Absolutely Anything Else

klsallee wrote:

Oh, yes, and if one has lived in the village for "only" 20 years, you are still an "outsider". ;)

Oh yes I get that, "oh that new bloke" (magyarul) when I have lived in Hungary for five yeears. Oh, you are that new bloke. Well you have seen me every day for six months now.

klsallee wrote:

Thus, it is about social conditioning. If they know about things like Google or not is thus irrelevant. It is not how they are conditioned to interact with the Internet/Interwebs.

But if you want to make a suggestion to turn on the the self research part of their brain, then just send them to http://www.lmgtfy.com. :)

There used to be things called libraries and stuff that you could go and do some research. Nowadays it is Wikipedia. I gave up editing Wikipedia when I had to take thirty thousand umlauts out of redirects that were not Hungarian or Turkish, an editor had ran a bot to make anything with a German umlaut into an "oe" or "ae", also Old Enlglish ligatures so that we hav Aeethelred the Undready and nonsense like that.

In think I won one, that the Hungarian town Göd, was redirected, but Goed does not exist.

Attatuerk, that well known Tuerkish leader, is not Attatuerk , you büerk. I just gave up after about thirty thousand to convince anyone that these are not helpful.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Took me a min or two to realize I was just told to ,"go jump in a lake"

(singing) Don't jump off the roof, Dad, you'll make a hole in the yard
Mother's just planted petunias, we did not think it was hard
If you must end it all, Dad, why won't you give us a break
Just take a walk down the road, Dad, then go and jump in the lake.

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

People in the burbs don't even know their neighbours, let alone the nearest disabled or mentally ill person.

I live in the 'burbs, in the XV, and I know all my neighbours.  That, I think, is your personal choice if you don't bother to get to  know yours.

You might know your immediate neighbours but probably not the ones at the further reaches of the street nor the ones in the adjoining streets or in the houses backing on to your land.

SimonTrew wrote:

It doesn't always work, one homeless in UK was a crack addict and stole a lot of my property to pay for his habit. I had to chuck him out in the end. But that was my only failure my record so far is 5 out of 6 back homed and in work.

There are still another million or so to deal with but at least I made a start.

If you are on your own, then maybe it can work but when we've attempted to help people - including one recently we found slumped in the road - we've found other things wrong with them.   Usually it's alcohol problems.  We got this old bloke some Coca-Cola and water as I wasn't sure if his problem was low sugar or dehydration.  When he tasted the Coke he apparently complained it wasn't booze.  So even though he was slumped in the road unable to get up, he still wanted to have his drink.  I could see he was absolutely pickled. There's a look of rot about drunks especially the glassy eyes.  So we gave him so food and left him resting with his (well fed) dog under a tree.  He refused an ambulance because they'd take him to hospital and take his dog off him.   Oh well, cannot help everyone. 

While we might give people stuff,  we wouldn't invite random homeless people in.  We've got two kids and their security and welfare trumps everyone else.  We wouldn't know if they were released child molesting murderers or non-molesting non-murdering professors down on their luck.

klsallee wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

In a small village where everyone knows everyone, and has a bit of money etc, people can afford to be altruistic

That is sweet. Very idyllic. :)

Sadly, in my village, everyone knows everyone. But few have a bit of extra money, and because of long simmering issues, and maybe living too long and too close together in too small a village, many hate many others and would never be altruistic to them. :(

Oh, yes, and if one has lived in the village for "only" 20 years, you are still an "outsider". ;)

That goes back to the old thing of getting three Hungarians to agree to anything around the table.  I've got deja-vu that we've had this discussion before.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Sorry, that Jimmy Savile thing in the UK was rather a shocking. .. Vile actually, no pun intended.
Taking advantage of sick children in hospital has to be one of the lowest things ever.

Wasn't just Jimmy Saville, it's been a whole load of other public figures in the UK.  It's been quite strange as the net was cast wide but quite often found nothing and involved people highly unlikely to be molesters.  It was almost a panic measure.  But they did find some severely dodgy ones - Rolf Harris (an Australian import and all around entertainer and now in prison) and Cyril Smith (a massively overweight politician now dead).

But if one looks at Jimmy Saville videos on YouTube and see how he behaves you can see how creepy the guy really was.  His TV show trailer, "Jim'll fix it" showed a truck collecting kids.  It's so creepy knowing what we know now.   He can even be seen molesting kids directly on his TV show but people weren't really sure what he was doing and if it was an accident or what.  He was really very good at hiding his tracks.  If he'd been alive he'd be in jail for life.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Usually it's alcohol problems.  We got this old bloke some Coca-Cola and water as I wasn't sure if his problem was low sugar or dehydration.  When he tasted the Coke he apparently complained it wasn't booze

I am an alcoholic. Coca cola does not have the hit that a bit ethanol has.

I am an alcoholic and I know when to say "no". But your patronising behaviour of offering a coca cola is not going to work. you are I think being extremely patronising to people who have a diffrent mental illness from your own.

fluffy2560 wrote:

[quhat goes back to the old thing of getting three Hungarians to agree to anything around the table.  I've got deja-vu that we've had this discussion before.

Three Hungarians, four  opinions.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Wasn't just Jimmy Saville, it's been a whole load of other public figures in the UK.  It's been quite strange as the net was cast wide but quite often found nothing and involved people highly unlikely to be molesters.  It was almost a panic measure.  But they did find some severely dodgy ones - Rolf Harris (an Australian import and all around entertainer and now in prison) and Cyril Smith (a massively overweight politician now dead).

But if one looks at Jimmy Saville videos on YouTube and see how he behaves you can see how creepy the guy really was. .

I am not sure quite how true that is. Fucking little girls is definitely a hanging offence in my opioion, but to hace a boy or girl sitting on your knee ijust what your grandfather did, thathat is not paeodphilia to have a boy or girl on your knee as the kinda monkey's uncle and give them a cuddle.

My Dad,his neice is now 22 he said the same to me, I do not dare touch her in case I get arrested. That is the hard bit. My Dad was scared to cuddle his granddaughter, my niece.

SimonTrew wrote:
klsallee wrote:

More simple*: What is "normal"?

That"s simple, the normal is the right angle to the tangent as any fule kno, basik trigerrnemetry.

What is a right angle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mokllJ_Sz_g

:)

fluffy2560 wrote:

I've got deja-vu that we've had this discussion before.

Yes we have.

But the new blokes don't go back and read all the posts that have accumulated over the years. So we must lather, rinse and repeat.

(matrix shift)

Yes we have.

But the new blokes don't go back and read all the posts that have accumulated over the years. So we must lather, rinse and repeat.

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Usually it's alcohol problems.  We got this old bloke some Coca-Cola and water as I wasn't sure if his problem was low sugar or dehydration.  When he tasted the Coke he apparently complained it wasn't booze

I am an alcoholic. Coca cola does not have the hit that a bit ethanol has.

I am an alcoholic and I know when to say "no". But your patronising behaviour of offering a coca cola is not going to work. you are I think being extremely patronising to people who have a diffrent mental illness from your own.

You didn't read what I said.  You think it seems I was trying to get him off the booze.  That was never the purpose. Who am I to judge his alcohol consumption? Besides, you weren't there.  I've had some first aid training and my concern was he was incoherent. 

A lot of people do not recognise the difference between low blood sugar (actually blood glucose - BG) and  intoxication or even dehydration (common in older people especially on meds).  People have died because people think the person is drunk when their problem is actually low BG especially those consuming alcohol or not eating correctly.  It's well known almost diabetics (especially type 1s) that alcohol causes low BG especially to those who had too much and crash out. A shot of Coke would have brought him around within minutes if it was low blood sugar.   Clearly he didn't like Coke and had enough consciousness to show his distaste.

Cops are trained (or should be) to recognise the symptoms.  In the past, they used to dump them in the cells to "dry out" but then the "drunk" is found dead next morning.  Glucose ("sugar") fuels the brain. Low blood glucose will lead to confusion, unsteadiness and eventually a coma and then death.

Believe me matey, I know a lot about blood sugar.

fluffy2560 wrote:

we've attempted to help people - including one recently we found slumped in the road - we've found other things wrong with them.

Driving to town once, we came across a person splayed out on the road, with a bicycle nearby. We thought he had been hit by a car. I pulled over (many cars passing by did not bother to do anything except swerve around the body on the road while decelerating as little as possible to make that maneuver). I got out the warning triangle, and directed traffic. My wife called the ambulance. The ambulance and police arrived. It was quite a scene. Turned out, he was just drunk, and fell off his bike onto the road. He eventually just got up, got on his bike and peddled away. Swerving. With the police watching. Which I thought was pretty darn wrong as it is also illegal to be on bike drunk. So don't count on the cops doing diddly for people that really need help.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Oh well, cannot help everyone.

No you can't. And trying to be helpful probably does not actually help.

My professor when I took psychology 101 also had a private practice. And he once remarked that sometimes an alcoholic would come in and say "I bet you can not cure me", and my prof would say, "You are right, I can't'. The old adage is true: you can only help those who want to help themselves.

And I have also experienced the old adage, a dog will bite the hand that feeds it. Tried to "help" others, only for them to later turn on me. There is an element of "pride", where some people actually end up hating those that help them because those that helped them "know" how low they actually where, and that memory and all that know it must be eliminated. 

Yes, indeed. Oh, well.....

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Yes we have.

(matrix shift)

Yes we have.

Oh not again, we're clearly in a time loop once more.....how many times has that plot been ....errr....repeated.

Deja-vu is over rated....been there, done that.   Biggest issue I currently have is deja-vu and amnesia. But I've already forgotten I said that before.

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

But if one looks at Jimmy Saville videos on YouTube and see how he behaves you can see how creepy the guy really was. .

I am not sure quite how true that is. Fucking little girls is definitely a hanging offence in my opioion, but to hace a boy or girl sitting on your knee ijust what your grandfather did, thathat is not paeodphilia to have a boy or girl on your knee as the kinda monkey's uncle and give them a cuddle.

My Dad,his neice is now 22 he said the same to me, I do not dare touch her in case I get arrested. That is the hard bit. My Dad was scared to cuddle his granddaughter, my niece.

A hug and a cuddle is fine with family members, but when groping is involved, that's something else.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Yes we have.

(matrix shift)

Yes we have.

Its déja vu all over again,

SimCityAT wrote:

A hug and a cuddle is fine with family members, but when groping is involved, that's something else.

Well this is it, isn'"t it. I have hugged and kissed my niece since she just popped out of her mum's tum, I have changed her nappies and seen her bum. THat does not make me a paedophile it makes  me an uncle. Real paeodophiles, reintroduce capital punishment I will hang them myself that is disgusting. But the words "tar" and "brush" spring to mind.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I also like The Peter Principle which must have some connection to Basic Laws of Stupidity - i.e. incompetent could also mean stupidity.

No it isn't. The Peter Principle says that you will be promoted to exactly your level of incompetence.

I imagine I am the only one of the two of us that actually has a copy of "Parkinson's Law". (Nicolas Bentley drew the pictures)

I also tend to keep for presents to Hungarians copies of "How To Be An Alien" by George Mikes, Mikes Gyórgy, again Nicolas bentley drew the pictures. How to make a queue, "Continental people have sex, but the English have hot-water bottles".

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I also like The Peter Principle which must have some connection to Basic Laws of Stupidity - i.e. incompetent could also mean stupidity.

No it isn't. The Peter Principle says that you will be promoted to exactly your level of incompetence.

I imagine I am the only one of the two of us that actually has a copy of "Parkinson's Law". (Nicolas Bentley drew the pictures).

I know what the Peter Principle is. My thesis is that incompetence manifests as stupidity.

I worked with someone who clearly was incompetent and should never have been allow to reach the position he was in.   He himself was incompetent at that level and his actions were clearly very stupid. 

I was hoping he would be promoted sideways to head of toilet brushes or paperclips but alas his superiors were also incompetent.

At this point I fall back to the management guru known as Forrest Gump  - Stupid is as stupid does.

I experience Parkinson's Law regularly. Goes with deja-vu and this forum.

Wow, I take a day off of this site and miss all the fun.
Pervy uncles and all.

"Uncle Ernie," think allot of people had one of those in the family tree.
Creepy crawly...
Nothing so serious happened to me as a kid, once at age 12 my aunts husband got a bit touchy with me for a second.
I told my mom but because I knew the family dynamics, I waited until we got home from holiday to tell my mom.
My step-dad, mom little bro and myself had driven 3,000 miles at Xmas time through the rain and snow across the USA to visit my mom's beloved sister and we had to stay at her home for 2 weeks.
I didn't like how my uncle grabbed me on top on his knee and touched my chest for a second and said, "OH you got a little bug bite there".He had said come here and say hi to your uncle when my
mom and dad were right there in the next room, they didn't see and It happened so fast but I disliked him pretty much from then on in. It wasn't really being molested but it sure felt like it at the time.
He was a alcoholic at the time and we later found out he had done worst with his own 3 kids, 2 of them being boys...
Ok, he and my aunt found "Jesus"  years later and reformed themselves, but like most "holy rollers" they went over the deep end the other way.
No one was allowed to have a drink anywhere near them, no swearing, no this or that, they had been saved and it seemed like at any moment they would fall off the horse if anyone said boo around them.
Both have passed now and they were pretty nice to my husband and I when we lived in NM so water under the bridge, mostly.
My cousin is mad at me for mentioning how pervy her dad had been, sometimes I shouldn't open up my big mouth sometimes....
I was afraid to tell my mom and step-dad right when I was grabbed because I knew my mom would explode and I thought it would break her heart to have a fight with her BIL and hurt her sister to the core.
I took the high road at 12 but I sure did jump off his lap fast and avoided him the rest of the holiday.

My own father was a crazy sort of man, very fresh but with humor.My friends were afraid to visit my house as kids because when my dad visited( didn't live with us) he would always say something fresh to them.( problem with him was he was very handsome and all the adult women would throw themselves at him, hench my parents divorced)
My big friend the 5'10" tall one was about that large when we were 13. One day she comes over to my house and my dad is enjoying his beers at mom's kitchen table, she walks in and he invites her to sit on his lap.
My step-dad and mom had actually over the years been forgiving of my father's behavior and he was often at our home on weekends, would stay the night and later even brought over his girlfriends and later his HU wife to my mom's home for dinners and all holidays... weird even happened after we kids all grew up and left home, very modern or very crazy, not sure)
Her face turned every shade of red and she never would go back to my house if my dad was visiting.
Not sure if it was his generation that thought it was ok to do something like that or if he was just rude.
My friends father would never say such a thing to me.
I let it be known to all my friends that if they came to my house that they may hear more then they would like to . it was up to them if they wanted to expose themselves to insanity and alcoholics.
Ok, so I only had one friends sleep over... I was always invited to their homes. not many takers on staying at my house.
The only reason my 3 friends stayed at my house over night was because I had dislocated my knee and ruined another party, they didn't want me to go home hurt and by myself.
Took allot then to get friends over to my house, had to nearly kill myself first.
Fond memories...
Hmm, did I just join the "Me Too" movement?

fluffy2560 wrote:

I worked with someone who clearly was incompetent and should never have been allow to reach the position he was in.   He himself was incompetent at that level and his actions were clearly very stupid.

This reminds me of someone who worked with my Misses.

A part-time barmaid overnight went from her said job, to Bar and Restaurant manager of a seminar hotel. A castle set in the countryside at the weekend there would be many weddings. Anyhow as you can imagine being a castle it would have good cellars to store the beer, wine etc.... Only this stupid cow, would not go down to the cellar to check stock to order new stock. Would only be guesswork as she was scared to go down below. They would run out of stock pretty much every week and day when it was the busy season.

It didn't stop there, she was unable to make a rota. After a 12 hour shift, and climbing into bed at 6am you would think your staff would need their sleep. Oh, know, 10am and the phone would ring I've made a mistake can you come in early. In the end, it was too much and the misses quit. As complaints fell on deaf ears.

A year later, we found that the Bar & Restaurant manager had, in fact, got the boot and the GM, as both were banging each other, that's how she got the job in the first place.

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

This reminds me of someone who worked with my Misses.

A part-time barmaid overnight went from her said job, to Bar and Restaurant manager of a seminar hotel. A castle set in the countryside at the weekend there would be many weddings. Anyhow as you can imagine being a castle it would have good cellars to store the beer, wine etc.... Only this stupid cow, would not go down to the cellar to check stock to order new stock. Would only be guesswork as she was scared to go down below. They would run out of stock pretty much every week and day when it was the busy season.

It didn't stop there, she was unable to make a rota. After a 12 hour shift, and climbing into bed at 6am you would think your staff would need their sleep. Oh, know, 10am and the phone would ring I've made a mistake can you come in early. In the end, it was too much and the misses quit. As complaints fell on deaf ears.

A year later, we found that the Bar & Restaurant manager had, in fact, got the boot and the GM, as both were banging each other, that's how she got the job in the first place.

Happens allot with people getting good positions( pun!) by fraternizing with the boss or bosses.
Had a decent looking ( not beautiful) Russian women start working one day at my first casino job.
She we found out later had been a stripper in NYC, she knew how to flirt let's just say.
She was always getting the early out, being allowed to leave work early, getting the easy tables to work on and the boss was always near her table talking with her and helping her etc.
Well turned out the poor young floor man didn't know what hit him,
My co-workers thought it was funny that I had not known what everyone else had known until it was over with and she had moved to another job.
Turned out she was having an affair with that young floor man and had gotten pregnant from him. She got rid of her baby and broke his heart...
Too bad, he was rather a nice guy.
While working at that casino her mom came in one day, what a cow, was actually wearing a sort of chubby ladies Moo-Moo dress but had her very young non English speaking Russian boyfriend on her arm, like they were totally Russian mob molls...
Her older sister came in also one time, never saw such a short dancer in my life, her rear end was one of a few rear ends that made up a bumper display on many Vegas taxi cabs, an advertizement for a stripping review, only her bottom was on the poster. Well in person she just looked short and chubby,  not saying that out of spite or anything, just odd stuff.
Ok, so while she was dealing at my casino she bought herself a new house, 28 years old on a  training dealers pay buying a big house and a new Toyota Rave 4..Things that make you say, Hmmm.
I didn't go to the party, I was already 43 years old and most of my co-workers were in their 20's, I let the kids go and was not interested in any sort of parties.
Well a funny young dealer who I always had a good laugh with went to the party along with many others from our job.
The next day she told me what happened... Wow, glad I didn't go.
She greeted her guests wearing a sort of night gown and had photo books all over the place of herself wearing gowns and silk things etc. Like Madonna'coffee table book sort of photos...
Then in her heavy Russian accent she told her guests she would dance for them, "Like ve doo in RRussia" she stated to do a sort of strip tease dance at her own party!
My friend said it got very weird and after that some of the male workers no longer liked the Russian lady as much, they lost respect for her. Many of the guest walked out of the party when the dancing started.Can't say what happened but someone had to pay for the house and car....
I didn't like her for another reason. That being my older friend who was one of the very first female games dealers in Vegas often worked part-time at our casino.
She and a guy had a agency that found part-time jobs for gaming dealers between events. So if a big fight was in town and a casino needed extra workers for a night or two they found quilified dealers to help out on those busy times.
I even worked with them a few times, fun to work in a different casino and see how things were there.
Anyways, one day on break I heard that Russian women mentioning how old and ugly my friend was and how it turned her stomach to look at her, just a mean young women, I about told her off but since I had to work with her everyday I thought it better to just stay away from her.
Ok later she moved to Treasure Island and then landed a job at Caesars Place dealing baccarat in the private area for high rollers.
No one and I mean no one lands such a job without doing a few "under the table" deals to get a job like that in such a short time, like within one year of becoming a dealer, unheard of really.
She was in a law suit last I heard with Caesar's because they fired her... Wonder why, perhaps she messed up on a game or she tried her dirty tricks on the wrong person.
In any case, once you blow Caesar's you're pretty much done with any high paying dealing jobs.
Who knows maybe she is now also on the back of a taxi cab with her bottom photo like her sister...
Makes me sort of happy now to know she is pushing middle age and is probably showing sings of wear and tear and getting old and ugly herself, such a mean spirited person deserves to be miserable.

Just to clear things up.
Forgot what casino had the strip review that this mean Russian women's sister "danced" in, think it was the Rivera, now closed down.
Ari brushed bottoms on billboards and on the back to taxi cabs... My husband even drove that bottom around a few times when he was a taxi driver in Vegas.
5 or 6 bottoms in a row wearing only a string bikini bottom...
Not trying to be mean but when her sister came in to say hi to her at work, her sister was only a good 2 inches taller then a "little person". Not cute at all either, maybe her bottom was the only thing she had going on for herself.
What upset me so much about that Russian women dissing my friend was my freinds and her partner had actually helped her get hired  through their agency.
The young floor man who had gotten her pregnant wanted to marry her and have the baby.
Just so many horrible things about her that she as it turns out is the one who turns stomachs.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I didn't like how my uncle grabbed me on top on his knee and touched my chest for a second and said, "OH you got a little bug bite there".He had said come here and say hi to your uncle when my
mom and dad were right there in the next room, they didn't see and It happened so fast but I disliked him pretty much from then on in. It wasn't really being molested but it sure felt like it at the time.
He was a alcoholic at the time and we later found out he had done worst with his own 3 kids, 2 of them being boys...

I would say that was definitely being molested.  I am pretty much of the opinion that a couple of friends, a baseball bats, balaclavas and a midnight rendezvous with that person would be in order. That or the cops.  I reckon that assault alone be worth at least a 5 year stretch.  For the other kids, probably another 10 years on top of it.   

Mrs Fluffy knew of a couple who "beat evil" out of their kids.  They saw everyone is being born evil or sinners.  Religious nutters. I can only hope someone saved those kids from a life of abuse.  Even some of the relatives have twisted minds all caused by religiously related mental problems. I reckon they are delusional.   Religious leaders have a lot to answer for.  Crimes against humanity even.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I would say that was definitely being molested.  I am pretty much of the opinion that a couple of friends, a baseball bats, balaclavas and a midnight rendezvous with that person would be in order. That or the cops.  I reckon that assault alone be worth at least a 5 year stretch.  For the other kids, probably another 10 years on top of it.   

Mrs Fluffy knew of a couple who "beat evil" out of their kids.  They saw everyone is being born evil or sinners.  Religious nutters. I can only hope someone saved those kids from a life of abuse.  Even some of the relatives have twisted minds all caused by religiously related mental problems. I reckon they are delusional.   Religious leaders have a lot to answer for.  Crimes against humanity even.

Yes, I was really put out about old "uncle Mickey" and his grabby hands.
I just about ran to my mom and spilled the beans right then and there but I really was both shocked and knew it would hurt my mom's relationship with her sister forever and I couldn't live with that.
many times kids are also not taken seriously, look at the Mc Martain school abuse in Ca. and there are several other schools with small children who have come forward but still nothing was done about it.
Think that happened in the early 1980's in Ca when I lived there. I even as a parent only heard a bit of it on the nightly news and didn't think it had anything much to do with me or my life.
Wish I was more awake back then because that's something I would protest about.
Child abuse and animal abuse have no mercy to the victims and the perps should also have no mercy.

SimonTrew wrote:

The Peter Principle says that you will be promoted to exactly your level of incompetence.

I actually read Dr. Peter's book. That is the basic principle. But there are also other considerations why people are promoted, or "pseudo promoted" as explained by Dr. Peter. Such as you can be promoted above your level of incompetence by others wanting to prove that they were themselves not incompetent by promoting the person in the first place. AKA: "kicking them upstairs".

SimCityAT wrote:

..A year later, we found that the Bar & Restaurant manager had, in fact, got the boot and the GM, as both were banging each other, that's how she got the job in the first place.

Banging a co-worker never works out.

Mrs Fluffy and I met at work and we've been together 23 years and have two kids. 

And we're really happy with each other.

I rest my case.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Mrs Fluffy and I met at work and we've been together 23 years and have two kids. 

I rest my case.

:/

So, are you are being sardonic?  :cool:

Hard to tell, if one does not include emojis.  ;)

SimonTrew wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Oh yes I get that, "oh that new bloke" (magyarul) when I have lived in Hungary for five yeears. Oh, you are that new bloke. Well you have seen me every day for six months now.

That is not what is meant by "the new bloke" in Hungary. It is a deep cultural thing. Especially in villages. It does not matter if they meet you every day for 20 years. You are still "not born in the village". You are an "outsider". Period.

klsallee wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:
klsallee wrote:

That is not what is meant by "the new bloke" in Hungary. It is a deep cultural thing. Especially in villages. It does not matter if they meet you every day for 20 years. You are still "not born in the village". You are an "outsider". Period.

True,my husband and his family have been in Hungary since Arpad but as he is from Budapest he gets the old cold shoulder sometimes in villages as well as any foreign born person.
A few exceptions have happened of course, we had a great time a few months back when we visited NE Hungary where my husband's father's family came from. So many helpful people there and really a peaceful place.
I hear allot on this site that ex-pats in villages are having a great time, like the locals are treating them nice etc. but believe me, what they say behind closed doors would burn your ears probably.

12 years or so back before so many "outsiders" were moving to Hungary from the west we wanted to take my BIL and SIL to dinner at a nice place we had eaten at a few times during the day but take them for a nice Saturday night dinner instead.
Total different crowd on a locals night out on a Saturday.
I swear it was weird. I was the only ex-pat, everyone else is Hungarian , my in-laws are locals middle aged from Erd so not overly posh or flashy people.
We walked in the door and everyone stopped and looked like we landed from Mars. The staff didn't even acknowledge us. We stood there longer then we wanted to  because we had our family with us. A good 4 to 5 mins we walked out without anyone greeting us or asking us to wait etc.
Just a mess of a night, drove into Budapest but had no reservations at the places we had wanted to eat at, finally we found a place that was OK but not as fancy or nice as we had wanted to go to.
Lesson learned get a reservation and don't expect good service.
Sometimes they seem ruder to their own people because of a thing about city people vs country people, so silly since to me the entire country is tiny and not much difference between people that I can tell.

Uncle Ernie, you mean the Eletronic Random Number Instrumentnig Engine, that used to  run the premium bonds,

fluffy2560 wrote:

I experience Parkinson's Law regularly. Goes with deja-vu and this forum.

It's déja vu all over again.

It was very good of God to stick me and the missus together, so we can make two people miserable instead of four.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

That's a good point, although if I didn't make it back, I'd be doing something i loved.

Drowning?

Can think of worst ways to go... drowning in debt for one.

In the midst of life we are in debt.

SimonTrew wrote:

Uncle Ernie, you mean the Eletronic Random Number Instrumentnig Engine, that used to  run the premium bonds,

Was thinking more on the lines of Tommy, the rock opera from The Who.
Been listening to, "Who's Next," that was a and still is a great LP.
Takes me back to the summer of 69.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

I had a little gramophone, I'd wind it round and round
And with a sharpish needle it made a cheerful sound
But then they AMPLIFIED IT, it was much LOUDER then
And  you sharpen fibre needles, to make it soft again.

Alll my records got stolen by the crack addict to feed his habit. That is the problem with drugs, that they cost money. I had a stackload of 78s and so on that I would listen to, all went to feed his drug habit. I do booze and fags but I will not touch any of that shit, that leaves you homeless and stealing money. He stole a thousand quid off me one month I didnt notice, Craig where is my bank card. They are very clever these coke addicts.

So I don't have any records or CDs any more. He sold them on the market to pay for his crack addiction.

Oh, Canada has legalised Cannabis. I have not seen it yet but was quite expecting the canadian flag, the maple leaf in the middle, to be replaced by a cannabis leaf. I was expecting that to happen about two days ago, do I have to do it myself (I do not smoke cannabis)

SimonTrew wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

I had a little gramophone, I'd wind it round and round
And with a sharpish needle it made a cheerful sound
But then they AMPLIFIED IT, it was much LOUDER then
And  you sharpen fibre needles, to make it soft again.

Alll my records got stolen by the crack addict to feed his habit. That is the problem with drugs, that they cost money. I had a stackload of 78s and so on that I would listen to, all went to feed his drug habit. I do booze and fags but I will not touch any of that shit, that leaves you homeless and stealing money. He stole a thousand quid off me one month I didnt notice, Craig where is my bank card. They are very clever these coke addicts.

So I don't have any records or CDs any more. He sold them on the market to pay for his crack addiction.

That is sad. My sister got robbed in Hollywood once. She wasn't home but they stole a really nice pearl necklace our mom had given her, really nice stand of pearls...Mom got them in the 1940's.
That was around the late 60's... Maybe someone needed some LSD?
I never spent money on drugs,only in school used to buy speed from a kid, whites they were called, 10 cents each, only dollar or two max was enough for a good few weeks of spedding.
Speed used to calm me down and relax me.
Any form of social drugs were given to me, guess that's one perk of being a girl.
never had a drug habit in my life, only did it for fun and that got old fast.
Only habit I have really is exercise...
Nice day for a long walk, will make that part of my exercise for the day.
Lots of my old LP's got broken but I still have a ton in storage, most still have my name written on them from the old party days of school where everyone brought a LP or two and we played them all night long.
Mostly Stones LP's... Used to be a huge fan of theirs in the day...
Last saw them play here years back in Budapest. Not exactly as great as the first time I saw them in 71 but still was allot of fun.
Nothing will be as fun as that first concert with my BFF and her brother and about 6 of his college friends.
Was really special because it was so hard to get tickets for that show.
My mom wouldn't let me stay over night at Ticket Tron to get in line to buy tickets when they started to sell Stones tickets for a month off concert.
My BFF and her bro and a few of his friends spent the night in line only to get bum rushed in the morning when the sales started.
she was pushed and shoved around and some jerky guy was feeling her up, grabbing her etc. but it was such a tight crowd that her boyfriend and brother and his friends couldn't defend her or pull her away from this freak.
She started crying and screaming out of anger and the women doing the sales looked at her and thought , She must be a huge Stones fan that's why she is crying her eyes out. She waved over my BFF somehow and she and her brother, boyfriend and the rest of the group got to jump the line and buy tickets.
Only 2 tickets a person were sold.
Of course everyone had someone in mind they would sale their extra ticket to.
My BFF knew I was the biggest Stones fan out of everyone so she made sure I got her extra ticket.
All our school mates wanted to go but it was only the two of us who scored tickets for the show.
Great memory and a really fun time. Drugs were involved, at least some good smoke was involved, I barely remember the concert except for the laughs we had.
If I can recall correctly the concert started off with the song, " Rip this Joint" and that set us off on a non stop laughing spree that lasted the entire concert.
She is still my BFF, time before last in Vegas she took a bus from Ca. for 6 hours to see me.
She brought me a gift, her very last LP in her collection, ",Get your Ya-Ya's Out" a live concert recording of the Stones. Loyal friend for life.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I rest my case.

I am not sure if I'm sardonic or sarcastic.  I don't even really know the difference. I would go for sarcastic.  Anyway, I think a lot of people meet their partners at work and it works out just fine. 

I guess I meant to say Mrs Fluffy and I are the exception to the rule proposed unless because errr....because that's also a rule it's a tautology.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I rest my case.

I am not sure if I'm sardonic or sarcastic.  I don't even really know the difference. I would go for sarcastic.  Anyway, I think a lot of people meet their partners at work and it works out just fine. 

I guess I meant to say Mrs Fluffy and I are the exception to the rule proposed unless because errr....because that's also a rule it's a tautology.

My sister met her long time boyfriend who wanted to marry her, she got cold feet and left him.
He was her lawyer , not suppose to mix with his clients but whatever, it happens.
He was super nice guy and his new wife was put through law school after they married, my sister would of been able to do the same but her freedom meant more then a secure life.
I knew a lady in Vegas who married her boss. He was married at the time and she was his secretary.
He was from Germany and so was his ex wife, he was about 20 some years this women's senior, classic tale, he married the younger women and left his wife and kids.
I used to talk allot to a super cute little lady at my gym. We worked out next to each other and she would tell me all about herself.
A nice women but on the vainish side, willing to work though and nobody's fool.
Knew her for many years, at one gym she met a older super rich man and married him.
Trips , vacations all sorts of luxury came her way. There was a price to pay for it though.
She happen to find herself at another gym that i had joined and had divorced the wealthy man.
Told me how miserable he made her life.
She had to look perfect at all times, always ready to serve his guests and he never really gave her any money, he would pick out her clothes etc. and tell her how to dress and what to say, almost like a prisoner.He would hurt her in places that wouldn't show if she didn't follow the program.
She got away, didn't get a dime out of him, only a ring or two she took with her.
She was renting a room in house with several other people and trying to work and move out on her own to start her life over. Still was cute but had lost several years of her life on trying to be comfortable.
Money can't buy you love I suppose it the lesson there.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Money can't buy you love I suppose it the lesson there.

Apart from being a great song from The Beatles, is that really true?

From the rich guy's perspective I suppose his "abuse" was his form of love maybe.  So maybe he felt like it was love but she hated it (clearly).  If she didn't have any other skills she could have improved herself.   

I was just some news story about mutually consented arranged marriages.  I mean ones with consenting partners.  Some of these seem to work even though dowries are or could be involved.   

Not that I would advocate it without checks and balances - e.g. stop people trafficking.