxes.

But the whole of Europe has gone so right wing now that the word "Socialist" is probably a swear word.

Everyone is entitled to his political views. You can actually change things if you want to. You have a voting form and if you get a vote, use it. I cannot vote in Hungarian nationals but vote in locals and districts and stuff. If someone sends you a voting form, make sure you use it, does not take long to find a polling station.

Spoil your ballot or vote for whoever you want, but PLEASE VOTE. We spent centuries to get the right to vote, so if you have one, Please use it.

I vote in British elections and make sure they send me the forms and then I send them back. i very rarely "win" because the council is strictly non-political. They're all Conservative.

Or do we get back to Feudalism where it is your Count that votes

We might get these er fascists is the only way to put it, Europe will be fascist if you don't use your vote.

I am a smoker and OV sneaks a few forint on to a packet of cigarettes, he is sneaky. Depending on what brand you smoke he sneaks it up ten forint here or twenty forint there, that is a very sneaky bit of work, do it all in bits and pieces so people don't notice. I don't mind paying tax that is my debt to society, that is my thankyou, if I can put it that way. But don't give me a sneaky little increase tell me up front.

"There is no such thing as society. There are only individuals, and families". That may have gone down well at a Conservative Party conference but it is not true. Look after yourself and then try to look after others, you cannot always do it but please don1t kick a walking stick off a blind person you can hold out your elbow and let them get on the tram and guide them up. It is not hard for me to take two seconds out of my life to help a blind person onto a bus or tram? No it is not.

There, that is my rant.