Absolutely Anything Else

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Of course I sound crazy, time will tell though, hope I am losing it and everything is hunky dory.

There is nothing wrong with being "concerned". Most issues in life have risks. The issue is to differentiate between clinically proven affects and just excessive hype and misinformation. Electro-magnetic radiation is pretty well researched and understood. When used and applied correctly and appropriately, there is little risk.

That of course does not mean such things are always applied appropriately and correctly (ergo -- scandals occur). But knowing when it is or is not, unfortunately, does require some expertise. Which is why it is so important to support independent professionals and all the appropriate reviews, research and inquires from same.

Sad to say if the gov. decided to read my mind, it would just be a void.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

wear a head shaped mesh box

I think a tin foil hat would be easier to construct.  ;)

But of course, be aware, all of these devices help the government read your mind:(

I didn't realise there was actual documentation on this.   The efficacy of tin foil hats must be incredibly low compared to a mesh based Faraday cage. 

Maybe it's easier just to get some chain mail.    People might think one is less weird than the tin foil hat. Surprisingly cheap but relatively heavy at just under 10kg.

On the other hand one could just accept the mind control, be part of the system and bide your time.  And where possible, work from within to interfere with the system - remove all the staples from the stapler, blunt the pencils and keep changing the clocks randomly.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Sad to say if the gov. decided to read my mind, it would just be a void.

Are you sure?  Ever seen The Manchurian Candidate?

Seen that,don't want anyone turning on my switches.
Mind control....
Getting paranoid now.
I'm not too overly worried about mind control didn't work too well for me in school so I am a lost case subject.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Mind control....
Getting paranoid now.
I'm not too overly worried about mind control didn't work too well for me in school so I am a lost case subject.

How do you know you aren't part of a mind control experiment right now - making you say that?

I obviously am because Mrs Fluffy and I are working on the kitchen and someone or something keeps telling me to drill holes in the wrong places despite measuring it accurately.  It can only be the CIA, NSA, MI6, OV, Soros, KFC and the KGB messing with our heads.

fluffy2560 wrote:

KFC

After all.... their spices where "secret". Who knows what those spices where /cough/ mind controlling oregano /cough/.  :/

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

KFC

After all.... their spices where "secret". Who knows what those spices where /cough/ mind controlling oregano /cough/.  :/

Exactly.  Same at BK and McDs.  What is it they put in those sauces? 

The Colonel could be visually the archetype James Bond villain.  Southern Gentleman, conservative, old school and also very rich.   HQ in an volcano shaped like a giant chicken in Kentucky with a helicopter landing pad inside.   

General Midwinter or is it Colonel Sanders?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1fjVmwcjMbc/T0SGYwNcSzI/AAAAAAAAKsY/iaxkk_s38og/s400/BillionDollar14.jpg

And.....a KFC white house?...

https://louisvilleboulevardcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/yum-building-smaller.jpg?w=527&h=351

I rest my case as I'm getting peckish....

Let's just say you don't really want to know what their "secret sauce or spices are".
If you did, you would never eat there again.
My son as a teenager worked up and down on long major blvd. in Rio Rancho, NM at every food food joint they had.
He banned me from eating at KFC ,
McDonald's wasn't much better. He thought it was fun at first to eat all his meals at McDonald's for 3 straight weeks.
When his bowels turned bright green he stopped cold turkey eating junk food.
Scared the living "c***" out of him to put it nicely.
Mind control, been there, done that, my older sister loved messing with my head, she watched way too much Star Trek and Twilight Zone growing up.
She loved twisting reality and confusing everyone.
She was one of the only people I ever knew who could understand John Lennon"s poetry. She would even draw like he did, they shared the same BD Oct. 9.
In the mid 90's in NM males were still wearing long hair, my son was going through that rocker punk phase as a teenager. Probably rebelling against me because I cut hair.
He grew his hair almost down to his waist, it was really pretty I must say, bright straight red with a bit of curl at the bottom.
He was hired at Mc Donald's with that long hair as long as it was tired up.
2 weeks into his first job in his life, they upped him to assistant night manager.
He only had to cut his hair off.
We cut it in a nice short style and less then a week later he just upped and quit working there.
Poor hair.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

McDonald's wasn't much better

I always refer to it as "A little Scottish restaurant I know". (We ate there more than we should while I was putting in the new kitchen. I have two kitchens now (and christend new double oven yesterday, roast leg of pork with roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding English gravy - not Southern US gravy - and some nice fresh greens) but at that time I was putting together both at the same time, so we ate  at  "the little Scottish restaurant" more than we should. But if you choose carefully it is not particularly unhealthy. Then again, I tend to just have a happy meal and diet coke to get some calories in me and give the toy to the parent of a child who happens to be in the restaurant.

I think I see what you mean with these big food chains pushing stuff onto children rather than teaching them to eat healthily. But I would dispute you,  the big chains like Burger Kiraly can and do telly you exactly what is in them because they are made the same thing in their millions and billions, it is small restaurants that can't be expected to know how many calories etc since they make it a bit differently every day.  (When you're physically working hard you NEED the calories/energy, it is no question of my accidentally turning into a tub of lard/szerteszir)

I got some frozen pizza from ALDI  to bung in the freezer for emergencies, and the packets in ALDI have that have that peculiar mix of German and English and Hungarian that is so prevalent there, and it is "Tex-Mex Pizza". Now they do not have enchiladas or chili beans on it but some powdered paprika so I am kinda just waiting to try out what ALDI thinks a Tex-Mex Pizza is. The term sounds kinda oxymoronic to me to start with.

There IS a good kinda touristy Scottish restaurant in the middle of Bp. for good steaks etc, and I wouldn't say overpricey considering the service etc, called the Sir William (not the FitzWilliam of course or MacWilliam, that would be going too far.... it is not overly pricey I think considering it is in the posh part of town etc. I mean it is tourist prices but not RIDICULOUS tourist prices. very very nice steaks but you have to put up looking at pictures of men in kilts etc.

Is there a "food" topic where this is more appropriate to say? I am only just getting used to how these fora work.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

2 weeks into his first job in his life, they upped him to assistant night manager.
We cut it in a nice short style and less then a week later he just upped and quit working there.
Poor hair.

That kind of behaviour - get your hair cut - would never be acceptable in Europe. 

I once had occasion to come up against a company called EDS which used to be part of GM.  My employer at the time was possibly going to be taken over by EDS. 

They had a policy of no gays, adulterers and beards - all personal choices of course and individual freedoms.   

This was the edict handed down by Ross Perot Senior - yes him, former presidential candidate. 

Needless to say, many employees were of the liberal persuasion and were very disgruntled at the possibility that Ross Perot would come anywhere near us with his behavioural BS.   

As luck would have it, it never came to anything  because if it had, whole departments would have walked.  Not that Ross Perot Sr would have cared.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Poor hair.

That kind of behaviour - get your hair cut - would never be acceptable in Europe. 

I once had occasion to come up against a company called EDS which used to be part of GM.  My employer at the time was possibly going to be taken over by EDS. 

They had a policy of no gays, adulterers and beards - all personal choices of course and individual freedoms.   

This was the edict handed down by Ross Perot Senior - yes him, former presidential candidate. 

Needless to say, many employees were of the liberal persuasion and were very disgruntled at the possibility that Ross Perot would come anywhere near us with his behavioural BS.   

As luck would have it, it never came to anything  because if it had, whole departments would have walked.  Not that Ross Perot Sr would have cared.

There is a comic song called  "Get Your Hair Cut" sung by Bernard Cribbens, I am going by memory here.

I worked for many years in pubs in the UK and I have always had short hair -- well until now that I have very little short hair at all! But part of Elf and Safety would do that, in most of Europe. The reason I pick a beer glass up at the bottom is that you don't want your fingers on the top. Not only is it unpleasant for the customer, butyoua re transfgerring your germs from your fingers (and you wash your hands all the time but germs/bacteria grow incredibly quickly and also you have natural body oils in your fingers, otherwise the glass would slip out of your hand) onto the customer\s glass, you pick them up at the bottom so your fingerprints are not at the top of the glass. You wash and clean in a local quiet pub at least ten times an evening. If I went for a cigarette (at that time you could smoke in pubs but not behind the bar) I would wash my hands in the pub washer which is very hot water and got them perfectly clean, then go to the toilet and come back with wet hands so that customers could SEE that I washed my hands. (Because it is hand-to-mouth, i.e. my own hands to my own mouth, and any diseases on my own hands or mouth get transferred to customer).

Not that any customer ever asked, didn't need  to.  You pick up plates underneath not at the sides with your fingers, you balance them on your elbow. You don't want greasy long hair in your burger do you, also if you are working over a fryer and you drop your long hair into it bang you will lose your long hair. It is all about transfer of germs and diseases. I am not at elf and safety nut but these are basic rules of health and hygiene.

I totally agree with you people should be able to dress how they like and so on, but there are limits. When you go to the dentist, you expect the dentist to wear a face mask and be in a clean coat, don't you?

No gays is a ridiculous policy, I agree. As that has nothing to do with the job. No adulterers, similarly. No beards, may or may not be reasonable. Beards harbour a huge amount of germs and bits of dirt (I wear a beard). Were I working in the food industry I would cut it off or wear a mask. But I think that is a fine line. Certainly no gays and no adulterers is ridiculous. I don't like adultereres at all, and I have known many but I just don't like cheats. That is absolutely no reason for denying someone a job, as it has nothing to d o with the job.

"No dogs, blacks or Irishmen".

I worked for a company that at that time was called British Aerospace, now BAE Systems, on the defence/defense side.  We din't particularly like to kill our colleagues, we preferred to kill people of other nations. Basic cleanliness was very important because you really do not want to get your hair caught in a high-revolving milling machine or trap your legs under a bit of loose cable that some idiot hasn't been bothered to tidy up. I worked for a cable making company after that and you are dealing with copper at whatever copper melts at, 1000 degrees farhenheitish, you don't want to get near that stuff without a bit of protectective gear when you are dealing with copper baths the size of a swimming pool full of melted copper. I have a certain healthy regard for the laws of nature. My missus has fairly short hair, shoulder length, but long hair is really a very big safety risk. People are forever coming a cropper with getting it caught in looms and so on. I worked in clean rooms for a while and you have separate lint-free coats etc and you wear masks so you don't get your BREATH on the product. Far cleaner than a surgeon's place of work.

As for no gays and stuff, that is just absolutely ridiculous, Some of my best friends know gay people of both sexes, and they are nearly human now.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

wear a head shaped mesh box

But of course, be aware, all of these devices help the government read your mind:(

I didn't realise there was actual documentation on this.   The efficacy of tin foil hats must be incredibly low compared to a mesh based Faraday cage. 

Maybe it's easier just to get some chain mail.    People might think one is less weird than the tin foil hat. Surprisingly cheap but relatively heavy at just under 10kg.

On the other hand one could just accept the mind control, be part of the system and bide your time.  And where possible, work from within to interfere with the system - remove all the staples from the stapler, blunt the pencils and keep changing the clocks randomly.

Oh, Urban Dictionary, the unreliable source. I think you mean a nice gauze tin foil mesh (like you use on the top of a Bunsen Burner etc). A bit of metal gauze like is exactly that, a Faraday cage. Fencers (the sport Fencing) use them all the time, and in Olympics etc they have it connected to control system so that when one's epée touches the other it feeds the very small amount of current through to detect a "touché". You don't need heavy metal just that the gauze mesh is smaller than the wavelength of the radiation, tickety-boo, Faraday cage.

One of the reasons that steel-curtain buildings have crappy Internet  or mobile phone signals is ithe builders seem to forget or have not been taught what a Faraday cage is. Won't let anything in or out, no point putting an aerial on the top, you have to somehow get signal in and out. Aircraft make extremely good Faraday cages and forever being struck by lightning without falling out of the sky, wraps straight round em (more of a problem with modern composite construction). I have never quite found this out but at least two reasons that they tell you to turn your mobile phone off is that first it just won't work (unless they have outside aerial as many do now) second it just annoys everyone else (as it does everywhere). It has nothing to do with it bringing the plane down, if I thought a mobile phone would bring a plane down I wouldn't be on that plane. Third reason that your mobile won't work on a plane, or didn't used to, is the poor old mast stations had not worked out why the mobile phone keeps moving at 600mph. LTE the new system I worked on, should be able to keep up with it, but on previous network technologies the plane was going quicker than the handover between the masts and the poor old thing is constantly trying to work out where you are. It will pump up the power to the max when everyone turns their phone off or on thus actually sending more radio radiation to the poor plane to try to find it. Patently, that is not going to work, becase a big double-walled airliner made of ally and steel acts as a very good Faraday cage. So certainly asking you to turn your mobile phone off has nothing to do with aircraft safety, It is mostly to do with annoying your fellow passengers, I think.

My son having to cut his hair was because he went corp.
and became "management material".
NM has allot of long haired men, lots of native people who don't cut their hair.
I used to do hair in Hawaii and some of the native Hawaiian dancing girls had to get permission before cutting their long hair, a religious thing there with long hair dancing etc.
We owned a small machine shop in NM .
My husband allowed our son to do some easy work on a huge lathe.
His hair had to be tied back.
One day he left him alone, space case 17 years old.
He forgot to tie his hair back and was busy at the machine.
My husband  walked in,about had a heart attack, didn't say a word because he would of screamed.
He shut off the emergency switch and grabbed our son by his hair and threw him out of the shop and locked the door.
He was so upset about what could of happened if his hair had gotten caught in the spinning machine.
We knew right then and there our boy was never going to be a machinist.

SimonTrew wrote:

I worked for a company that at that time was called British Aerospace, now BAE Systems, on the defence/defense side.  We din't particularly like to kill our colleagues, we preferred to kill people of other nations. Basic cleanliness was very important because you really do not want to get your hair caught in a high-revolving milling machine or trap your legs under a bit of loose cable that some idiot hasn't been bothered to tidy up. I worked for a cable making company after that and you are dealing with copper at whatever copper melts at, 1000 degrees farhenheitish, you don't want to get near that stuff without a bit of protectective gear when you are dealing with copper baths the size of a swimming pool full of melted copper. I have a certain healthy regard for the laws of nature. My missus has fairly short hair, shoulder length, but long hair is really a very big safety risk. People are forever coming a cropper with getting it caught in looms and so on. I worked in clean rooms for a while and you have separate lint-free coats etc and you wear masks so you don't get your BREATH on the product. Far cleaner than a surgeon's place of work.

As for no gays and stuff, that is just absolutely ridiculous, Some of my best friends know gay people of both sexes, and they are nearly human now.

Obviously in those H&S areas of concern, it's easy enough to put your hair up and wear a protective hat of some description.  Not a biggie if the rules are followed.   

It's the principle of thinking very carefully of the consequences of not getting it right before you do anything involving machinery or electricity.   

My Dad drummed that into us all.  Don't take short cuts with safety.  Basic skills sets for anyone fiddling with stuff.   

I used to have very short hair in the military because it's easier to keep clean and maintain.  No hairdressers or hair care products in the middle of a muddy forest or drainage ditch.  Not a problem in the burbs though. We've even got hot and cold running water and flush toilets.

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Oh, Urban Dictionary, the unreliable source. I think you mean a nice gauze tin foil mesh (like you use on the top of a Bunsen Burner etc). A bit of metal gauze like is exactly that, a Faraday cage. Fencers (the sport Fencing) use them all the time, and in Olympics etc they have it connected to control system so that when one's epée touches the other it feeds the very small amount of current through to detect a "touché". You don't need heavy metal just that the gauze mesh is smaller than the wavelength of the radiation, tickety-boo, Faraday cage.

One of the reasons that steel-curtain buildings have crappy Internet  or mobile phone signals is ithe builders seem to forget or have not been taught what a Faraday cage is. Won't let anything in or out, no point putting an aerial on the top, you have to somehow get signal in and out. Aircraft make extremely good Faraday cages and forever being struck by lightning without falling out of the sky, wraps straight round em (more of a problem with modern composite construction). I have never quite found this out but at least two reasons that they tell you to turn your mobile phone off is that first it just won't work (unless they have outside aerial as many do now) second it just annoys everyone else (as it does everywhere). It has nothing to do with it bringing the plane down, if I thought a mobile phone would bring a plane down I wouldn't be on that plane. Third reason that your mobile won't work on a plane, or didn't used to, is the poor old mast stations had not worked out why the mobile phone keeps moving at 600mph. LTE the new system I worked on, should be able to keep up with it, but on previous network technologies the plane was going quicker than the handover between the masts and the poor old thing is constantly trying to work out where you are. It will pump up the power to the max when everyone turns their phone off or on thus actually sending more radio radiation to the poor plane to try to find it. Patently, that is not going to work, becase a big double-walled airliner made of ally and steel acts as a very good Faraday cage. So certainly asking you to turn your mobile phone off has nothing to do with aircraft safety, It is mostly to do with annoying your fellow passengers, I think.

The reason they don't want you to use a phone on a plane is the potential for it to interfere with the compass.  These days, assuming you're on a modern plane, it's hardly relevant as they are using GPS as well as other techniques. However, in a back to basic flying situation in say Alaska where there are fewer navigation aids, resorting to the compass is a necessity as well as looking out of the window.   In any case, in any full airliner there are usually a minimum of 5 phones operational at any one time because people have forgotten or don't care. 

The problem with phones these days are they are all or nothing.  As they are all digital, the data rate has to be sufficient to put together the original speech.  Without enough data, it'll just fail or sound like screeching.  With analogue it was always possible to hear something even when there was a low signal.

I've been on a plane and have forgotten to turn off my mobile.  When I looked at it, it was basically a list of SMS messages welcoming me to lots of mobile networks along my route.   That's not that surprising really because we were at say 33,000 ft (6 miles high) and that's hardly any distance for a mobile.  I am surprised however that they are not using sufficiently directional antennas. 

As for LTE, they can use smaller and smaller cells to improve coverage and speed.  The timing signals and power give the distance and direction to the phone and therefore the nearest cell.  And one of the technologies (GPRS? forgotten which!) which gives a double data rate by using two cells at the same time.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Obviously in those H&S areas of concern, it's easy enough to put your hair up and wear a protective hat of some description.  Not a biggie if the rules are followed.   

It's the principle of thinking very carefully of the consequences of not getting it right before you do anything involving machinery or electricity.   

My Dad drummed that into us all.  Don't take short cuts with safety.  Basic skills sets for anyone fiddling with stuff.   

I used to have very short hair in the military because it's easier to keep clean and maintain.  No hairdressers or hair care products in the middle of a muddy forest or drainage ditch.  Not a problem in the burbs though. We've even got hot and cold running water and flush toilets.

May I please give you my enduring respect. Having worked for a defence company for nine years done my apprenticeship there I know how the Army treats its people amd totally agree. I was never in Army, was civvy, but was always treated with the utmost respect, when you have live rounds of things that go off at about three times the speed of sound, firing off the edge of essex, you have to have.

Thank you very much for serving our country. The missus and I always attend a Remembrance Day service and have not only put into a poppy collection but run round the villages asking dpes anyone want a poppy for the Royal British Legion to collect (which is a delight, everyone is pleased to see you).  I donated all my pub wages from Christmas from New Year to Royal British Legion and am a bit ashamed cos they sent the pub a thank-you and the publican (I was just under-manager) asked if it was OK that the thank-you got put  up in the bar. Charity is something of a private matter,others donate to RNLI and stuff, and that is fine by me, but mine always goes to the Royal British Legion. (I give to other causes too but that is the one dearsest to my heart.) We re-use poppies because obviously you can't get them in Hungary but keep them to wear on Remembrance Week.  I was offered but had to turn down to run the RBL Club in Histon, Cambridgeshire which is enormous has a dance hall etc. (well before the days of Strictly Come Dancing), But I just could not afford to run it, unfortunately.

Thank you for serving. I know it sounds trite written down but I sincerely mean it. Thank you once again. They shall not grow old, as we that are left grown old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. but at the going down of the Sun, and in the morning. WE WILL REMEMBER THEM. I DO REMEMBER THEM.

Thank you for your service to our country.

SimonTrew wrote:

......but was always treated with the utmost respect, when you have live rounds of things that go off at about three times the speed of sound, firing off the edge of essex, you have to have.

Ever since  firing all this stuff, I've got an healthy aversion to weapons.   I also had my leg compressed by an anti-aircraft gun and I am sure that's why my knee is so dodgy.   Putting your weapon up and firing at target is one thing. Pointing it at someone and meaning it is another.  But that's what the military do.   I also did some Northern Ireland training.  There's quite a bit of desensitisation going on with that. People being blown up, shot and tortured.  Not something you want.  They don't really want you to think too hard about that and for it to become automatic.  It's really dog eat dog.  If you don't kill them, they'll kill you. So bang bang bang here's the good news.

SimonTrew wrote:

Thank you very much for serving our country. The missus and I always attend a Remembrance Day service.....We re-use poppies because obviously you can't get them in Hungary but keep them to wear on Remembrance Week.....Thank you for your service to our country.

Nice of you to say that and thanks but I'm not really that much of a soldier. Sure I did some time but not a lot and luckily avoided anyone shooting back.  I'm more grateful to my Dad - age 93 almost 94 - who did his bit in WW2.  He was relatively close to the fighting but as he was technical, he was following the battlefront as it advanced.  Trying to get him to talk about it is quite hard work.  Shame really as we should all hear the stories.

But more importantly you can get poppies here - at the British Embassy.  Also, there are poppies at the Commonwealth War Grave at Solymar (next to Auchan) close to Budapest which always has a service close to the 11th November. They say when on the British Embassy's web site. 

I've been Solymar several times with the kids and Mrs Fluffy but we don't go each year as sometimes we've not been available. We've seen up to say, 100 people there. Most of the graves are aircrew but some sailors from other conflicts.  Most of them seem to be from NZ, Canada and Australia but also some from SA and Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe), not that many British.  There's usually a turnout led by the British Ambassador and ambassadors from Commonwealth countries.  It's multi-denominational usually with Christian and Jewish religious leaders represented. 

British Ambassador usually provides tea afterwards at his residence.  Not been there.  The previous Ambassador usually gave speeches but this current one  never says much.  The SA ambassador usually legs it immediately after.

I am surprised to see 100 people at the Solymar site but even more surprising was that I was at the War Graves site in Fajara, The Gambia a couple of years ago and it was extraordinarily well attended for such a small outpost. I think possibly up to 300 or so people.   So many, there was a scrum for the tea and biscuits.

fluffy2560 wrote:

The reason they don't want you to use a phone on a plane is the potential for it to interfere with the compass.  These days, assuming you're on a modern plane, it's hardly relevant as they are using GPS as well as other techniques. However, in a back to basic flying situation in say Alaska where there are fewer navigation aids, resorting to the compass is a necessity as well as looking out of the window.   In any case, in any full airliner there are usually a minimum of 5 phones operational at any one time because people have forgotten or don't care. 

The problem with phones these days are they are all or nothing.  As they are all digital, the data rate has to be sufficient to put together the original speech.  Without enough data, it'll just fail or sound like screeching.  With analogue it was always possible to hear something even when there was a low signal.

I've been on a plane and have forgotten to turn off my mobile.  When I looked at it, it was basically a list of SMS messages welcoming me to lots of mobile networks along my route.   That's not that surprising really because we were at say 33,000 ft (6 miles high) and that's hardly any distance for a mobile.  I am surprised however that they are not using sufficiently directional antennas. 

As for LTE, they can use smaller and smaller cells to improve coverage and speed.  The timing signals and power give the distance and direction to the phone and therefore the nearest cell.  And one of the technologies (GPRS? forgotten which!) which gives a double data rate by using two cells at the same time.

GPRS is a bit "old"really. LTE is a mix of all kinds of old backwards-compatible technologies (the company I worked for is called Aeroflex, previously known as Marconi :). I agree on small flights the pilot actually CAN see things out the window, on larger modern aircract hasn't a chance the angle of view is extremely limited.

Obviously with fly-by-wire you would damned well hope that the computer navigation systems etc are nicely separated from the customer equipment watching the telly on the back of their seat. (If it''s anything like MIL-STD-1553B then you should have dual have physically dual redundant cable down each side of the plane, I assume as I have not worked on aircraft wiring. But I would hope that was insulated from customers on their mobile phones).  I haven't flown as far west as Alaska but I know what you mean, the antennae there are going to be few and far between. It is not so much about the distance, six miles is nothing I agree, but "clutter" like mountains and stuff tend to bounce signals off in all directions, and beamforming can only help so much. In fact with some systems with LTE you have it sending off 64 (probably 128 or 256 now)  simultaneous signals varying in phase and magnitude, it is quite clever. You're right having to put all the packets back together again is a bit of a problem for them, especiallly if they are running over an Internet Protocol based technology (which they virtually all do)

It also depends on the software (i.e. my job) because for example with a surface-to-air missile you tend to assume that the target will be ABOVE the ground. Which is not true when the missile is on top of an Alp  and the target is in the valley below. All these kind of assumptions are built into the navigational software and then some day or other the world tells you something else. Which is why you get a lot of Controlled Flight Into Terrain i.e. pilot whacks mountain, mountain whacks back, mountain wins because pilot cannot see mountain in dark until it is a bit too late and the nav systems are bouncing radar off everywhere.

Far safer to bike than go anywhere near any of them :)

The missus just phoned me this morning to say hello, she has jst woken up. Brussels airlines which used to be Sabena put her in the exit row. She is five foot two. But for anyone, do they actually expect you to get everyone out off af an airline wing and so on if the plane is burning down. The Miracle on the Hudson was not really a miracle, you had a pilot of extreme experience who put every effort into getting that down safely and did it. You can't expect a passenger in Row 14 to, in a hurry, open the cabin door, then start asking people to get out onto their wings leaving their baggage etc. Apparently she was allowed to sleep the whole flight (which is not a long flight, about 1h45m ftom BUD to Brussels proper airport) while it spends most of its time going up-diddly-up-dup and coming down-diddly-down-down. But my five foot two missus with arthritis in her arms can sit in an exit row and is expected to be able to womanhandle the great big emergency wheel open, get everyone out, etc etc. Of course what everyone does is rush to the front doors etc. She said they let her sleep the whole flight (very attentive eh) but asked her to take her earplugs out on landing. Which is the tricky bit, admittedly, getting the buggers up is no problem, getting them down again is the hard bit, a plane likes to stick in the air (amazing to this day to me, how the hell can two hundred tons of metal stick up there like that when my shelves fall down? I know the equations but it is still kinda magical to me that it can)

What a nonsense the safety regulations are, aren't they. I ALWAYS listen to them with full attention not because I am naive but because the cabin crew appreciate that at least someone is listening. But the instructions themselves are a complete pile of nonsense, aren't they. And can we please stop having NO SMOKING signs everywhere. Now they don't let you have electronic cigarettes on most European flights. Why? Again, more to do with disturbing other passengers than to do with anything about genuine safety.

fluffy2560 wrote:

this is getting very off topic

my transliteration but yes it is. I haven't worked out yet how to post a new topic or move conversation to another topic (and I come from the old days of things). Can you explain to me how to do that? I suppose there is something telling me how to do it but so many ads on this site, mostly at the moment for Allianz Insurance asking Moving Abroad? (In English). Sorry, already here. Next...

SimonTrew wrote:

And can we please stop having NO SMOKING signs everywhere. Now they don't let you have electronic cigarettes on most European flights. Why? Again, more to do with disturbing other passengers than to do with anything about genuine safety.

Again, and this needs a smoking topic really, a nonsense of the no smoking signs. If smoking is banned everywhere, you don't need a sign telling you it is. (You can actually smoke airside in Budapest Airport, there is a smoking room right at the top of the building, so you can spark your cigarette while breathing in benzene/petrol/gas from them refuelling the planes, cos er that ain't the most hazardous place to put a smoking room).

Again it is just cack-handed (kinda regulations for their own sake). If every shop is non-smoking, every pub is non-smoking, then you don't need signs telling you that everywhere. You don't have no-sniffing-cocaine signs everywhere because obviously it is illegal. Therefore, don't need signs.

There is a disgusting habit that makes one's breath smell, is injurious to one's own offal, and litters the streets when people drop the remains of it. As they stick it in and out of their mouth it makes it very difficult for them to speak clearly. Billions of people around the world take it daily for comfort, but others breathing it in are also harmed by its vapours. Yes mesdames et m'sieurs I am of course talking about chewing-gum. You don't see "no chewing gum"signs anywhere. The stuff is filthy, costs a fortune to clean off the streets and arcades with an extremely powerful cleaning agent, it is extremely unsightly and makes you fart. But you don't see "no chewing-gum" signs anywhere.

As a smoker, I kinda object to the MORAL warnings on the packets. I know it is disgusting and hurts my health and so on. I still get the smoker's premium that since I am likely to die seven years younger than non-smokers I get paid out sooner. The cost to the British National Health is a net gain, last time I checked the figures which was about five years ago (and I went through the published Treasury accounts), the total cost of the NHS is outweighed by the duty and VAT on cigarettes with a healthy margin over. It is patently in a Government's interest to heavily tax cigarettes, then you get fag runs to Adinkerke and Hungary where fags are cheap. It is an economic good in the strict John Stuart mill sense, i.e. the taxes make more money than it costs. Smokers die sooner, less pensions to pay out (that is a long-term on the Y20 book of course). Non-smokers die every day.

I have no problem with the fact that smoking is a disgusting, dirty, filthy habit and you are better off without it. But the economic argument don't stack up. If you're going to be fair, put the warnings on every packet of everything. Put onto chocolate a great big white warning saying "eating chocolate makes you fat". Put on salt a great big white warning "Salt is essential for your body but taken in excess quantities might make you get gout (HM Chief Medical Advisor)" and so on. Put them everywhere, make it fair. Nobody reads them anyway they do NOT kinda think perhaps I might give up. What they do with me, as rather a libertarian, is say SOD THAT I AM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP. DON"T TELL ME WHAT TO DO. I have just bought this packet of fag, out of money you already taxed me for income andnational insurance, and then paid an (un)healthy whack to you AGAIN for doing so, and then you tell me not to smoke them. What else am I supposed to do with them use them as rawlplugs/plasplugs?

But then I would just make every drug legal. I don't take illegal drugs myself, as booze and fags are just my own two and I stick to those two. But the harm from illegal drugs is not the harm from drugs but the harm it causes to find the money to buy the drugs. A pound of cocaine in Columbia costs less to produce than a pound of sugar. The WAR ON DRUGS patently failed, let people have their pleasure if they are not harming anyone else. The argument for passive smoking is very weak, the original study by the FDA was that if you live with with an habitual smoker for twenty years your chances of getting lung cancer increase by one in thirty thousand each year. That is actually a very tiny amount when your chances of getting lung cancer are not very high in the first place. 99% of statistics are made up on the spot, but I do actually do the background research on these kind of government figures. (And I always vote so that I am entitled to my opinion). I don't smoke around others, not because it is harmful to them but it is unpleasant to them, that is common decency. But it will not harm their health to get a gasp of my cigarette. I breath in diesel and petrol fumes every day which is far more injurious what comes out the back of people's cars than what comes out of my lungs in used cigarette smoke.

Well that was a a good rant. I feel better for that. Now for the bacon sandwiches....

fluffy2560 wrote:

But more importantly you can get poppies here - at the British Embassy.

I never thought of that. I have never needed to go to the British Embassy here, being European I never needed to register etc. I didn't know that, thank you for telling me.

fluffy2560 wrote:

British Ambassador usually provides tea afterwards at his residence.

Surely, Ferrer Rocher? Mr Ambassador, you are spoiling us...

fluffy2560 wrote:

I am surprised to see 100 people at the Solymar site but even more surprising was that I was at the War Graves site in Fajara, The Gambia a couple of years ago and it was extraordinarily well attended for such a small outpost. I think possibly up to 300 or so people.   So many, there was a scrum for the tea and biscuits.

I am not surprised at all. The War Graves Commision keep all of them immaculate. We went to the one in Cairo when I was a boy, it was immaculate. I imagine for the north africa campaign of second world war, I was too young to know about these things, this would be about 1986 when I was twelve.  It is a beautiful cemetary there, and absolutely huge. It is a pity in a way the other side (who lost!) don't have places like that to pay respect to their own fighting heros. And I don't use the word hero lightly. I would probably be a coward and run away, I don't think I would be able to do it. I take my beret off to you then.

I had one great pleasure, I happened to be in London one November 7 and heard Big Ben chime., it is the first time in my life I have heard it chime in real life twelve strikes, not on radio etc. I walked up The Mall and there was a service for the others, commonwealth service, I paid my respects of course. But they never broadcast that on the radio. It was a beautiful november day, to pay respects for foreign and commonwealth they have the service about a week before. Can't remember what I was doing in London to be there, it was a beautiful coincidence. I was probably just walking back over Westminster Bridge as easier than taking the tube or something. It was such a beautiful November day sun shining etc I think I had just decided to walk back to King's Cross to get the train back to home rather than take the tube.

And I have never seen it on the front line. It is very easy to say from behind the lines, isn't it. I caused your injury, in the sense I worked for the defence company that made the bullet that hit your knee. (it was probably another company, but all the same). For that I can only apologise, I suppose. Defence/Defense is in itself a euphemism for War, really. "Defence is War, a new song by Fluffy and the Fluffiettes, now playing on Radio Caroline"

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

He has been wanting to live in Japan for a long time now and this is the push he needs maybe.

Let him go for it then. Japanese is very easy to learn, hard to master. I learned it when I was at University. It is quite good to learn as an English speaker because it has no masculine/feminine and very few tenses, just past tense and present tense, it is really very easy to learn. I learned the Kana (basic alphabetic spelling for native words) and Katakana (for foreign words), Kanji is more tricky but it makes sense after a while and is easy, like the symbol for "wife" is "man house" conjoined bloody obvious when you get the hang of it.

Let him go. I would. Explore the world and come back home with loads of experiences. I have never been to Japan just learned it a bit at university as a sideline. I know a lot of languages like that, bits and pieces, because I am a cunning linguist. And no crying to mummy and daddy when he runs out of money. Let him go and make his own way in the world. I was walking around Cairo at the age of 13. If you've got to a pyramid you've gone too far...

On a different topic: What is up with Hungarian government hate for trees and green spaces in Budapest? Budapest is loosing more and more green spaces. There was a charming Semmelweiss street shaded by old trees that created a natural arch over the street. It was great looking place that I wanted to be. Last weekend I walked by and could not recognize it. I had to do a double take to make sure I am on the same street. I was ;(, all trees were cut clean and parking spots made of cement replaced them. I walked by national museum on Muzeum korut and the same story there. Great Hungarian renovation involved cutting 100 y.o. trees in the museum park. I started searching for other disaster-projects and found many that are even worse and then of course the faith of Ligety park is pretty much sealed by Orbanization, the old trees r being cut down to make way for who knows what. Budapest is probably the least green city in Europe and this deforestation trend is heart breaking. How the hell they don't understand that it takes a few human generations to grow a tree to its full size? I am just saddened and baffled by this. With steady influx of used German diesels Hungarians will make sure they suffocate themselves in their own capital.
Pitty.

MOHCTEP wrote:

On a different topic: What is up with Hungarian government hate for trees and green spaces in Budapest? Budapest is loosing more and more green spaces. There was a charming Semmelweiss street shaded by old trees that created a natural arch over the street. It was great looking place that I wanted to be. Last weekend I walked by and could not recognize it. I had to do a double take to make sure I am on the same street. I was ;(, all trees were cut clean and parking spots made of cement replaced them. I walked by national museum on Muzeum korut and the same story there. Great Hungarian renovation involved cutting 100 y.o. trees in the museum park. I started searching for other disaster-projects and found many that are even worse and then of course the faith of Ligety park is pretty much sealed by Orbanization, the old trees r being cut down to make way for who knows what. Budapest is probably the least green city in Europe and this deforestation trend is heart breaking. How the hell they don't understand that it takes a few human generations to grow a tree to its full size? I am just saddened and baffled by this. With steady influx of used German diesels Hungarians will make sure they suffocate themselves in their own capital.
Pitty.

I noticed that too yesterday while walking past Semmelweiss.
My husband grew up on a st. right next to that one, our friend still lives on Semmelweiss, was pretty for sure.
They have cut down allot of trees in the city park as well.
One theory is they are making the st. wider, or adding more parking?
Another really neg thing is they may be removing trees because it interferes with 5 G signals for future wireless connections.
On our st. they just redid all the tree planters and put in new trees, some of the older ones were dying.
I know in Fullerton Ca. all the city building are removing old large trees and putting in 5 G.

They planted 10,000 trees last year in Budapest on some government programme, straplings, I don't think the Government hates trees unless trees are socialists.

When you get out into "the burbs" into the outer suburbs of budapest it is very green very lovely. Loveliest of trees the cherry now is hung with blossom on the bough, all along the woodland ride wearing white for eastertide. (Houseman, A SHropshire Lad). It is quite a green city but in the inner city yeah they will whack a tree off to put  up a billboard.

They've taken all the life to put up a parking lot. Taken all the trees to put up a tree museum. And charge everyone twenny-five dollars just to see ém. Now ain't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Taken all the life, to put up a parking lot.

I am doing the reverse I am taking the parkolo parking lot to put up an English garden. it will take me time. But don't it always seem to go, that you do'n't know what you've got till it's gone, they've taken all the life, to put up a parking lot.

Was it not Ogden Nash quoting Tennyson "I think that I did never see a thing as lovely as a tree/ Indeed unless the billboards fall/ I'll never see a tree at all". Probably not Tennyson but some other Romantic poet. Keats? Just going from memory

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I know in Fullerton Ca. all the city building are removing old large trees and putting in 5 G.

What is 5 G I do not understand? I assume American English that I am not familiar with never heard of it before. Five storeys/stories of buildings? But I am probably wrong there.

There is a nice crossword clue in The [New York Times Ït goes around connecting stories together. The answer is Spiral Staircase. But you can't do that in British English because of Storey/Story can't pun it that way.

An island according to Dunne (four letters). Oman. "No man is an island"...

In the Telegraph, Important power of attorney (ten letters). Significant, SIGN IF I CAN"T. British cryptic crosswords are very punny like that. The answers are easy but the questions are difficult. The golden rule is "I always say what I mean, but I may not mean what I say". I used to knock off the Times one in about twenty minutes, and I think the record-holder for competitions on these things does it in about ten. Not bad as a sideline over breakfast.

SimonTrew wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

What is 5 G I do not understand? I assume American English that I am not familiar with never heard of it before. Five storeys/stories of buildings? But I am probably wrong there.

There is a nice crossword clue in The [New York Times Ït goes around connecting stories together. The answer is Spiral Staircase. But you can't do that in British English because of Storey/Story can't pun it that way.

In the Telegraph, Important power of attorney (ten letters). Significant, SIGN IF I CAN"T. British cryptic crosswords are very punny like that. The answers are easy but the questions are difficult. The golden rule is "I always say what I mean, but I may not mean what I say". I used to knock off the Times one in about twenty minutes, and I think the record-holder for competitions on these things does it in about ten. Not bad as a sideline over breakfast.

Me quoting me. I miss that from England, that you go down the pub after work and consult on the cryptic crossword clues you haven't got. You have to kinda stand back while people puzzle them out themselves. I think my favourite was child's dad was drawn long ago. The answer is Bairnsfather. I had to so bite my lip. (Bairn in scottish is child, and I like old cartoons). They are kind of an education, they are quite literary, British crosswords. They assume a literary education that most of us didn't have. Like Paul Merton I only did Metalwork (not true of course)

SimonTrew wrote:

I never thought of that. I have never needed to go to the British Embassy here, being European I never needed to register etc. I didn't know that, thank you for telling me.

Surely, Ferrer Rocher? Mr Ambassador, you are spoiling us...

And I have never seen it on the front line. It is very easy to say from behind the lines, isn't it. I caused your injury, in the sense I worked for the defence company that made the bullet that hit your knee. (it was probably another company, but all the same). For that I can only apologise, I suppose. Defence/Defense is in itself a euphemism for War, really. "Defence is War, ....

The British Embassy has moved to the hills now. It used to be down near Desk Ferenc Ter. Now much less accessible which probably suits them fine.   I never liked going there because they treat people very suspiciously, even us British people.   They really were a miserable bunch and the security guard quite a horrible person.  Now I really don't know what they do there now you cannot even get a passport.  What's the point of them?  I never thought much of them myself whenever I've met any of them.  I think they are a bit strange to be honest. 

He's a bit of a sourpuss the current Ambassador.  Doesn't say much.  The previous one - think his name was Dorey - was a bit more forthcoming.

No chance of any Ferrer Rocher there. Most you'll see is a Rich Tea (not even chocolate digestives) and tea out of a tiny civil service cup.

I wasn't shot in the knee thank god.  We were on an exercise in Denmark, I was part of the anti-aircraft gun crew (the Swedish were the enemy). The thing was computer controlled and while tracking an aircraft it was apt to move violently around.  During one of it's changes in direction, I was not holding on enough and the motorised ammunition hopper came down on my knee compressing it.  It was extremely painful and was damaged somewhat.  Was OK for some years after but would flare up. It's got worse and worse over the years - aches sometimes including now.  Docs say the disk between the upper leg and lower leg and ligaments were damaged. More an industrial accident than anything else. Could quite as easily been a football injury.

fluffy2560 wrote:

We were on an exercise in Denmark, I was part of the anti-aircraft gun crew (the Swedish were the enemy). The thing was computer controlled and while tracking an aircraft it was apt to move violently around.  During one of it's changes in direction, I was not holding on enough and the motorised ammunition hopper came down on my knee compressing it.

Yeah they can do that. Typical British Army, send you off to Scandinavia cos that is where the trouble will be, between Sweden and Denmark... not surprised your rations were so short you don't find a Danish Pastry in Denmark and the Swedish Chef doesn't cook in Sweden. god that must have hurt, sixteen baz megs and forty-five fucking hells and it gets a bit better. The backfire I assume you mean. We used to trial them on Pendine blocks which are six foot wide breeze blocks in case it backfired. Never did, the aim is to try to get it in FRONT of the line of fire not coming back at you.

There is a huge amount of dredge bombs  from WWII that tends to turn up at Southend-on-Sea and people are constantly phoning Army out from Shoeburyness to dispose of it. We were waiting on one firing trial while they went and disposed of it, on the top of the roof. Saw it explode. My boss Tony took his earplugs out and said well that was not too bad. Eight seconds later, BANG....., I said to tony I thought you were the doctor of physics, you haven't worked out that the speed of sound is slower than the speed of light? They are forever dredging them up there that wash up in the estuary and having to get in bomb squad etc to set them off safely.

When you are firing bombs off the edge of essex it is not a MoD danger zone on the maps so anyone can wander in,  you get small boats without radio constantly wandering into your ambit (that is the word I was looking for for pilot's vision) and you radio, they have no radio, cos you are just fishing on the river crouch and wandered into our firing zone. That is a huge firing range there, and is not marked out much on OS maps (like salisbury plain isn't) so it is understandable but you radio and semaphore signal to this little boat to get out of the way. But if he doesn't all you can do is wait until he does. "Stand down" Sgt/WOII Norris says. But it takes about two hours for the missile to be absolutely sagfe so you have nothing to do for two hours but just wait, and you have wasted about ten people's time for twelve hours. In summer that is pleasant, in the mniddle of December less so.

British Wastospace funded that research which cost them many a bacon sandwich. I was eighteen at the time,, We were experimenting with fibre optiic cable and if you pull it off a spool it would go, six hundred metres before snapping. Very strong tensile strength in fibre optic cable. We hit the target once in seven trials, and blew up my toolbox that was sitting on top of the Russian tank because nobody expected to hit it. Had to buy a whole new toolbox... I still have the picture of it blowing up my toolbox taken off of a 100 frames a second cine camera RARDE at the time then DRA I think now DERA it changes its names so often, that I have pinned on my fridge (when I unpack). It was a very OLD russian tank.

SimonTrew wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Just look on U tube and type in 5 G and you' soon find out what it is. the new wave in wireless internet.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Just look on U tube and type in 5 G and you' soon find out what it is. the new wave in wireless internet.

Oh, fitth generation wireless technolofy (and I didn[t need to look). You could have just said. In Britain at least it was 5G without the space so you had me for a while. Like that the ground floor is the first floor, which obvously makes the second floor the first floor....

SimonTrew wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Oh, fitth generation wireless technolofy (and I didn[t need to look). You could have just said. In Britain at least it was 5G without the space so you had me for a while. Like that the ground floor is the first floor, which obvously makes the second floor the first floor....

You missed out 1/2 floors.  And there's 3.5G as well.

I think in Korea (South) they are experimenting with 6G.

I'm looking backwards to Ali-G.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

You missed out 1/2 floors

Dear me old sweetheart they are called mezzanines. from the Italian, mezza meaning only a half-made pizza. As in mezza-soprana a girl who can only half hit a note, and is employed by the Italian State Opera to stop her making pizza.

You owe me extra Pepperoni and some garlic bread.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I'm looking backwards to Ali-G.

Probably only thee and I shall get that pun.

I'm walking backwards to Christmas, across the Irish Sea,
I'm walking backwards to Christmas, it's the only thing to do you see?
I've tried walking sideways, and walking to the front
But everybody says to me, oh, it's just a publicity stunt
So I'm walking backwards to Christmas, to prove that I love you.

The great Spike Milligan. i never actually chimed with his humour, but I imagine that is what you are eluding to.  My Mum loved the Goons, I think it is quite a generational thing, to listen to the Goons on the wireless was very it was the thing.

Am I the only person on earth now that when I say "wireless" I mean this new-fangled contraption of radio?  I don't think anyone but me calls it a wireless any more.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Mind control....
Getting paranoid now.

How do you know you aren't part of a mind control experiment right now - making you say that?

I obviously am because Mrs Fluffy and I are working on the kitchen and someone or something keeps telling me to drill holes in the wrong places despite measuring it accurately.  It can only be the CIA, NSA, MI6, OV, Soros, KFC and the KGB messing with our heads.

Just becaase you think you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

What you need old swet is good old fashioned british handbrace punch and mark. THEN it will go in the right place. Better sometimes to do with manual handbrace at least to start, presumably you have your marks. Otherwise you will rip all the bloody wall out with an electric drill spinning all over the place.

Softlee Softlee catchee monkee.

Now I am confused to the 9th degree, not the 5th or the 5 G or the half floor, just confused.
Not sure how I got here.
Good news, at least I think so , the old Bush mommie has left the room!
One Bush down and God knows how many more to go?!
I personally give credence to the belief she was ol' Al Crowley's child from his affair with her mother just a good 8 months before old Barbie was hatched forth.
In any case we should count our blessings, no tears for her coming from me!