Construction job in Lagos

Hi all,

some help needed. I have an offer to work in Lagos, as a site manager assistant by one big European company.  Basically my job would be a combination of quantity surveyor and quality control.

The offer is as follows: Net salary of 950€ per month, accommodation paid by the company in a guarded compound, as well as health insurance, two flights a year to Europe.

After reading a lot of forums I find the salary proposed to be ridiculously low. Please give me an advice.

Thanks

Dear Sir,
         i am from nepal.i am 27 years old.i want to apply for this construction job.how can apply?what is the procedure?
         please send me more information.
         i look forward to reply from you.
                                            with regards
                                               jit

Jiterndraa please read my post again, this time carefuly!!

way too low

Croat82 wrote:

Hi all,

some help needed. I have an offer to work in Lagos, as a site manager assistant by one big European company.  Basically my job would be a combination of quantity surveyor and quality control.

The offer is as follows: Net salary of 950€ per month, accommodation paid by the company in a guarded compound, as well as health insurance, two flights a year to Europe.

After reading a lot of forums I find the salary proposed to be ridiculously low. Please give me an advice.

Thanks

costner1 wrote:

way too low

Thanks Costner. Do you have any idea what would be appropriate salary?

The money is ok

Ofemidele where are you from?

Nigeria

The money is pretty good in Nigeria

If you're Nigerian and this is your homecountry the money is ok, otherwise think twice! Being send away from home normally rises the price! FAR TOO LOW!!!

Dear croat 82 ,
                Let us consider the following situation which i got from internet, and think @ urs.

the cost of living in Nigeria... a bit of an odd question as
90% of the population lives on less than a dollar a day but
expats  generally stay in overpriced hotels or rent overpriced appartments. You can pay $500 a night for the best hotels but no guarantee of a working aircon or water supply, hotels generally have their own generators and as long as they are working you get power ("light") most of the time. Appartments may rely solely on NEPA plc (Never Expect Power Again please light candle- the government supply) or have a gen. that runs sometimes, relies on a diesel supply. Water will be from some nearby borehole/ delivered by truck and not potable.
public transport is a bit dodgy. I have seen many crushed bodies of either okada (motor bike taxis) drivers/passengers and mangled minibuses outside Lagos. But using hotel taxis in Lagos is relatively safe because traffic is usually moving very slowly or not at all.
Food prices- yams and cassava are cheap but if you want to eat western food or buy imported goods generally double the price in Europe.
Health insurance? if you get ill make sure your insurance pays for you to be medivacced to SA. Take prophylaxis for malaria to avoid dying.

expat schools/ rich Nigerians either send their children to boarding school in Ghana/ Abuja or to saint Saviours in lagos. Not cheap.
lots of good restarants expect to pay $60 plus per head.
Energy prices ...sling a line over on overhead cable/ buy your own gen and diesel/ rely on Nepa and pay not  just your own bill...
Internet. You might be with a company in whose interests it is to use a good ISP. Most are intermittent.
DSTV for those that have the satellite. Lots of cafes and pubs where you can enjoy a beer or coffee. near christmas avoid such places near a bank in case you get caught in the cross fire of an armed robbery
Cinema is the best, enjoy audience participation like no where else in the world.
Don't go to Nigeria for less than $400,000 pa if you are with a family and paying for everything. If your company provide secure accommodation/ schooling/ transport, $200,000 would make it worth while. Or for a bachelor $100,000 if you want to enjoy an enriching cultural experience.
I left lagos a few months ago. Quite miss it!
p.s. if you go to Port Harcourt / Warri, in fact anywhere in the south of Nigeria you need round the clock armed security. Kano and Abuja are relatively safe.

Hi Croat82

I believe Nitin Pohnerkar's post with regards to Nigeria was an exaggerated exaggeration of the truth (I'm trying to amplify this point). I returned to the UK from Nigeria 6 weeks ago and as a frequent visitor to the country it really isn't that bad, it does have its annoyances but then so does every other country, I'm from the UK and considering this is suppose to be a first class country I'd have to say Nigeria isn't doing too bad at all. If you enjoy overcrowding, people congestion, poor customer services, dirty surroundings, amorality, then sure come to the UK, but thats for another day.
Nigeria is a large and diverse country, annoyances like intermittent electric, shortage of water at times can be a problem, but like everything there are ways round that, I was there for 4 months and yes I did experience these things but I have to say the good far outweighed the bad.
I was in Abuja for the majority of my stay, and on occasion did stay at Transcorp Hilton Hotel where there was continuous power, the staff were friendly and helpful and there was always running water, everything you'd expect from a premier hotel, Oh and in the afternoon when the heat was at its highest the aircon was working just fine.
I have to agree eating out can be a bit costly, and buying foreign groceries can potentially set you back a bit, imported items in Nigeria are generally double the original price, again there are ways round that, anytime I go to Nigeria for a few months which is a few times during the year, Ill always take necessary items purchased from the UK back with me... toiletries and the like.
If you live a moderate life whilst in Nigeria you can manage on 950 euros a month, however if you have family with you ie wife and kids that might be a little low. Again it depends on a few dynamics, if you have kids will your'e employers be paying for their schooling? if you have a spouse will she also be working? Good education in Nigeria comes at a price, a good international school (primary school age) costs in the region of 100,000 naira plus a term, however I have to add the education in Nigeria far out does the education one receives from the British state system (my colleagues son, was flagging badly in a state school in the UK at age 6 he still couldn't read, he was sent back to Nigeria and within a few months he was reading at the level of age 8). If you're a single man, and accommodation is being paid for ( the cost of accommodation in Nigeria is extremely high) then you can manage on 950 euros. One word of advice though, always make sure you have some money put aside as in Nigeria you never know when something might break down.