Tiny family relocating and seeking insight

Hello,

I grew up in Rome and, after living in many other countries now plan on moving back to ITaly but prefer not to go to Rome (too much chaos). I am hesitating between Tuscany and Umbria, my main concerns being the cost of living and the quality of life for myself but also for my 4 year old son. Places I am looking at are Orvieto and Siena. Perugia I have mixed feelings about since last time I was there, a couple years ago, I did not much like it.

Are there any families there with young children who are willing to share their insight on life in either of these cities? Cost of living (my budget is about 2500 euros/month), schooling, friendly environment and activities for me (yoga, painting classes)? After years of living in big cities I now hope for a quiet, more community oriented life for my little family, away from traffic and chaos and closer to nature.

Language is not an issue, but a mixed Italian/expat community would be wonderful.

Feel free to email me directly if you wish.
Any feedback, or leads, would be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year,
Alice

Hi Alice,

I was wondering if you finally moved back to Italy, specifically Tuscany or Umbria as I am planning to do the same.  If you did (or not) I would very much appreciate any information and advice that you can provide me with.  Actually, I am planning to move with two friends who are sisters.

Best regards,
Armando