Absolutely Anything Else

SimonTrew wrote:

Unfortunately Fluffster has hit the nail on the thumb, so there is no point my doing anything other than quote in full. Sugar OF ITSELF is not going to kill you or do you any harm. But it is added to so many, er, preprocessed foods that it is INVISIBLE, you can look on the back of the packet and find there is this much sucrose, or then they put in fructose or glucose or some other kind of sugar so that they don't have to say "sugar", it is all sugar. Sugar, of itself, is NOT harmful. Yes, I guess to a diabetic who has to watch their sugar levels, both UP and DOWN, it could be harmful, to people who are not diabetic, it will do you no harm. I don't tend to eat breakfast cereal but the amount of sugar that goes in breakfast cereal, even in the supposedly "healthy" ones... I have a bacon sandwich, of course, which has sugar in the bread, and some fat, and some protein, I also walk about ten kilometres a day so I need a bit of carbohydrate to give me energy.....

There's sugar  and there's sugar.  In the metabolism, the diabetic thing only involves glucose but in my experience other sugars seem to effect blood levels.   There's maltose, sucrose, glucose, fructose, lactose...etc. People say blood sugar but they mean blood glucose.   Glucose is carbohydrate so that's why it's mixed up on the label.

Diabetes is not a disease of low blood glucose levels, it's one of high glucose levels.  Too much bad, too little bad.   Type 1s have lows and highs (which are dangerous) but Type 2s do not usually have dangerous lows - they just get hungry or cranky. 

Lows in Type 1s are due to taking too much insulin. Not taking insulin means a high and this makes the blood acidic and also thickens it.  Lows in T1s are often confused with alcohol intoxication and that's how T1s end up dead in the police cells - i.e. sleep it off.   They go into a coma and die as brain needs glucose to function.

If you see someone you think is pissed, it could be a diabetic low.  Lows cause real confusion and slow thinking and real muddle.  If someone is diabetic, appears drunk and they are conscious, give them some normal coca-cola or similar (but not if they are unconscious) or if they have a glucose pen, zap them with it.

Conversely, if it's a high, their breath will smell of pear drops and they need insulin (they need to go to hospital asap to make sure it's the right amount) and definitely no coca-cola.  Really out of it persons with no obvious injury would be tested for blood glucose by default anyway. 

One of the worse things for  diabetic to eat for brekkie is muesli. Utterly sugar laden.   Better to have a fried egg and bacon (no sugar in that) but no bread. 

T2s need to eat regularly but small amounts to try and spread the load out across the day to avoid the peaks.   Otherwise they get a high and then fall asleep.  It's really an under-appreciated issue amongst the rest of the population.   More interestingly, diabetes is a disability albeit hidden - employers have  to make allowances for it.

Once where I worked somebody decided we were going to do a walking expedition up I think Gellert hill in Budapest, in the middle of February, so that we can see around there and have a look over the Duna. Now, theoretically, this is a good idea, except I don't walk as quickly as you do, as I am 46 and you are 21. I have stamina but not speed. Off we go walking up the hill. Get to the top, entirely foggy, couldn't see a bloody thing, hardly any point coming, all we can do is walk down again. I had, fortunately, packed a breakfast in my pocket so just sat there with my sandwiches. I think if I have the right hill, there is a Russian tank up there for some reason, from 1956 I imagine, but the museum wasn't open as it was too early, so I couldn't actually have a look around the museum, all I could do is come back down again.

Now, his missus was kinda doing a "tourist guide" kinda thing, she had it all on a clipboard that we go to see this and that and the other, it didn't really matter to me as my "tourist guide" would be OBI and ALDI and the Derby and so on, I have seen these things, but if you are going to do it, do it properly, she was saying in her tourist-guide kinda way (in Hungarian) this was this, this was that, I had seen her preparing all her notes for days, which is fair enough, but then don't drag me up a hill which doesn't have a cafe at the top where I can get a cuppa, you could have told me that before. I just sat there eating my sandwiches while she told everyone that this was done by Stalin or that by Lenin or that by Pétofi, which they couldn't see anyway as it was an extremely foggy morning, and there was fog all down the Duna, couldn't see a bloody thing. Should have just called the whole thing off, but she was rather persistent. I would just say soddit, back to work, do it tomorrow when it is better weather. Now you have nineteen miserable people who did NOT think to bring their packed lunch like English people do, who are hungry and can't get a cup of coffee, yeah, that's the way to be a tourist guide...

Fluffster has it quite right as usual so there is no point repeating it. If you see someone in a diabetic coma, they might need sugar, they might not. I have done it, I am a first aider. FIRST CALL AN AMBULANCE, and PUT THEM IN THE RECOVERY POSITION. Then try to SPEAK to them, say ANYTHING, it doesn't matter, sing them some Perry Como, to see if they are conscious. If you must, slap them to wake them up, gently of course, to make sure they are conscious. Feed them sugar sort them out. I have done it several times, a chocolate bar or anything with sugar in it. But FIRST CALL THE AMBULANCE, they are the professionals, you are only just doing first aid.

I have done mouth to mouth rescuscitation and I can tell you it is not pleasant for either of you. But I maybe saved someone's life. I don't know because they were taken away in an ambulance, maybe I did, maybe I didn't, at least I tried.

SimonTrew wrote:

Fluffster has it quite right as usual so there is no point repeating it. If you see someone in a diabetic coma, they might need sugar, they might not. I have done it, I am a first aider. FIRST CALL AN AMBULANCE, and PUT THEM IN THE RECOVERY POSITION. Then try to SPEAK to them, say ANYTHING, it doesn't matter, sing them some Perry Como, to see if they are conscious. If you must, slap them to wake them up, gently of course, to make sure they are conscious. Feed them sugar sort them out. I have done it several times, a chocolate bar or anything with sugar in it. But FIRST CALL THE AMBULANCE, they are the professionals, you are only just doing first aid.

I have done mouth to mouth rescuscitation and I can tell you it is not pleasant for either of you.My breath usually stinks from smoking, even if I use mouthwash, but that is not important at that time -  maybe saved someone's life. I don't know because they were taken away in an ambulance, maybe I did, maybe I didn't, at least I tried.

I have recovered a diabetic in a coma in the south of the Netherlands were our friends lived, the two of us got her back on her feet and into an ambulance. It is not a pleasant experience for anyone, but it is part of being human, I can wash my mouth out with soap and water afterwards. If you can't do that, you are just an ass. Learn mouth-to-mouth and simple first aid. I am not a professional, that is what they do for a living. If you can't learn, how to rescuscitate and give mouth to mouth and keep someone's heart going or talk to them, simple skills that you can find easily online, then you are just an ass. I am big and strong and can lift people and carry them down the street, I am also 46 and cannot go in a hurry like an  undergraduate can. What I CAN do is administer first aid, and wait for the ambulance to come. I actually had to do it two weeks ago, here at my own house. Why do you think I have first aid boxes at my own house? Just LEARN it. It is easier than learning Hungarian. I don't need to speak Hungarian to administer first aid, I just need to know first aid.

SimonTrew wrote:

I have done mouth to mouth rescuscitation and I can tell you it is not pleasant for either of you. But I maybe saved someone's life. I don't know because they were taken away in an ambulance, maybe I did, maybe I didn't, at least I tried.

I second that, get the ambulance and paramedics there asap.  It's not always obvious what is going on.

I wouldn't have chosen Perry Coma, I'd have  chosen mafia kingpin Frank Sinatra.  Ye, gods, how he ever managed to become famous for singing I've no idea.  Monotone voice. He made some OK movies though but just OK.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

I second that, get the ambulance and paramedics there asap.  It's not always obvious what is going on.

I wouldn't have chosen Perry Coma, I'd have  chosen mafia kingpin Frank Sinatra.  Ye, gods, how he ever managed to become famous for singing I've no idea.  Monotone voice. He made some OK movies though but just OK.

My mom told us when she was a teenaer she and a ton of other girls would chase after Frank Sinatra's tour bus.
Later in 1964 when it looked like there would be no ride from S.Ca. to Las Vegas to see the Beatles,my older sister didn't chase after a bus , she jumped out of the car!
My parents bought tickets for 3 to see the Beatles in Vegas with their friends father ( they were from the UK) saying he would drive the 3 girls to Vegas for the show.
My parents just didn't feel like going back to Vegas on that date and their friend 's father had a business thing come up and couldn't drive them.
My sister freaked the heck out in the car alone with my mom when mom said forget the concert.
My sister jumped out of a moving car to kill herself!
My mom slammed the brakes on, put the car in park got out her handbag and ran after my sister who was crying and running down the road.
Mom hit her over the head and dragged her back into the car.
They all got to go to the concert, the UK friend was doing her own sort of freak out and her father had to cancel his business trip for the Beatles.

Where I lived in Eaton Socon, I lived in a small street that leads to the River Great Ouse and there is a bridge across the river. I used to walk across it every day, but one day, coming back, I managed somehow to fall off into the small canal lock where people keep their boats to get onto the river, it can't have been more than a hundred yards from my house.

I was soaked, and although I can swim and tread water, I just couldn't get out of this lock, there was just no ladder or anything to get out, so I just kept treading water and shouting for help. Someone with their canal boat chucked me a liferaft and hauled me out somehow, I was entirely soaked of course. Without their help I would have drowned, I was very very close to drowning, and it is an experience, I am not now afraid of drowning, it is quite pleasant actually, and that was always one of my fears. But he saved my life. I got wet, I went home, ran a bath and warmed up and my coat went in the washing machine. He saved my life and yet I don't know who it was, just a local man who threw me a lifesaver. I got wet. I was cold. The ambulance came around I guess they musdt have called them, and I was 32 celsius, about 70 fahrenheit, my body temperature, and said we have never known anyone this cold who is not unconcsious. I seem to be indestructable but I am not trusting my luck. One day I am going to come a cropper.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I wouldn't have chosen Perry Coma

Yeah, he will definitely send you to sleep.... :)  or did you mean Como by any chance? Como as muck, he was.... :)

I am getting adverts for LEGO at the moment, I used to love LEGO as a kid, but I don't have children, so why? I always wonder what they key into on anything I say that it starts advertising it to me in an unusal way, if I mention King Camp Gillette who invented the disposable razor blade, now I am going to get stacks of ads for razor blades even though I use a cutthroat. I can kinda see the logic, that you are going to try to advertise something to me that I might want to buy, but it never actually is something I want to buy so you are just wasting your money.

The adman writes the prose, and cons.

I just completely fail to understand why they would advertise Lego to ME. I don't need Lego, I have never mentioned Lego here, I like Lego a lot. Meccano is a damned site better, the proper sets  with the metal parts, as you can use a bracket to put your shelf up, my Dad was alwazs doing that, nicking a tin or screw out of my Christmas Meccano set number 3 which I think there was a boat that you could make, I made a crane, but he would "permanently borrow" bits of it out so I couldn't make the big ship or anything, it had to go at the back of the kitchen to prop up the fridge, Meccano is very good for that.

My aunt was the best and I kinda follow in her tradition, as she had no children herself, she would buy us really messy and big and cheap toys. So my parents got really fed up with this huge great box of some cheap toy. Ideally, if you are an uncle, what you want for your nieces and nephews is something dirty, huge and messy. My niece, who now has passed her degree and working as a teacher for the British National Health Service, I got her so many dirty, messy, toys. Painting by numbers, that is a good one, where are we going to put that.... they are starting to advertise for Christmas now but we don't really do Christmas, we are on our own and it is not special for us... but all the adverts are starting.

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Yeah, he will definitely send you to sleep.... :)  or did you mean Como by any chance? Como as muck, he was.... :)

Yes, I meant Perry Coma (it was a pun, well, sort of). Boring bloke. Like Val Doonican or even  Roger Whittaker (look them up!).

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Yes, I meant Perry Coma (it was a pun, well, sort of). Boring bloke. Like Val Doonican or even  Roger Whittaker (look them up!).

You obviously haven't listened to Perry Patetic...  he seems to have been around forever...

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Who is Val Doonican, never heard of him... are you sure you don't mean Lonnie Donnegan, chewing on his gum again?

Val Doonican I am not sure of the spelling either had the worst jumpers in the world. He used to sing, I think on the Two Ronnies and other British TV shows like that in the singer slot, when I were a lad. He had absolutely the worst jumpers in the world.

He sang quite well though, "Old Rocking Chair" is a nice little ballad, She was bonnie she was fair, and she made me dum dum dum, I'd give half a sov to see her in her old rocking chair, that is a nice song. I am getting way to old, to remember all these old folk songs.

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

Who is Val Doonican, never heard of him... are you sure you don't mean Lonnie Donnegan, chewing on his gum again?

Lonnie Donegan, sound Irish but was actually Scottish.

Deep fried chewing gum.

All these people were so beloved for Saturday and Sunday night TV.    Petula Clark,  Cilla Black, Elaine Paige etc. Looking back, quite cringeworthy even if it's only for the fashion.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Lonnie Donegan, sound Irish but was actually Scottish.

Deep fried chewing gum.

All these people were so beloved for Saturday and Sunday night TV.    Petula Clark,  Cilla Black, Elaine Paige etc. Looking back, quite cringeworthy even if it's only for the fashion.

Yes and you had all these "acts", now Saturday night tv is just rubbish. That would be the highlight of your week, Ronnie Corbett saying "Ladies and gentlemen, Elaine Paige" or whatever, that was THE time to sit down in front of the television and watch these acts, I suppose maybe vaudeville or variety you could call it... now on Saturday or Sunday there is nothing on telly at all, there are no big performances like that. Just rubbish, the usual trash, I hardly watch telly now. You have the "reality" shows that who gives a d. about those, they are just failed actors and so on who want to be able to put Í"Í have been on telly" on their CV/resume, who have never actually done any work, oh just go on a "reality" show. Now put some cameras around my house and I will show you what reality is, because I have to cook me own dinner, feed me own cat, cut me own grass, wipe me own ass. That is what reality is, not these shows.

My elder brother was a great fan of Max Bygraves, and of course he sang in a rather nasal way, like Lonnie Donegan (not sure of spelling) did. My Mum was a big fan of Lonnie in her youth. She never liked the Beatles much. She always had her wireless on, and they have Retro Radio around the corner at the shop that is not on the corner, so I tend to hear all these old songs and sing along, and then try to sing in Hungarian to usual complete failure, you can"t really sing "can you bring a bit of water Henry, now every little once in a while" like Lonnie does and then what is the equivalent for Henry, I presume there is one, but now I have to convert that, and then "every little once in a while" I have to do ketto masopércs, minden nap or something, to make it fit the rhyme scheme, it all goes out of whack.

The other day I saw someone with a Pink Floyd T-shirt on, I know Pink Floyd very well, for various reasons, but again you think how the d. are you going to put Í"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" into Hungarian? I can do the Crazy... Hulye... but the rest of it you are a bit lost on, so it tends to come out as something rather bizarre, it can be quite funny though. Diamante I suppose you can do for Diamond, but "Shine On" is a bit hard and you have to START with that, so it all goes a bit pear shaped. Can be quite amusing though, to try it. No "Shine on" surely should be "Clín", the brand of window cleaner, that would fit. :)

I was a big fan of the Wheeltappers and Shunter's Social Club,hosted by Bernard Manning I think, I think Paul Daniels the magician made his first appearance there. Again, it appears incredibly dated now  but that was your highlight of the week, watching the Wheeltappers and Shunters (Granada) with new acts every week, a sing-song and just a bit of fun and that seems to have disappeared. The idea of having a bit of fun at all seems to have disappeared. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel … ocial_Club

Colin Crompton on the bell who would announce "On Behalf of the Committee", we have this beautiful divan suite.... no, I am sorry, diving suit...

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My mom told us when she was a teenaer she and a ton of other girls would chase after Frank Sinatra's tour bus.
Later in 1964 when it looked like there would be no ride from S.Ca. to Las Vegas to see the Beatles,my older sister didn't chase after a bus , she jumped out of the car!
My parents bought tickets for 3 to see the Beatles in Vegas with their friends father ( they were from the UK) saying he would drive the 3 girls to Vegas for the show.
My parents just didn't feel like going back to Vegas on that date and their friend 's father had a business thing come up and couldn't drive them.
My sister freaked the heck out in the car alone with my mom when mom said forget the concert.
My sister jumped out of a moving car to kill herself!
My mom slammed the brakes on, put the car in park got out her handbag and ran after my sister who was crying and running down the road.
Mom hit her over the head and dragged her back into the car.
They all got to go to the concert, the UK friend was doing her own sort of freak out and her father had to cancel his business trip for the Beatles.

Jeez, another classic tale from Marilyn.  That's a classic. 

Bonkers over the Beatles, Screwy over Sinatra.

I am not sure we've every seen such hysteria over the Beatles since then.  I can hardly imagine Cuckoo over Coldplay or Manic over Motorhead.

They alll laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round.. they all laughed it Edison, when he first recorded sound...

Electric inventor, Thomas A. Edison,made up the gramophone, and electric light
Thanks to his genius electromechanical, we can read labels on records at night.

SimonTrew wrote:

They alll laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round.. they all laughed till Edison recorded sound... was that Frank Sinister who sang that probably..

Electric inventor, Thomas A. Edison,made up the gramo,  and electric light
Thanks to his genius electromechanical, we can read labels on records at night.

I was watching the Last Night of the Proms on some replay thing on YouTube I imagine, might have been BBC, the other night, the missus was kinda singing along but doesn't know the words. Now, if you ask me, Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance Number 1 March is a damned good tune, much better than God Save the Queen. God Save the Queen is dreadful, it is so dreary, now don't get me wrong, I am quite happy to save the Queen, and if anyone is going to do it, God's your fellow for the job, but it is such a terrible tune, and then even the Americans managed to take it over as "My Country Tis of Thee" which is reasonable lyrics but the same terrible durge of a tune. The Hungarian national anthem is no better although I think that is in three-four time so you can't even march to it. Now, have a decent bit of Sousa march, something a bit uppy, or a bit of Elgar, and off we go and might actually get our marching boots on, rather than this dirge that is our national anthem.... which it actually even isn't, we don't have one. English is not even an official language in England, Welsh and Scots Gaelic are, but English isn't, we kinda forgot... but Pomp and Circumstance March No 1 by Elgar as a brilliant bit of patriotism. If you think I am being kinda racist in any way, I will tell you now, at the Last Night of the Proms there were German flags, Swedish flags, I think I saw a Belgian one and French one, it is meant to be patriotic and a bit over the top but everyone is welcome.

That is one of those peculiar things about England that people don't  understand or not realise, English is not our "official" language, we don't have one. I think if you look up Wikipedia it says "de facto", which is Latin, yes of course everyone speaks English, but it is not actually in any official sense a recognised language.  i SUPPOSE technically I can speak Dutch or German or Arabic or Swahili and it would be just fine, certainly English is not an "official" language. But with typical English hypocrisy, you then want "immigrants" if I can put it that way to pass some kind of English test. I have an English O-Level, somewhere, that is all I have, have never done an exam beyond that, and that was 28 years ago. I think I have got the hang of English by now, but, have never been asked to prove it.

I went to Spar Express tonight which is by the OMV petrol station/gas station, and as it happens I picked up a set of leather wipes. We have a new leather sofa... sofa so good.... but it really needs to get worked in. The thing is, the cream or whatever the tube of leather stuff, was in French. Of course then I started talking to the girl at the counter in French, which made absolutely no sense at all to her of course, made perfect sense to me but I "switched" into French. I am constantly doing this, "switching" between languages and sometimes I get it wrong. Like, take the Hungarian for language, nyelv, means the same as tongue... which is understandable, does in French, langue means tongue... but I "switched" into French and that is going to make no sense to her at all is it, just because it is on the packet or tube. My fault not hers, but then I have to "switch" back into Hungarian while we do the change etc, then "switch" into English when I come home, even though I speak Hungarian most of the time, my missus (who is Hungarian) prefers to speak English, so I am constantly "switching" languages. I probably speak at least three languages every day of the week, Hungarian, English, and a Roma language, so I just dropped into French by mistake, and it took me a while kinda to kick-start myself back again.

One of my non-talents is to translate well-known songs as I go along. This is ALWAYS a recipe for failure. They were playing "Penny Lane" by the Beatles - and I actually have a friend who lived on Penny Lane and went to that barbershop - but you think how do you translate Penny Lane, filler űtca maybe, and then you have to do all the rest. This is a complete recipe for disaster, trying to translate songs on the fly, but can be quite amusing. I was doing Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd earlier, that is reasonably easy. The think is, Hungarians have never heard these in Hungarian, they have only heard them in English so they get the words amusingly wrong, so I do it the other way, the correct English words but very bad Hungarian. I go to extremes with this, on purpose, like the member of Pink Floyd was called Roger Waters, so now of course he has to be Viz Roderick or something, I deliberately muck it up, for amusement. I am not sure my missus realises I am doing it on purpose.

SimonTrew wrote:

I was watching the Last Night of the Proms on some replay thing on YouTube I imagine, might have been BBC, the other night, the missus was kinda singing along but doesn't know the words. Now, if you ask me, Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance Number 1 March is a damned good tune, much better than God Save the Queen. God Save the Queen is dreadful,....

I think Jerusalem is probably a better tune than God Save The Queen.

Well that is Blake, Jerusalem, when he asked "And did those feet in ancient time" he was being sarcastic, No they didn't. You think, and was the Holy Lamb of God (baaah.... bahhh) on England's pleasant pastures seen? And was the countenance divine, shine forth upon these clouded hills, and was Jerusalem bulided here, amongst these dark satanic mills?
i
What is he up to with dark satanic mills? I know what he is up to. He is saying, Blake, "My country needs improving, it has lots of faults".  We will build Jerusalem, one day, but it will not be one day, it will take all of us, with all our hearts and care to make society better, to make the new Jerusalem. We will have to do it all together, and it is possible, if we do it, if we care, and work together, we can do it.

I shall not cease from mental fight, nor shall my sword sleep in my hand, until we've built Jerusalem, in England's green and pleasant land.

And not just England, but Hungary or the Czech Republic or everwhere. What you have to do is take care of your liberties. People always want to take your liberties off of you. You have to stop them, you have to make a stand, to say, no, providing I am not hurting anyone else, I can do what I like.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

I was watching the Last Night of the Proms on some replay thing on YouTube I imagine, might have been BBC, the other night, the missus was kinda singing along but doesn't know the words. Now, if you ask me, Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance Number 1 March is a damned good tune, much better than God Save the Queen. God Save the Queen is dreadful,....

Well the tune there is by Parry I think, who wrote loads of churchy tunes, but it is still a better tune than God Save The King/Queen, why we have stuck with that one I have no idea as it is a dreadful tune.

The Hungarian national anthem is even worse, it is all about how awful they are, how much they have been invaded and lost battles, and is a complete wrist-slasher, so I suppose the English one is at least better than that.

SimonTrew wrote:

Well that is Blake, Jerusalem, when he asked "And did those feet in ancient time" he was being sarcastic, No they didn't. You think, and was the Holy Lamb of God (baaah.... bahhh) on England's pleasant pastures seen? ...

History aside, it's an uplifting tune.     

Every country and it's dog have had their way God Save The Queen - Lichtenstein and Norway and even the USA claims it for this and that.  Owned by no-one claimed by everyone. Rubbish tune.

I've heard the US national anthem is very difficult to sing, needing a lot of range and considerable practice.

Hungarian national anthem, no idea but I vote for Girl With the Pearl Hair?

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

Well that is Blake, Jerusalem, when he asked "And did those feet in ancient time" he was being sarcastic, No they didn't. You think, and was the Holy Lamb of God (baaah.... bahhh) on England's pleasant pastures seen? ...

Every country and it's dog have had their way God Save The Queen - Lichtenstein and Norway and even the USA claims it for this and that.  Owned by no-one claimed by everyone. Rubbish tune.

I've heard the US national anthem is very difficult to sing, needing a lot of range and considerable practice.

No, what we need is Barwick Green, theme tune from The Archers, and what could be more British than that? And we keep the words... rum te tum te tum te tum, tum te tum te tum tum, those will be the words to our national anthem, and we will have that. Far better,

SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

No, what we need is Barwick Green, theme tune from The Archers, and what could be more British than that? And we keep the words... rum te tum te tum te tum, tum te tum te tum tum, those will be the words to our national anthem, and we will have that. Far better,

Theme from Dallas?  That's another soap opera about a "royal" family.  JR is Phil the Greek. Queen Liz is Miss Ellie. ...

Anyway, Princess Eugenie - who the hell is that*? And why was her wedding televised?

Didn't take Harry and Meghan long to get a bun in the oven.  It's her duty now anyway.  She's what, over 35, clock ticking etc.  I bet she has another one by the time she's 38.  Could possibly even do another one at say 40?   Victoria is I believe top of the names list.  Could go for more modern names - Kylie or perhaps Wayne?  Daenerys perhaps?

*I know who she is but she's not even doing public engagements so why bovver?

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

The only good bits of "God Save The Queen" are in the bits that nobody sings. "Damn them their politics, confound their knavish tricks", or "and with a mighty rush rebellious Scots to crush" in the third verse, yet for some reason we never get that far... even Her Majesty never gets that far. I am not sure actually hw Her Majesty, she must hear it every day, can stand it, God Save Our Gracious Me, Long Live My Nobie Me, God Save The Me, Send me.... she must be entirely fed up with hearing that and want a it of Lonnie Donegan or something

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Theme from Dallas?  That's another soap opera about a "royal" family.  JR is Phil the Greek. Queen Liz is Miss Ellie. ...

Anyway, Princess Eugenie - who the hell is that*? And why was her wedding televised?

Didn't take Harry and Meghan long to get a bun in the oven.  It's her duty now anyway.  She's what, over 35, clock ticking etc.  I bet she has another one by the time she's 38.  Could possibly even do another one at say 40?   Victoria is I believe top of the names list.  Could go for more modern names - Kylie or perhaps Wayne?  Daenerys perhaps?

*I know who she is but she's not even doing public engagements so why bovver?

My missus was just telling me about her wedding, and I am not sure where she was married, I assume St Paul's or Westminster Abbey, but maybe not, I think it was in Hello magazine according to the missus, I have absolutely no idea. Apart from Her Majesty, who has done what she promised in 1953 and served our country every day since, I I would get rid of the lot of them, what are they doing? I would make UK a republic if I had my way, but the Queen, Her Majesty, has served faithfully and with grace and I wouldn't want her job, she has far less freedom than I do, I can choose which WC to have a crap into, she can't. I wouldn't take that job for a million dollars.

Yes, of course, she doesn't have to cook a bacon sandwich in the morning, but then she has to WAIT for someone else to cook her a bacon sandwich. I wouldn't want that job. Get rid of all these minor royals, but HMQ has done exactky what she promised in 1953 served her country.

I have a great respect for her, I wouldn't be able to do it, I would be telling people to eff off or leave me alone or just hang on I am going to have a cuppa or a quick half a pint of beer, I would not be able to do it

Once I was invited to go for a posh dinner at Chancery Lane, so I took the tube from Liverpool Street to Chancery Lane, had a nice dinner, a bit too much champagne. Couldn't find St Paul's on the way back, an object as subtle as a cathedral being way beyond me at that time.

Managed to take someone else's coat and hat, by mistake, got on the train to Cambridge from Liverpool Street and was meant to get off at Whittlesford, which is near where I lived, but fell asleep and ended up in Cambridge. Wife now waiting to pick me up at Whittlesford, me at Cambridge, er, what do I do now.

SimonTrew wrote:

Once I was invited to go for a posh dinner at Chancery Lane, so I took the tube from Liverpool Street to Chancery Lane, had a nice dinner, a bit too much champagne. Couldn't find St Paul's on the way back, an object as subtle as a cathedral being way beyond me at that time.

Managed to take someone else's coat and hat, by mistake, got on the train to Cambridge from Liverpool Street and was meant to get off at Whittlesford, which is near where I lived, but fell asleep and ended up in Cambridge. Wife now waiting to pick me up at Whittlesford, me at Cambridge, er, what do I do now.

My MIL came by train to Austria where we were living at the time.  She got off at some train random stop which was literally 1.5-2h from where we lived. It was very difficult to get to her.  I had to go and collect her as Mrs Fluffy was somewhere or other. 

There was a vague similarity with the name of the town if you had cotton wool in your ears or a speech impediment but in written form, no way it could ever have been mistaken regardless of language skills.

We never understood why she got off there and no sensible explanation was ever offered by her (she's teetotal btw). 

But it's not just the MIL,  I used to get stuff delivered to me in Austria....usually via Melbourne...usually with the packaging ripped open and customs stickers all over it....Australia....Austria....pay attention at the back! Null point from the Fluffy jury.

Since this topic seems to have become mostly a fluffy2560 - SimonTrew discussion** I have decided to unsubscribe from this topic.

The door may smack me in the rear as I exit... Oh well. C'est la vie. :)

** Guys.... Seriously.... Consider getting a room......  ;)

I have been listening to Radio 4, the consumer programme Ewe And Ewers, about sheep who like jugs, but now they are saying that they want to take dogs into schools so that children can get used to dealing with dogs. Now, excuse me, but I ride on the bus probably every day, and there are signs and regulations to keep your dog on a lead, keep it muzzled, and so forth, if you want to have it on the bus, I think you also need to buy a bus ticket for it in some way.

Nobody does.

The big dogs, the Alsatians/German Shepherds or the lovely Hungarian ones, they are as sweet and kind as anything. What will always get you is a Yorkshire Terrier or some little yappy dog like that. Well that should ALSO be muzzled, in fact moreso. I have had more bites off of people with their little yappy dogs, that are not on a lead and don't have a muzzle, than I have ever had off a big dog, which has never bitten me. It is the little yappy dogs that get you. I am big and strong and have injections against rabies and polio and so on, but someone, one day, their little crappy yappy dog is going to kill someone, not by biting, but by infection,

klsallee wrote:

Since this topic seems to have become mostly a fluffy2560 - SimonTrew discussion** I have decided to unsubscribe from this topic.

That's a shame, it shouldn't be like that. I hoped everyone enjoyed each other's banter.   I answer anyone and engage on anything. I'm not proud.  Maybe I should ban myself from answering everyone regardless.

Please consider coming back sometime.  You will be missed.

klsallee wrote:

Si tu veut. I am actually trying to do the opposite, trying to swindle it to invite people in, but without much success. Fluffster and I just ramble and the whole point of that, it is called "Anything Else", is to be able to ramble about anything that is on your mind... I have actually invited many newbies into this room but it is a bit of a "club". It is not just me and Fluffster, Marilyn makes a third, but it is very "clubby" at the moment and actually Fluffster and I, neither of us wants that. But it is what it is.

It is not really Fluffster's or my fault that it has become a two-hander, I have invited lots of new members here, and there is Marilyn who occasionally chips in, it is not really our fault that we have turned into a double act. There are hundreds of websites, hundreds of chatsites, so we say what we say. We say it politely, we say it punningly and with intelligence, but "Anything Else" means you can say anything you feel like, if you do it politely and modestly and with intelligence. It is a pub, I think, it is kinda a pub conversation, that you would sit and have a pint and chat about what is on your mind. I have actually worked in pubs in England and Hungary for nine years, as a sideline, and I know how to spin or spiel, to keep it going. It is not my fault that people don't come in, they are all so busy on their smartphones that to have a natter on a website, they don't want to do that any more. I also am the Oracle, the Internet Oracle or Usenet Oracle, and have been for about thirty years, as a supplicant I mean, I don't run it. You take out, you pay back. That is how life works. It is not something that is always done in hard cash. I have hard cash, that is not tricky.