Absolutely Anything Else

Supposedly a thread for blabbing about anything you want and hopefully nothing will be off topic.

Send me the link ,please, I am a major violator !!

Link?

There's 3 perps on this website who always wander off topic, me, you and klsallee ;)  Now we and everyone else can waffle on here endlessly on any subject we want!  I did tell our moderators to give us a mechanism to move threads from one place to another but we, as users, do not - I think - have that level of privilege in this system.

And I'm still not working. I'm typing here. Anything to avoid the task in hand.

fluffy2560 wrote:

There's 3 perps on this website who always wander off topic, me, you and klsallee ;)

Just to set the record straight:

I never wander.

I either go off topic by design, or in pursuit of the unalienable rights granted to me by the State of Utter Confusion....  Or is it the State of Udder Confusion? So, like I way saying, I agree with everyone here, I also like milk.

klsallee wrote:

.... I agree with everyone here, I also like milk.

I quite like Greek yoghurt.  Very nice with fruit  salad and much healthier than cream.  Quite nice for putting in sauces as well in limited quantities.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I quite like Greek yoghurt.....(snip)... Quite nice for putting in sauces as well in limited quantities.

Cooking with yoghurt is under appreciated in Hungary.

I do like tejföl (decent replacement for sour cream on a burrito), but.... seriously.... there really are other culinary options in the world.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I quite like Greek yoghurt.....(snip)... Quite nice for putting in sauces as well in limited quantities.

Cooking with yoghurt is under appreciated in Hungary.

I do like tejföl (decent replacement for sour cream on a burrito), but.... seriously.... there really are other culinary options in the world.

Problem with natural yoghurt is that it's too acidic. 

Tejföl is an acquired taste although I have had some soup where it was spooned in.  Wasn't too bad.

Strangely enough, I will be visiting  a Mexican eatery tomorrow.  You've triggered burrito craving.

You three are the funniest people ever! Quite an asset to this site though i will say!

FeliciaOni wrote:

You three are the funniest people ever! Quite an asset to this site though i will say!

Why thank you Ma'm....err.....I think!

Actually the moderators complain about off topic posts so this is about anything so we can all be on topic forever! 

Yay, freedom, livin' it large and sticking it to The Man. :lol:

From another post:

fluffy2560 wrote:

That said, the US SS system is just redistribution and there is no "social security fund". I remember my US colleagues all complaining about it back in the 1990s.

Of course there is a Social Security trust fund. In fact, there are two. And the funds have been running a surplus in income since 1984, and investing those surpluses in order to make SS payments.

Some projections do indicate that by 2020, the income from taxes and other sources will not generate surplus income which will affect payments because of how the funds are invested and paid out. But that can all be fixed, but only Congress can do so, which it has so far failed to do. In other words, the only thing really wrong with the SS fund are the politicians.

Also see:

http://www.cbpp.org/research/social-sec … rust-funds

I like hot apple pie with ice cream.

Had some keifer yesterday, quit like it, a bit different then the old "buttermilk' we get in the US.
My old school mate from way back, ( we were only 11 when we met) has bought a large property in N. Cal. 120 acres, these past 3 years they have turned it into a working farm, even churning their own butter. Raising cows, sheep, chickens.
I actually am not too sure though about their milk products, suppose all is in order since they often post photos of themselves drinking straight from the source! A bit odd, wonder what else they are churning up there to just drink straight  from the "spout" so to speak.
I have to sometimes skip over their photos, the last time when her daughter took a selfie with a goats head it sort of turned me off to meat.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

since they often post photos of themselves drinking straight from the source!

And the cow's response at that moment.....

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-06tcDm04-sU%2FUgLFMPs7bBI%2FAAAAAAAADLQ%2FgMihedELROY%2Fs400%2FShockedCow.jpg&f=1

Funny, God only knows what is going on at their"farm" the whole family, grandkids everyone is moving there and setting up stakes.
Her daughter and SIL often dress up like Little Red Riding Hood and he a Woodsman and they take photos, her father lives up there with them, he is in his mid 80's by now. An ex firefighter, something with being a firefighter, met several ex's and they are a bit off center.
Sounds like it is either a blast up there or something akin a chapter from, Lord of the Flies!
Goat heads, people running through the forest dressed up in customs...
Perhaps I am missing out...

Come to think of it, there was even a photo shoot where my friends SIL was dressed up in a wolf custom, his wife made a full riding outfit even with a long red velvet cape with hood.
I can't make this stuff up...
No one works there, they own a mine and only leave their complex to meet with others living off the grid people at a farmers market.

klsallee wrote:

Of course there is a Social Security trust fund. In fact, there are two. And the funds have been running a surplus in income since 1984, and investing those surpluses in order to make SS payments.

OK, I stand corrected. 

The time I heard this story about redistribution it was - if I recall correctly - around raiding the SS fund  for some reason but then the discussion was there was nothing to raid. This was mid-1990s.

Fred wrote:

I like hot apple pie with ice cream.

I need a good recipe for apple pie WITHOUT sugar in it.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

......he a Woodsman and they take photos,...Come to think of it, there was even a photo shoot where my friends SIL was dressed up in a wolf custom, his wife made a full riding outfit even with a long red velvet cape with hood.
I can't make this stuff up...
No one works there, they own a mine and only leave their complex to meet with others living off the grid people at a farmers market.

Errr....I quite like this idea....sort of Game of Thrones or Vikings without the political intrigue or nastiness.....

....now if I win the lottery....

(caveat: no mud, no drugs, no teepees and plenty of Internet)

I'll set up my commune in Badacsony. Haha. Dominion of Fluffyland....Fluffyanina....Crown Colony of Fluffyette.....Hmmm....I might be on to something there.... :joking:

Compulsory Housing in Fluffyland....

http://cbmsc.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/hobbit-house-lord-of-the-amazing-lord-of-the-rings-hobbit-home-.jpg

My old friends from our tiny little redneck town have come a long way...
Grew up in Simi Valley, Cal. rated the "safest" city in the USA.
Could be due to the fact that every other house was owned by a copper or fireman. My step dad was only a "lowly" aerospace worker, he had "issues" with my friends father. Step- dad thought her dad was "too high on his horse." He had a newer truck, just such a S. Cal redneck attitude.
My friends family lived just 2 houses away but their lifestyle was a tiny bit higher, of course they only had 2 kids while we had 6.
Friends mom was pretty much a master tailor so the kids were always turned out in perfect condition.
Thinking it over, actually considering  my mother bore 6 kids, was a divorcee , part native American ( looked down on in her youth) and married a man 12 years her jr. her mom with an intact family wasn't as well off as my mom was.
My mom did pretty well for herself after all...
My friend also "got into troubles" at age 17, I attended her,"quickie" wedding in her parents house, she had to leave school mid term....
But then again... she did marry a older college guy from Iran who is listed as number 110 in line for the throne.
They were able to bring in $100,000 each during the troubles in the 1970's legally... She had a major jump start at a young age.
I remember riding around our little city after she returned to the US on her own from Iran with her girl, we were house hunting in her new paid off car in 1978, she paid cash for a house...
Her husband arrived a bit later with another loan of cash.
At that time all us other Buds were only renters and lucky to have a running car.
Why do I think this post will be busy...

fluffy2560 wrote:

caveat: no mud, no drugs, no teepees

Aw....

Taking all the fun out of a good Beltane fire festival.

(Some images at above link NSFW, which is why I did not link the images directly --- keeping it child friendly here :) ).

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

....My friend also "got into troubles" at age 17, I attended her,"quickie" wedding in her parents house, she had to leave school mid term....
But then again... she did marry a older college guy from Iran who is listed as number 110 in line for the throne.
They were able to bring in $100,000 each during the troubles in the 1970's legally... She had a major jump start at a young age.
I remember riding around our little city after she returned to the US on her own from Iran with her girl, we were house hunting in her new paid off car in 1978, she paid cash for a house...
Her husband arrived a bit later with another loan of cash....

Are they still together?   

Bet they don't visit Iran very much now.

Things have  changed for the better. Having a bun in the oven and no ring on the finger is not  unusual these days. In fact, it's more or less the norm.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

caveat: no mud, no drugs, no teepees

Aw....

Taking all the fun out of a good Beltane fire festival.

(Some images at above link NSFW, which is why I did not link the images directly --- keeping it child friendly here :) ).

Never mind that, this is the one to avoid - hence my anti-mud stance:

Glastonbury Mud

Any child here needs their parents' heads examined.

fluffy2560 wrote:

hence my anti-mud stance

In the end, it is all about how you sell it.

For instance, some people who would get upset if a bit of mud splashed on them in a rain storm, will pay good money at spa resorts to get into a full body mud bath.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

hence my anti-mud stance

In the end, it is all about how you sell it.

For instance, some people who would get upset if a bit of mud splashed on them in a rain storm, will pay good money at spa resorts to get into a full body mud bath.

Hmmm....good point...bit different - farm mud and spa mud.

Bio-Farm mud, Bio-farm earth bath, La Boue du Ferme Bio.....Eco-mud.....

I think the word "mud" is the problem....

Just use the term, "theraputic" and people will pay good money to have mud slung on themselves.
Yes, only 17 back in 1973 and a bun in the oven.
I was with her when she met her husband, or so I thought.. The way they zeroed in on each other when meeting I now think it was pre arranged and I was played as her cover with her parents.
Yes, they are still together, so it was real, they are great grandparents too!! I don't even have a grand kid on the horizon.
She lived in Tehran for 5 years and speaks Farsie, 5'11" green eyed blonde of German/ Swedish background, she was just too large for the local boys, never figured her to be the one to "get into trouble" in our little group. Her husband is a big guy so they look good together, have big sons, guess that is important in some cultures.
Her family was just so "all American" firefighting, Boy Scout leading dad and perfect stay at home mom, sort of embarrassing for them to have her get herself in a jam.
Hush, hush wedding and off overseas quickly.
She married into money so it all worked out perfect for her.
Alas... I married the "poor" foreigner from Hungary, all good though.

She takes her little "edibles" daily while her husband plays farmer on the estate.

Sounded a tiny bit rude saying my friend was "large" just very tall and built very strong, just like her father, her bro took after their mom is build.
My mother was pretty much a tell it like it is person( me too) she used to say about my friend a  few rude things such as, she had better get married early because she is going to be really big when she gets older,so mean really but maybe mom knew something after all.
My father used to forget she was my age, actually a few months my jr.
When he would come to visit us on weekends my friend would often be visiting me too.
Since she was so large and tall ,my father forget she was 13 once.
As she walked past him he said, Hey little girl want to sit on my lap for awhile! Darn, her face turned 15 shades of red, my mom told him to shut it up and my friend and I just went into my room.
Not easy being a big shy young girl, my dad would be brought up on charges these days I think. Pedo man!
She really was the last one in our group that any of us would think would be married so fast.
I still remember about 5 of us girls in her parents home with a minister. She was off that week to Iran and we had to go to school on Monday.
No bouguet of flowers  thrown from what I remember, we were all too young and the situation too weird for that to be done.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Hmmm....good point...bit different - farm mud and spa mud.

As we learn more about microbiology farm dirt, at least, is an amazing paradox. Not good for us, but essential to keep us healthy. Hard to explain, but I hope this link might help:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/04/healt … .html?_r=0

fluffy2560 wrote:

I think the word "mud" is the problem....

To be frank, I hate mud. Either it sticks so much to my Wellingtons that I feel like I am walking with lead weights on my feet, or I have been stuck axle deep in the stuff. After the first time that happened I bought one of those military collapsible shovels to dig myself out.

On a road, snow, is an annoyance. Ice scares me. But mud.... a plague on both their houses!!!!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

5'11" green eyed blonde of German/ Swedish background, she was just too large for the local boys------ Sounded a tiny bit rude saying my friend was "large" just very tall and built very strong,

To be frank, when you wrote "large", with a "German/ Swedish background" I was thinking more the scary, pro-wrestler build than "fat".

In other words, the type you do not want to encounter if you ever end up in a mental hospital. If you have seen the movie "Cloud Atlas", you know what I mean .... ;)

klsallee wrote:

....As we learn more about microbiology farm dirt, at least, is an amazing paradox. Not good for us, but essential to keep us healthy. Hard to explain, but I hope this link might help:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/04/healt … .html?_r=0

As someone who developed an allergy to house mites in my 20s, I can see the point there.  I do not know why it suddenly occurred but it seems to have started when I began to clean out filters and fans in the back of IT equipment.  Been a downhill spiral since then.  What I don't really understand is where all the stuff comes from.  It's not like there's a pack of dogs moulting or chickens running about losing feathers in these IT places.  But it looks like fluff.   What exactly fluff? 

I can only surmise it's spontaneous fluff generation.  Take that Darwin.

klsallee wrote:

.... I have been stuck axle deep in the stuff. After the first time that happened I bought one of those military collapsible shovels to dig myself out.

On a road, snow, is an annoyance. Ice scares me. But mud.... a plague on both their houses!!!!

I've got the same kind of shovel but never had to use it.   That said, shovelling snow kills people so best avoided.  See here: Snow Shovelling Kills

fluffy2560 wrote:

That said, shovelling snow kills people so best avoided.

Hey, as an American let me tell you the rest of us avoid such problems by using propane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ASeMyGOgRE

Dealing with snow in a manner that promotes global warming, so less snow. The American Way.  Longer life through petroleum products.... :joking:

klsallee wrote:

...Hey, as an American let me tell you the rest of us avoid such problems by using propane...Dealing with snow in a manner that promotes global warming, so less snow. The American Way.  Longer life through petroleum products.... :joking:

Yay, absolutely trees and rainforest over-rated! Bah, oxygen, who needs it...

Now, where's my water divining rods, air-conditioned outdoor suit and oxygen cylinder...

That's pretty much my friend, a large "wonder women" body type. Like I said she takes after her father, an ex fireman 6'2" and over 200 lbs. The most feme girl ever though in a huge body, what a curse!
She loved wearing cute little pink dresses when we were kids, I was the "tomboy" always had my mother in a tizzy because I loved to buy old army/navy used funky clothing from the surplus shops when she would go out and buy me new girly clothing. Had a faze of only wearing old men's dress shoes for a while, of course I femed them up by replacing the shoe strings with velvet ribbons?!
I wanted to look tougher then I was and my friend wanted to look more girly?
No wonder we were bullied in our little town.
Of course my large friend wasn't picked on half as much as I was, I was too skinny to scare anyone away.

When we spent a long long winter in Erd 11 years back I tried my hand at shoveling snow from the sidewalk in front of the house.
My MIL's house was a corner lot, so I had my work cut out for me.
I would hate to have to do that every year, it was a great form of exercise but it took me 3 days to clean the sidewalk,was lucky if it didn't snow each evening and cover up my work.
A few hours of shoveling followed by a trip down the wine cellar as my reward.
Growing up in S. Cal, made it fun to actually shovel snow, a novelty.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Yay, absolutely trees and rainforest over-rated! Bah, oxygen, who needs it...

When I was still a starving grad student, I had a friend who had a t-shirt that said "Pave The Planet!".

He stopped wearing it because some people, not understanding the inherent sarcasm, actually agreed with it.

Never underestimate the fact that some Americans actually live in "Merica".....

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

When we spent a long long winter in Erd 11 years back I tried my hand at shoveling snow from the sidewalk in front of the house.
My MIL's house was a corner lot, so I had my work cut out for me.

The secret to "shoveling" snow is you do not actually shovel it, you push it and let it roll into the snow shovel, then flip it aside. And do this in multiple layers and with repeated passes if necessary. Many years shoveling snow in the Swiss alps talking here....  ;)

These days I seem to have to shovel through more then snow...

Speaking of slinging some mud, I had a friend in Las Vegas who was from Sarvar,Hungary.
She gave me bags of dry mud, or clay that one of her family had sent her from the spa in their home town.
She didn't like using it, I used it but do not remember wanting to buy more of it.
This women was so interesting though, she was in her early 80's when we met at a gym in Vegas.
She was just so sweet with her little pink workout shorts on and her little hairdo.
She and her husband were a sweet little ol' Jewish couple who escaped the Nazi's just in the brink of time.
She was a few months pregnant went they ran away, she often told me about their escape, walking through rivers, getting to France, going to the UK where she worked as a translator during the war, then them coming to the US.
She was so youthful in her personality and full of life. Her escape when I met her was the gym, her husband was a bit older then her, in ill health and she had to have a outlet so working out was her outlet. She always told me how hard it was to live with a grumpy old man, so cute.

He later passed away, I met him once when he was driving to pick her up, yes people in the US still drive in their early 90's!
After he passed away we both found ourselves at a different gym and in the same yoga classes, she was 86 last time I saw her and she was still going strong, put us ,"Kids" to shame the way she would keep up in a 75 min. class without stopping to rest.
My husband and she loved to chat once in awhile in the gym lobby, it was fun for them to speak n Hungarian to each other.
Was even thinking of renting her house from her as she got older, her single eldest son had moved her in to keep an eye on her as she had started falling allot.Her house was up for rent but as we were coming back to HU we didn't want to take on a house too.
We moved to HU and I lost contact with her after a few e mails.
Whenever I think of spa mud, I think of Maria, such an interesting person, probably gone by now.

This same old school mate gave birth to her 3rd child who tipped the scales at something like 13lbs 2 oz at birth!!! She gave birth all natural too, no drugs or meds of any sort!!! OMG!
I had to gift her a baby outfit for a year old kid!
Some people are just giants.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

These days I seem to have to shovel through more then snow...

Speaking of slinging some mud, I had a friend in Las Vegas who was from Sarvar,Hungary.
She gave me bags of dry mud, or clay that one of her family had sent her from the spa in their home town...

There's potential for some Hungarian word play in there Marilyn.

Sárvár vs Szarvar. 

I'm referring to the mud.

But I thought Sárvár was a place of no interest having thought I'd driven through it. A one horse town without a horse but having Google'd it, I can see yes, it has got a large spa and a castle.  Looks quite interest.  I never knew because I always went through from Sopron towards Budapest and the road bypasses the town as far as I remember.

Now I'm thinking of going to Sárvár one weekend to be "muddied up"!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

This same old school mate gave birth to her 3rd child who tipped the scales at something like 13lbs 2 oz at birth!!! She gave birth all natural too, no drugs or meds of any sort!!! OMG!
I had to gift her a baby outfit for a year old kid!
Some people are just giants.

Tell me about it.  BTW, was it a late birth? Past the due date?

The Fluffyettes were small when they were born but now they are massive.  It's made no difference how small they are when they are born. 

Fluffyette1 is 11 and she's almost as tall as Mrs Fluffy.   Fluffyette2 is not as big but he's much younger. He seems to be shooting up somewhat.

I'm not sure what's causing these giant kids. My own family are all average. Mrs Fluffy's relatives are the same. 

On my travels I have been in Asia many times and people are small. Tiny in fact. I feel enormous. 

A specialist in gender issues I worked with once told me that there are gender differences in some places there. Boys get better food due to bias in the parents and society. However, in Thailand I have seen very large (not fat, just large) Thais and in Mongolia, some of them are real giants.  The thought is that in Mongolia they eat huge amounts of meat (there's almost no agriculture there as too cold) and in Thailand they've imported a Western based diet and this is favoured by some younger people and this figures a lot more meat in the diet.  It might also be better medical care than when I was a kid.

It's Land of the Giants (now there's a show I liked, that and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea).

My cousins wife who I met just a couple weeks back when they came to Budapest for a visit, was rather tall for a Thai lady, around 5'7" tall.
My husband is average, I suppose 5'10" I am 5'9" and our son is just shy of 6'3"!
He also came with bright red hair and green eyes, a surprize to us although there are red head "gingers" on both sides, just thought he would be "normal brown haired brown eyed "like most of us are.
Guess that one German relation on my side was strong in my son's DNA, very slim built though, no football player body, more like a tennis or swimmers body type.He is a gamer, if that counts as a sport.
His current wife is Japanese, wonder what any grandkids would look like, I know mixed race people in Hawaii can be very good looking.
I have allot of "shorties" on my dad's side very tiny people and built very trim, I was taller then my aunties when I was only 12, felt a bit "freakish" being taller then most of the adults in the family, even taller then my dad was.
My half bro is 6'1" my deceased sister was built like Twiggy in her youth and never really had an extra oz of fat on her ever, she was 5'10" and 108 lbs. all through her 20's, she topped out at 125 in her 40's. Skinny mini.
Her girl is 5'11" tall used to be very slim but now is another "wonder women" large strong lady, looks allot like the Hemingway girls in the face, just really pretty, her little 10 year old is tall too already.
I know my little short, cute blonde blue eyed female cousin who was older then I got allot of attention as a child because of her "cuteness" she grew up a spoiled brat because of it.
My niece with that face, was "brought up right" no ego trip about it, one can always pick her out of any photo, she has that sort of face and big green cat eyes.

Oh my friends 3rd birth was normal from what I know.
Her mother was tall, 5'8" and of course she had that really tall big father.
Her husband is Persian and really tall too, at least 6'1" or taller.
Had a friend in Hawaii who was another large wonder women type, her husband was a footballer from Tonga. He was massive, had to be nearly 6'5" tall scary looking guy too.
My polish/Rusin relations are not big people at all, some aunties were 5'2" and tiny little things.
I wonder if diet because of growing up in the depression years made them smaller then they were programed to be with their DNA?
What I find strange is with my mom's 6 kids only my deceased sister and I are fair and tall, slim, the rest are stronger and shorter and dark.So much different that we would often be asked if any of us were adopted.
Now that my sis has passed away, when I take photos with my siblings people ask who they are.
It's just weird how people can turn out. We have a native American great grandmother and my 4 sibs look very native, nice thick dark hair and built tough, I am always breaking down and they are strong. My nearly 69 year old sister still rides a motorbike and shovels her own snow by hand every winter, she even does her elderly neighbors walkways.
I am weak compared to them, just odd.