Close

Absolutely Anything Else

fidobsa :
anns :

I respect all religions and peoples individual beliefs.

Religion: The most effective way to incite hatred ever devised by mankind.

:/

I thought the most effective way to incite hatred ever devised by mankind was to say you liked pineapple on your pizza.

Being a heathen, I like pineapple on my pizza. Oh.... the hatred that pours forth from others after my confession....

But seriously most any institution, aside from pizza toppings, such as religion, political parties**, even nation states, are all compartments that can be enabled to breed and enforce tribalism.

But such issues need not, by definition, be so entwined, and can be separated of course, if people would only actually take the time to do so. In that, as one example, I rather like what the Hungarian philosopher Béla Hamvas said, which I can not quote directly, so will paraphrase (hopefully accurately): True faith in God lays beyond religion.

** I agree with George Washington there.

klsallee :

I thought the most effective way to incite hatred ever devised by mankind was to say you liked pineapple on your pizza.

Being a heathen, I like pineapple on my pizza. Oh.... the hatred that pours forth from others after my confession....

But seriously most any institution, aside from pizza toppings, such as religion, political parties**, even nation states, are all compartments that can be enabled to breed and enforce tribalism.

What is it with not liking pineapple on pizza?  I like it too. Seems perfectly normal. I watched a US comedy show called The Good Place.  In that show, part of the hell torture is pizza with pineapple and  frozen yoghurt on tap. Never had frozen yoghurt myself.    Seems like someone trying to make a thing out of nothing.  Like people trying to make a thing out of red hair or freckles. But I actually kinda like it 

I will however, draw the line at wearing white socks with sandals or Speedos over 40.

When I was much younger (about 12'ish), my Mum used to make something called "Hawaiian Cheese Dreams".   I don't know if she made it up or read it in a book.   I'll have to ask her. It's easy to do:

Get a couple of slices of toast, put a slice of ham on each, pineapple ring, slice of cheese - in that order.  the ham at the bottom, pineapple in the middle, the cheese at the top.  No cheating with a different order - hell and damnation will be upon you otherwise.

The microwave 2 mins or even better grill until the cheese bubbles/browns a bit.

Serve with tomato ketchup on the side or something like a spicy Caribbean type sauce.

Serves one.

fluffy2560 :

What is it with not liking pineapple on pizza?  I like it too. Seems perfectly normal.

Wonderful! Let's start a tribe. Those who like pineapple on their pizza. And everyone else who are just wrong. ;)

Looks like 6 more weeks of winter.

http://www.groundhog.org/

Given how the weather was warm and clear..... till today.... maybe the rodent has some credibility.

klsallee :

Looks like 6 more weeks of winter.

http://www.groundhog.org/

Given how the weather was warm and clear..... till today.... maybe the rodent has some credibility.

I just saw that report on Deutsche Welle TV.   That Punxsutawney Phil, tut-tut, he knows more than we know.

BTW, Groundhog Day links into the pagan Imbolc posted previously.  Almost a segue.

Pineapple on pizza? Don't you have to eat pork mince on groundhog day?

fidobsa :

Pineapple on pizza? Don't you have to eat pork mince on groundhog day?

Why wait?

Just eat it anytime!

fidobsa :

Don't you have to eat pork mince on groundhog day?

I thought you were suppose to eat groundhog on groundhog day.

klsallee :
fidobsa :

Don't you have to eat pork mince on groundhog day?

I thought you were suppose to eat groundhog on groundhog day.

Poor Phil. 

I'd have thought eating rodents was frowned upon in HU and elsewhere.

Exception would be South America. The Capybara is popular there. If anyone is peckish and up for burglary/kidnapping, I seem to remember there are some in Szekesfehervar zoo.

fluffy2560 :

Poor Phil.

Are all groundhogs named "Phil"? That would get really confusing at the yearly groundhog convention.

fluffy2560 :

Clearly, from the name "groundhog", it is a "hog". Ergo, it can not be a rodent. All those objective facts showing, without doubt, it is a rodent are just "fake news" trying to convince all groundhog eating folks they are not eating pork (even if it does taste like chicken).  :)

fluffy2560 :

Exception would be South America.

Rat-on-a-stick (a.k.a. Rat kebab) is enjoyed in lots of places. I understand it tastes like chicken. ;)

klsallee :
fluffy2560 :

Poor Phil.

Are all groundhogs named "Phil"? That would get really confusing at the yearly groundhog convention.

Now you are being difficult.

Not really confusing - given their eyesight problems and recognition of their own shadows, it'c clear they usually work on smell.   Obviously (!) the fellas are Phil and the gals are Phillies.

klsallee :
fluffy2560 :

Clearly, from the name "groundhog", it is a "hog". Ergo, it can not be a rodent. ....."fake news" trying to convince all groundhog eating folks they are not eating pork (even if it does taste like chicken).  :)

I thought you knew about wildlife!

I suppose I can draw parallel of groundhogs vs  rodents between certain types of bunnies but that would be just splitting hares.

fluffy2560 :

Now you are being difficult.

Absolutely. It is my "middle" name. That is what the "K" stands for. Diffikult. I can spell it real good as well. :)

fluffy2560 :
klsallee :

Clearly, from the name "groundhog", it is a "hog". Ergo, it can not be a rodent. ....."fake news" trying to convince all groundhog eating folks they are not eating pork (even if it does taste like chicken).  :)

I thought you knew about wildlife!

Brilliant!  I applaud you.

With a little subtle editing you turned the content into something else.

You should be writing memos for members of Congress.  :D

klsallee :

With a little subtle editing you turned the content into something else.

You should be writing memos for members of Congress.  :D

Damn!  I've been rumbled. 

Ok, the jigs up, I'm really Sean Spicer.

fluffy2560 :

I'm going to spend my day researching kitchen appliances and drains so I'm happy to share about that if anyone cares.

Actually, I just redid our entire plumbing. From the sinks and all other drains, out to the new Graf infiltration tunnel for the final water disposal (country side -- no sewage line). Am now a "drain pro". And I wish I wasn't -- plumbing is a surprising pain to get it right.

klsallee :
fluffy2560 :

I'm going to spend my day researching kitchen appliances and drains so I'm happy to share about that if anyone cares.

Actually, I just redid our entire plumbing. From the sinks and all other drains, out to the new Graf infiltration tunnel for the final water disposal (country side -- no sewage line). Am now a "drain pro". And I wish I wasn't -- plumbing is a surprising pain to get it right.

I expect that took a lot more time to find out what's needed here. 

I just spent 2h going to Bauhaus and failing to find what I wanted and having to make rapid decisions an alternate solution.  All I wanted to do was put a water filter on the wall.  Stupidly it didn't come with any brackets.  And for some reason, Bauhaus think taps (as in outside style taps) have to go in a locked cupboard which therefore involves asking an assistant to let me have a rummage through and.....yes....still not find what I wanted.  Mail order rules.

I've had one plumber here who seemed to think that water could flow up hill.  I decided I knew more about gravity than him and said, bugger it, I'll fix it myself.

Idly trawling through today's news, I found this gem, ideal for gossiping about.

This has to be the worst rendition of a national anthem I've heard in a long time. 

I'm only grateful it wasn't God Save The Queen.

Fergie (the Singer) messes up big time